Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#260962 - 04/04/09 04:13 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Mikey,

Save money and get the Podium 10s - or 4 or them Run the 800 in stereo. You could also buy (2) 800s for the same price

No matter the cost quality pays for itself and lasts a long time..

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 04-04-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#260963 - 04/05/09 02:57 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Bose Corporation is the "master" of marketing hype in my opinion. They don't give you a comprehensive or a "detailed" listing of the specs on their products, realizing if they did that people would shun them like the plague i.e., even more so than most people tend to do now, i.e., those who can distinguish the hype from the facts concerning Bose products in other words.

Most Audiophiles that I've known or have been acquainted with seem to agree that for the most part Bose is overpriced, under-performing, and not based on realistic acoustical physics or on sound audio science. For instance, the Bose L1 Array has all "small" Drivers, "NO" Tweeters, and/or NO "larger" Drivers to complement the measly small drivers on it. They do give you a Sub, true, but only if you're willing to pay handsomely for one , and if you want to run in Stereo you've now just doubled the already ridiculous price (for L1 Array and a Sub or - two) just to have that option and privilege of running in Stereo.

I just burn in anger when I see a company like Bose making money hand over fist that is propelled, in my opinion, on extremely devious marketing hype - to people who don't know the difference (because Bose keeps the essential detailed specifications on their products secret) and apparently people don't take the time to research the matter for themselves to find out the real skinny, or they simply don't care and get sucked into Bose's devious, over-hyped, overpriced scheme and "apparently" are more than willing to depart from their hard earned cash on those same inferior product(s). My real beef is that the consumer does NOT know what he or she is "really" getting with Bose products because of Bose's "dubious" cover-up and secrecy. Whenever a Company doesn't provide "detailed" specifications on the products they sell it usually means they have something to "hide" right? Why else would they 'choose' to hide essential and pertinent information from public view? Obviously they have something to hide, in my humble opinion, and are not wanting that hidden information to be leaked out to the public. Because if the "truth" got out people would then realize Bose products are NOT worth the price they are asking for them and are typically inferior (spec wise and therefore in many cases quality wise) to the competition. And more people than you can shake a stick at have succumbed to their devious marketing practices and continue to willingly shell out the big bucks for these same inferior, overpriced Bose products. And in so doing Bose continues to smile (deviously) all the way to the bank.

You'll say: "BUT THEY SOUND SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD"!?!? Pay any company $3,200.00 + tax for an upscale portable stereo speaker solution and you can rest assured they'll be able to make them sound good or acceptable to the average listener. The problem is you could pay 1/3 that much, in many cases, and get 'much' better sound in the process. And then pocket the rest..

LET THE FLAME THROWING ARROWS COMMENCE! C'mon!! I'm a man, I can take it.

All the best,
Mike

#260964 - 04/05/09 03:48 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
So I take it you're not buying a Bose system, Mike?

Best money I ever wasted ...especially when I get that terrific coverage that no conventional PA system provides.

Hype?

Nah, I don't think so....no more hype than any other company that wants to sell their products.

Isn't it only hype when the product comes up short of the company claims?

You know...something like the Audya.

I can understand your skepticism, and I too felt the same way about the Bose at one time, but once I played my keyboard through two of these systems in stereo, the price really didn't matter much any more...and, as I said earlier...a great sound system need only be purchased once, and a system of this quality will last many many years.

My Yamaha MS60S speakers cost quite a bit back in the day, but I've got nearly 20 years service out of them without one problem and they still sound as good as the day I got them.

I like to say I invest in equipment, rather than just buy it....I believe the Bose was an excellent investment.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-05-2009).]

#260965 - 04/05/09 03:58 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
So I take it you're not buying a Bose system, Mike?

Best money I ever wasted ...especially when I get that terrific coverage that no conventional PA system provides.

Hype?

I'm waiting to try a model 2 with the tonematch.
I have a great conventional pa. So this could work for me as an alternate. I'm wanting to hear about some good setings on both models and then go try agan.

2 systems would defeat my purpose for buying. So if i can make one work, I might be a player. It would kill me though to pay full retail, looking for a deal!!!

Nah, I don't think so....no more hype than any other company that wants to sell their products.

