SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#261022 - 04/07/09 08:20 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hang in there, Ken. No one can fully understand how bad things are until they visit frequently.

I believe that most people with loved ones in these places end up not visiting often because they really don't want to face the seriousness of the situation.

I admire you for your devotion to your child.

R.

#261023 - 04/07/09 11:41 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Charles Offline

Loc: orlando florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
I was playing a senior care facility today when I had one resident (probably medicated) stand up and get right in my face for minutes blocking my view of the audience. This is not the first time, and I realize most don’t know what they’re doing so I lay the blame on the staff who are sitting around in their own world and doing their own thing and not paying attention.

But I’m being paid to entertain so I‘m dedicated to what I do, no different from the rest of you.

I tend to get a little bothered when things like this happen when they don‘t have to. What are YOUR OWN senior care facility annoyances that don’t have to “happen” when you’re performing? And how do YOU deal with it?

Here’s some of mine:

1) attendants who sit there reading a book or magazine while one of the residents gets up and stands right in front of you and is about to trip over the wires or fall on your keyboard

2) attendants who talk loudly amongst themselves or who enter the room and start talking across it while you’re performing

3) attendants who interrupt the flow of the music for the resident to serve them the customary cake dessert. It takes time to engage the concentration of the listeners and then you lose it when they’re interrupted for sweets.

4) AD’s who forget to submit your invoice and it takes you two months (when you don’t get a check in the mail) to find out.

On #3 above, I’m undecided on this one…I could be wrong. What do you think?

Lucky

#261024 - 04/07/09 11:52 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Charles Offline

Loc: orlando florida
Quote:
I was playing a senior care facility today when I had one resident (probably medicated) stand up and get right in my face for minutes blocking my view of the audience. This is not the first time, and I realize most don’t know what they’re doing so I lay the blame on the staff who are sitting around in their own world and doing their own thing and not paying attention.

But I’m being paid to entertain so I‘m dedicated to what I do, no different from the rest of you.

I tend to get a little bothered when things like this happen when they don‘t have to. What are YOUR OWN senior care facility annoyances that don’t have to “happen” when you’re performing? And how do YOU deal with it?

Here’s some of mine:

1) attendants who sit there reading a book or magazine while one of the residents gets up and stands right in front of you and is about to trip over the wires or fall on your keyboard

2) attendants who talk loudly amongst themselves or who enter the room and start talking across it while you’re performing

3) attendants who interrupt the flow of the music for the resident to serve them the customary cake dessert. It takes time to engage the concentration of the listeners and then you lose it when they’re interrupted for sweets.

4) AD’s who forget to submit your invoice and it takes you two months (when you don’t get a check in the mail) to find out.

On #3 above, I’m undecided on this one…I could be wrong. What do you think?

Lucky

I did 20 gigs last year and had all the problems you faced.Im a very acomadating chap ,but a couple of times I was left on my own with about 15 ladies who were in a bad way.One wanted to leave the room-I wasnt THAT bad,then another pair were having a little tiff over room position,another practically fell out of her chair and I had to come to the rescue and call for help!
Billing.ha thats the main reason I have stopped doing these gigs.My wife was on top of the billing but when the cheque didnt arrive within 3 months a follow up call showed that they forgot,lost etc.Once we were owed for 3 visits,it turns out that the money was sent to another entertainer in another county who has promptly spent it.Chas

#261025 - 04/07/09 06:52 PM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
zuki Offline

In my 3rd year of playing for the elderly, sick and needy, I've become more thrilled with the opportunity to bring joy to others. Some of these people have NO ONE - they wait for me to come to get a hug. It is very humbling and a place where God wants me - this I've never been more sure of.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#261026 - 04/07/09 08:37 PM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles:
Billing.ha thats the main reason I have stopped doing these gigs.My wife was on top of the billing but when the cheque didnt arrive within 3 months a follow up call showed that they forgot,lost etc.Once we were owed for 3 visits,it turns out that the money was sent to another entertainer in another county who has promptly spent it.Chas

I hear you, bro! You must be playing the same circuit I am!

Lucky

#261027 - 04/08/09 04:04 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Captain Russ, Well Done.
I admire your attitude to your fellow man.
let me tell you about my first professional engagement.
I was offered the opportunity to play some music at a Conv. Home once a fortnight. I was asked how much I charged. I thought about this for a while, and told them i would play an hour for $15.00.I would have done this for free, but not knowing what I was getting into, I thought I could always reduce my charge to zero if that was appropriate at a later date. This Establishment was a private company, and I wanted to evaluate what would be appropriate under the circumstances.
While I was still employed part time in the Education System at this stage, it meant that I had to leave my job early, shower, travel to the venue, arrange my equipment up two floors, perform for 1 hour , and get back home again for $15.00.
The money was not an issue with me, as I said, I would do it for zero, if that is what they were happy with. But after a break at Christmas Time, I was told they had a new Occupational Therapist ( A,D, to you)and would be going in a new direction.
I have no doubt that the residents enjoyed my input, because before that, they had community singing without any music, and that was the purpose of my contribution, to provide music with their singing.
I always remember one lady who complained loudly when she was seated at the rear of the room and could not hear, but at the end of that day, made a point of saying to me as she left the room,"You played real good son, I enjoyed it immensely".
My day was complete.
As far as other comments have been made, I believe the overall problem comes back to the attitude and obligation of Staff in relation to/and organisation of the activities in their day to day programming, to avoid conflict with what is scheduled in their daily routine, and to avoid any conflict of interests.
Just my 2 cents worth
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#261028 - 04/08/09 05:04 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
I hear you, bro! You must be playing the same circuit I am!

Lucky

Guys-Seriously, billing/receivables can be a pain in the ass, but it shouldn't be THAT bad.

In 14+ years of 350+ gigs per year, I've probably had less than five accounts go more than 6 weeks.

I'll start a fresh thread on getting paid at nursing homes, so it doesn't take away from this one...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#261029 - 04/08/09 05:24 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
........I had someone grab my balls one time while I was walking through the room..............

And then you played "Great balls of fire", right?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online