SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#260674 - 03/31/09 01:41 AM Question about MIDI controllers, please help
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Synthzoners,

I have a friend who is into video editing, on a semi professional level, meaning he can do professional grade work, but does not have to sell it for a living.

The need is for the musical side of the videos he makes, where he wants to add modern beats with the likes of FL studio or ready made loop libaries.

What he wants (what I undestood from the conversation) is to be able to use a controller with lots of knobs, so he will be able to control certain aspects of the loops or the finished "music" in realtime. (probably filters etc).

I know that M-audio offers things with knobs that control various parameters, but I don;t have personal experience or the tech knowledge to properly understand what is in offer.

Can you suggest a solution that can do the job or maybe point me in some direction?

Thanks.

#260675 - 03/31/09 04:42 AM Re: Question about MIDI controllers, please help
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Novation makes some amazing controller keyboards http://us.novationmusic.com/products/remote_sl?option=1 You might even suggest the Roland PCR line (knobs, sliders, and pads on those units) www.rolandus.com
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#260676 - 03/31/09 08:13 AM Re: Question about MIDI controllers, please help
trident Offline

Thanks Squeak,
Any idea about the M-audio products?

#260677 - 03/31/09 08:25 AM Re: Question about MIDI controllers, please help
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I say talk to Fran on the M-Audio because everything I'm going to say on M-Audio isn't good because they have such a high rate of customer returns due to extremely poor quality control issues.

Fran likes them..., but I've also used many of them as well. I also know people who own them and the complaints are always the same. Shotty construction.., keys failing, the list just goes on. I will say that I know quite a few people that have dropped M-Audio and went with Novations line. I know a few who have the Roland PCR series and love those.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#260678 - 03/31/09 12:21 PM Re: Question about MIDI controllers, please help
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have the Axiom 61 like Fran and others. The first one was a lemon, and they sent a replacement, which is great.except for the keybed. I also have an Edirol(Roland) PC80 . The build is much better, including the keybed, but has much less functionality.
Bernie

#260679 - 03/31/09 01:22 PM Re: Question about MIDI controllers, please help
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yes I have owned a few M-Audio controllers..

I did use an Axiom 61 for a while..I never could get the sliders to do the draw bars for B4..

The keys were a little strange to me.....hence I did make a change to the EMU Xboard 61...This controller has 4 zones, and is more feature laden then the Axiom 61..and yes ..my favorite semi weighted key feel...although only 61, for the most part..61 works as a controller..

I purchased the M-Audio Sono 88 when it came out, and I thought it was a great value..The keys feel was good, and it came with several "premium" sounds as well as 128 GM sounds...Making it double as a stage piano..It also has a USB audio.midi interface with a mic input too,,separate volume controls for the sounds, the audio input, the mic input...

One of my girls in the band uses it on stage now...

BTW: EMU has folded tent apparently....no longer ..

There is a new Axiom Pro model, but it is pricey..

The early M-Audio models I did not care for, and yes they had a track record of returns...

#260680 - 03/31/09 11:48 PM Re: Question about MIDI controllers, please help
trident Offline

Thanks, but maybe I was not describing it well...

I am interested in the manipulation of parameters like filters or ADSR via knobs, not playing with notes. At least this is the priority.

#260681 - 04/01/09 12:40 AM Re: Question about MIDI controllers, please help
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Two things to remember to do what you want

1. Make sure that the software you use, can have the features you require controlled from an external controller.

2. Make sure the knobs, sliders etc, that you want to use on the controller are fully assignable.

Providing the above criterion is met, all you then need to do is find a controller that you like the feel of.

Regards

Bill

#260682 - 04/01/09 06:13 AM Re: Question about MIDI controllers, please help
trident Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Two things to remember to do what you want

1. Make sure that the software you use, can have the features you require controlled from an external controller.

2. Make sure the knobs, sliders etc, that you want to use on the controller are fully assignable.

Providing the above criterion is met, all you then need to do is find a controller that you like the feel of.

Regards

Bill

Thanks Abacus,

I found out that this friend of mine wants to use Rebirth. I have to look for the help file to see if it allows direct controller knob assignement.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online