Isn't it only hype when the product comes up short of the company claims?

You know...something like the Audya.

I can understand your skepticism, and I too felt the same way about the Bose at one time, but once I played my keyboard through two of these systems in stereo, the price really didn't matter much any more...and, as I said earlier...a great sound system need only be purchased once[/], and a system of this quality will last many many years.

My Yamaha MS60S speakers cost quite a bit back in the day, but I've got nearly 20 years service out of them [i]without one problem
and they still sound as good as the day I got them.

I like to say I invest in equipment, rather than just buy it....I believe the Bose was an excellent investment.

Ian

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#260966 - 04/05/09 04:16 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I didn't like the Bose in mono, Mikey...the Yamaha S900 that I use sounded thin and pinched through one system, especially the stereo pianos and stereo effects on the guitars, both in the accompaniment and RH.

The coverage with one system was excellent, however, and perhaps a different type of arranger, such as the PA-800, will work just fine in mono.

The Bose is not for every type of gig...it is only for when you want room filling sound...I bought mine for doing concerts, where each person in the audience should hear at the same level.

I have the conventional system for when I want the sound to project a certain distance and drop off, such as I need for restaurant work...where people can sit at a distance in relation to how much they want to listen to the music.

Good luck.

Ian

#260967 - 04/05/09 04:19 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Mike (keybplayer)

ok, listen, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this whole thing has been rehashed so much on this forum, I'm (really!) not going to add to it.

I wasn't sure (by the end of your post) if you were referring to Bose's Home/Consumer products or the Professional L1 systems. (Perhaps your tarnishing them all with the same brush?)

Anyway, if you're referring directly to the L1 and accessories, you should honestly go to the Bose forums - and for the heck of it, re-post your original post there, and see what happens.

Now I say this, because what I think (and hope) will happen is the "At-Bose" technical people will ask you further about why you think the way you do, and will also try to answer ANY question you have with the utmost sincerity and respect and knowledge. The other forum members will hopefully be polite enough to chime in with their views.

The Bose forums really are an incredible place to be, I've learned so much - wasn't hard *heh* - and the Bose staffers who frequent the boards CONSTANTLY, are some of THE most inspirational and knowledgeable people/Musicians I've met either "virtually" or in real life.

Seriously Mike, you're "a man" so honestly go to the Bose forums and have it out with them - into the Lion's den so to speak.

I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#260968 - 04/05/09 05:04 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Bose Corporation is the "master" of marketing hype in my opinion. They don't give you a comprehensive or a "detailed" listing of the specs on their products, realizing if they did that people would shun them like the plague i.e., even more so than most people tend to do now, i.e., those who can distinguish the hype from the facts concerning Bose products in other words.

Most Audiophiles that I've known or have been acquainted with seem to agree that for the most part Bose is overpriced, under-performing, and not based on realistic acoustical physics or on sound audio science. For instance, the Bose L1 Array has all "small" Drivers, "NO" Tweeters, and/or NO "larger" Drivers to complement the measly small drivers on it. They do give you a Sub, true, but only if you're willing to pay handsomely for one , and if you want to run in Stereo you've now just doubled the already ridiculous price (for L1 Array and a Sub or - two) just to have that option and privilege of running in Stereo.

I just burn in anger when I see a company like Bose making money hand over fist that is propelled, in my opinion, on extremely devious marketing hype - to people who don't know the difference (because Bose keeps the essential detailed specifications on their products secret) and apparently people don't take the time to research the matter for themselves to find out the real skinny, or they simply don't care and get sucked into Bose's devious, over-hyped, overpriced scheme and "apparently" are more than willing to depart from their hard earned cash on those same inferior product(s). My real beef is that the consumer does NOT know what he or she is "really" getting with Bose products because of Bose's "dubious" cover-up and secrecy. Whenever a Company doesn't provide "detailed" specifications on the products they sell it usually means they have something to "hide" right? Why else would they 'choose' to hide essential and pertinent information from public view? Obviously they have something to hide, in my humble opinion, and are not wanting that hidden information to be leaked out to the public. Because if the "truth" got out people would then realize Bose products are NOT worth the price they are asking for them and are typically inferior (spec wise and therefore in many cases quality wise) to the competition. And more people than you can shake a stick at have succumbed to their devious marketing practices and continue to willingly shell out the big bucks for these same inferior, overpriced Bose products. And in so doing Bose continues to smile (deviously) all the way to the bank.

