SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#260929 - 04/04/09 03:14 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wersi should reinvent themselves like Hammond did, post-Suzuki — and go back to developing instruments based on their great trademark analogue sound. Wersi's flagship organ should be a "new Saturn" à la the "new B3", rather than the comically woeful Scala. They should "stick to the knitting", as I believe the Americans say. Let's face it, they're hopelessly out of their depth trying to slug it out versus instruments like the Atelier and Electone that are cheaper, better manufactured, and several generations more up to date in features and voicing.

#260930 - 04/04/09 04:29 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wersi should reinvent themselves like Hammond did, post-Suzuki — and go back to developing instruments based on their great trademark analogue sound. Wersi's flagship organ should be a "new Saturn" à la the "new B3", rather than the comically woeful Scala. They should "stick to the knitting", as I believe the Americans say. Let's face it, they're hopelessly out of their depth trying to slug it out versus instruments like the Atelier and Electone that are cheaper, better manufactured, and several generations more up to date in features and voicing.

Why would Wersi reinvent themselves when they already have the most advanced arranger/workstation available today? The factory sounds are as good as any TOTL arranger available today and in most cases better. If the factory sounds don't thrill you by all means load in some AKAI sounds, a few VST's, or sample some new sounds. You aren't stuck with the factory sounds, that's the entire point of an open ended instrument.

I also don't understand your comment about Wersi being poorly manufactured. Have you played an OAS instrument in person? I have an Abacus Duo Pro and if this is what you call poor build quality then the Yamaha's and Korg's are complete junk. Roland does have nice build quality on many of its higher end products although definitely not on par with the Wersi.

As for Roland and Yamaha having "more up to date features and voicing" I'd like for you to expound on that. Can either of these instruments load multi gigabyte third party samples or utilize VST's? Do either of them have the extensive real time controls the Wersi has? My Wersi has no less than 30 programmable sliders, about a hundred programmable buttons, and a touch screen with additional programmable features. This doesn't even include the pedal board or foot switches you can also program. That's hardly what I'd call short on features or "out of date". Perhaps you should know the instrument you are bashing before doing so.

So you've heard some poorly recorded demos here and there and that person happened to be playing a Wersi. I can't count the number of times I've heard poorly recorded demos online with people playing various brands of instruments but I don't blame the instrument for that. If someone can't play or they don't know how to properly engineer and produce a recording that's not the fault of the instrument or the manufacturer of that instrument.

#260931 - 04/04/09 05:58 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Nothing intrinsically wrong with the Scala, just like most anything else... Something definitely wrong with the ears of many of it's players, though!

I mean, after all, what's the point of all that theoretical superiority over 'closed' arrangers, if you use sounds that are inferior? I guess when I REALLY need sounds a LOT better than my G70 in a live situation, I might have to look into a Mediastation, or Muse Receptor. Trouble is, right now, the ones already in just the basic ROM (don't even have an SRX card, yet) tend to blow away anything I've heard out of a Wersi, so far. And are keeping some of the pickiest ears very happy in the studio. And mine, too (even though I have quite a few good VSTi's)...

All without any of the complexity of running a VSTi rig live, or of course the weight penalty of a Scala

From what I have heard of user demos on the T3, G70, PA2 etc., despite some terrible ones, on the whole I think that most players can achieve at least a decent sound (better than most achieve on the Wersi's). And some of the better ones beggar the question... If a $3500 arranger can be made to sound THIS good, who on earth would spend $30k+ to sound only slightly (if at all) better?

I take the theory of diminishing returns pretty seriously...

#260932 - 04/04/09 06:52 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Nothing intrinsically wrong with the Scala, just like most anything else... Something definitely wrong with the ears of many of it's players, though!

Diki,

Why don't you just zip it until you actually play the instrument in person? I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who has grown tired of your bitter rhetoric towards products you don't own and haven't even played. For every one positive comment you've ever given you have 1000 negative comments that are sure to follow. Perhaps you thrive on negativity?

I own or have owned nearly every top of the line synth/keyboard/workstation both vintage and current and yet I still bought a Wersi. You must be on some really good drugs if you think for one second my ears aren't capable of hearing differences amongst all these instruments. Unlike you I can listen to these instruments side by side and form an opinion based upon actual use. Try it sometime. Until then why don't you just stop spewing venom.

#260933 - 04/04/09 11:13 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Spewing venom?

Sorry, but your last post illustrates that FAR more than any comment of mine about Wersi.

Sorry you can't tell the difference. Shame.

For shame...

#260934 - 04/05/09 05:23 AM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
So you've heard some poorly recorded demos here and there and that person happened to be playing a Wersi. I can't count the number of times I've heard poorly recorded demos online with people playing various brands of instruments but I don't blame the instrument for that. If someone can't play or they don't know how to properly engineer and produce a recording that's not the fault of the instrument or the manufacturer of that instrument.

The difference is we've also heard good demos of all those other instruments. There hasn't been a single decent demo of a current Wersi posted yet. If you've got one, go on. Make our day.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online