SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#260972 - 04/06/09 07:45 AM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
It is asolutely amazing to learn that the thousands of musicians that have bought Bose are stupid or gullable,or both. That icludes me and my tinned eared customers that rave about it.

#260973 - 04/06/09 08:16 AM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Kingfrog

Don’t know what Audiophiles you mix with, but over here we go for faithful to the original, using our ears to directly compare products with real instruments and sounds. (Specs are only used to see if the size is right, and the product has the features required)

As to cables then I and all that concentrate on the music totally agree with you, that providing you have a good quality set of cables, (They fit the sockets properly, have corrosion resistant connectors and have good quality core and screen ) you will be fine. (Buying over the top cables is just a waste of money)

BTW over here Monster cables are sold in discount stores and if you give the salesperson a little nudge, they will normally throw in a set for free with your audio/home cinema purchase, so you might as well use them.

As to studio mixing speakers, then you will find all the top studios have a selection from small right up to large, (Budget to TOTL) so that they can balance the sound to suit all.

Regards

Bill

I think it's more a hobby then a search for the Holy Grail of sonic bliss. IF not why does one person choose the $300K Tidal Speakers over say the...Wilson X2s for $125K Can you understand the maddness? LOL

I believe the technology surpassed biology long ago . It has become like a Covette club. People discussion of minutiae is far more important then the..... actual driving driving experience.......
Audiophiles listen to their sound systems......not the music. Having spent some time on the AVS Forums when I was initially shopping for a flat screen years ago I was amazed by those who watched their TVs and not the program material LOL

Of course Bose is "low rent" in those circles, I would not expect otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 04-06-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#260974 - 04/06/09 08:20 AM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by flatfoot:
>>>...if they did that people would shun them like the plague i.e., even more so than most people tend to do now...>>>

>>>...more people than you can shake a stick at have succumbed to their devious marketing practices and continue to willingly shell out the big bucks...>>>>

So...which is it? Do 'people' shun Bose products? Or do they 'succumb?'

The only Bose product I own is a wave radio. I use it for small gigs where I need backup for singing one or two songs with no mike. Sets up in 20 seconds and gets the job done every time.

You cannot "succumb" to a product you get to use free for 90 days while deciding if you should "shun" it....

In order for people ot decide to keep a mono $3000 sound system after using it I would venture a guess they really like it and the feedback from their clients are equally positive......or one would have to be total idiot and glutton for punishment to keep it anyway.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#260975 - 04/06/09 08:29 AM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I've been reading, but avoiding jumping in here because I don't like whizzing contests, but I gotta throw in 2 cents. My name is Steve and I'm one of those who are stupid and gullible.

About 3 weeks ago Mikey came to one of my gigs and heard the Bose L1. Mikey had always mentioned that the Bose didn't do anything for him and for his outdoor summer concerts on Cape Cod that the PAS probably would not work. I respect his opinion on that and said we use what works best for us. I did not try to sell him on Bose, not in the least bit. After the gig Mikey commented, that what her heard from the Bose L1 blew him away. The gig was in a small to medium size ballroom with 60 to 75 in attendance.

#260976 - 04/06/09 01:06 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
I've been reading, but avoiding jumping in here because I don't like whizzing contests, but I gotta throw in 2 cents. My name is Steve and I'm one of those who are stupid and gullible.

About 3 weeks ago Mikey came to one of my gigs and heard the Bose L1. Mikey had always mentioned that the Bose didn't do anything for him and for his outdoor summer concerts on Cape Cod that the PAS probably would not work. I respect his opinion on that and said we use what works best for us. I did not try to sell him on Bose, not in the least bit. After the gig Mikey commented, that what her heard from the Bose L1 blew him away. The gig was in a small to medium size ballroom with 60 to 75 in attendance.

That's right Steve, I was taken by surprise. The First time I heard the Bose, I believe it wasnt set right. Although I'd really like to hear one in where I play to see if it works for me. I'm gonna vist GC to listen to a Model 2 next.

Thanks,
Mike

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#260977 - 04/06/09 01:37 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, but I was wondering why the Bose's so often are accused of being poorly set up, as a reason (basically, the ONLY reason ) for why anyone would dislike them...?

Surely something that is so preset, and so independent of room acoustics (so everyone tells us) should come out of the box sounding as good as it gets... Leave your arranger flat, plug into the PAS, and off you go.

Any particular reason why so many (these reports of dislike of the sound have been refuted by the 'bad setup' excuse since the beginning) manage to screw up what ought to be a great OOTB sound in the first place?

#260978 - 04/06/09 02:25 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, I certainly never said it was perfect out of the box. It is CRITICAL to set the gain-staging properly. There are detailed step-by-step instructions how to do this. You only have to do it once and it isn't difficult, but it must be done.
Also, most people over-equalize. They can't seem to get that old "V" e.q. curve out of their heads.
The L1 is simple to set up and use, but you must follow the directions the first time you set it up.
Then you can screw it up by boosting the bass "a little" on the keyboard, then boosting it again on the mixer, if you use one, then maybe again on the remote. A little e.q. goes a long way and most of it is unnecessary with the Bose. I basically run it flat and tweak just a little for extreme rooms or situations.
The first time I saw one in person was at a Guitar Center in Memphis. The guy played a guitar through it and said ain't that wonderful, but it wasn't. I plugged in a WAV recording of myself, and it blew the guy away. He couldn't say enough how great it sounded. It sounded terrible. It had no bottom what-so-ever. The salesman lost all credibility with me at that point, because either he was deaf or trying to con me.
I left and drove home and ordered one with 90-day return. I plugged it in, set it up and have never looked back.
Evidently the guy at the store failed to properly plug in the bass module. They cable must be inserted, then turned clockwise until it locks. Otherwise you only hear mids and highs.
Also, it is NOT necessary to boost the high end. Doing so makes you not hear the mids enough. Bose has done the work. All we have to do is not screw it up.
One of the great things is that if you are having any sort of problem, just contact them on the website, or pick up the phone and call. They WILL take care of you. Of course they SHOULD, but good customer service is really hard to find these days.
DonM

#260979 - 04/11/09 11:26 AM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Gonna try ir with my sennheiser E935 and my Takamine guitar next week

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#260980 - 04/12/09 10:19 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If the darn things are perfect OOTB, why bother with any EQ at all? Seems that the only thing it does is screw up a perfectly good basic sound...

#260981 - 04/13/09 09:47 AM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
If the darn things are perfect OOTB, why bother with any EQ at all? Seems that the only thing it does is screw up a perfectly good basic sound...

Because for $3000 People will want EQ "just because" especially to compensate for hearing loss that comes with age...LOL
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online