You'll say: "BUT THEY SOUND SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD"!?!? Pay any company $3,200.00 + tax for an upscale portable stereo speaker solution and you can rest assured they'll be able to make them sound good or acceptable to the average listener. The problem is you could pay 1/3 that much, in many cases, and get 'much' better sound in the process. And then pocket the rest..

LET THE FLAME THROWING ARROWS COMMENCE! C'mon!! I'm a man, I can take it.

All the best,
Mike

LOL what you dont't realize is most of those who purchase the Bose systems already have better than average systems.....They don;t have Tapco they have Mackie and TOTL JBL and Yamaha Club Speakers, They use proven power amps. They are used to hearing good sound through expensive systems......Then they choose the Bose with a good reference. I wouldn't say they have had the "wool pulled over their eyes" Bose has a very generous money back offer.....No one has a factory 90 day no questions asked return policy to my knowledge. They give everyone ample time to decided whether or not the "hype" is real.

They don;t post specs because they know people buy numbers......(They see 30Hz on an 8" PA Speaker and believe it) They would rather people USE the gear and return it if they don;t like it.

No one is being fooled......

Audiophiles don't count. They buy numbers, specs AND prices. They buy Tidal Speakers for $300K a pair..... to listen to music that was mixed on $3000 speakers..LOL.They buy Monster Cables then cannot tell the difference in a blind test between Moster cables and coat hangers.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#260969 - 04/05/09 05:49 PM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I've been in this business for over 50 years and I have had experience with most of the brands that are usually discussed on these forums. I think that the Bose L1 system lives up to the hype. They worked well in various venues, from private parties in residential living rooms to filling a football stadium and everything in between. I don’t need stereo; I think that concept is over hyped. I don’t particularly care for the set up method, but the system makes me sound good, so it’s worth the trade-off to me. I mentioned the fact in past posts that the Bose customer service is as good as it gets. When I did have a problem, I called Bose and spoke directly with a Bose tech that walked me through trouble shooting and if the problem was not resolved to my satisfaction, I had a new system before my next gig. That assurance is worth the extra money to me. The Bose techs participate in the user forums and that has helped me in several situations, e.g. I had to play in a school gym with horrid acoustics, I got a couple of tips from the forum that actually worked.
Ciao,
Jerry

#260970 - 04/06/09 01:22 AM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Audiophiles don't count. They buy numbers, specs AND prices. They buy Tidal Speakers for $300K a pair..... to listen to music that was mixed on $3000 speakers..LOL.They buy Monster Cables then cannot tell the difference in a blind test between Moster cables and coat hangers.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-betw een-monster-cable-and/

Hi Kingfrog

Don’t know what Audiophiles you mix with, but over here we go for faithful to the original, using our ears to directly compare products with real instruments and sounds. (Specs are only used to see if the size is right, and the product has the features required)

As to cables then I and all that concentrate on the music totally agree with you, that providing you have a good quality set of cables, (They fit the sockets properly, have corrosion resistant connectors and have good quality core and screen ) you will be fine. (Buying over the top cables is just a waste of money)

BTW over here Monster cables are sold in discount stores and if you give the salesperson a little nudge, they will normally throw in a set for free with your audio/home cinema purchase, so you might as well use them.

As to studio mixing speakers, then you will find all the top studios have a selection from small right up to large, (Budget to TOTL) so that they can balance the sound to suit all.

Regards

Bill

#260971 - 04/06/09 05:55 AM Re: Tried the Bose L1 model
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
>>>...if they did that people would shun them like the plague i.e., even more so than most people tend to do now...>>>

>>>...more people than you can shake a stick at have succumbed to their devious marketing practices and continue to willingly shell out the big bucks...>>>>

So...which is it? Do 'people' shun Bose products? Or do they 'succumb?'

The only Bose product I own is a wave radio. I use it for small gigs where I need backup for singing one or two songs with no mike. Sets up in 20 seconds and gets the job done every time.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online