SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#260579 - 03/31/09 01:12 PM Re: MediaStation owners are a class group ;)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
$1000 to 'upgrade' your MS (at cost, no less... Dom does this for EVERYONE? )

So much for the 'open' arranger/WS being future-proof. Most of us can go from one arranger model to the next without that big a monetary hit, sometimes two models!

Wasn't the whole POINT that you merely keep getting free software upgrades to get a better arranger, not have to pony up 70% of the cost of a new S900 just to be able to run the newer software..? As fast as computer technology changes, it is unreasonable to assume that the hardware won't need revamping every few years, just to run the latest software (either OS or VSTi's, with their ever escalating hardware needs).

So much for the 'last arranger you'll ever need'... Maybe it should be 'the last arranger CASE you'll ever need'

$1000 after only two years (correct?)... and that is with the parts and labor at COST. What does this actually cost to a non-dealer customer?! Add the bench fees for a qualified repair man to do it (not everyone can build a computer from scratch) if you can't ship it back to Italy...

Don't get me wrong... I still think the product is good. I just like to see a little reality thrown on to the hype of the 'future-proof' arranger

#260580 - 03/31/09 02:48 PM Re: MediaStation owners are a class group ;)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, I had one of the earliest models and it was a demo unit..with all "old" stuff..The power supply went bad and rather than replace it, I knew that Dom made "BIG" advancements, and the outdated mixer board for one needed to be updated..The rest of the updates was my decision, including the 250 Sata2 drive...I wanted a mic board also...

Do the math ..you could not build a desktop for the money it took to update to the current model...

I don't have a clue where you are coming from...with the comments..

#260581 - 03/31/09 02:54 PM Re: MediaStation owners are a class group ;)
AFG Music Offline

lets see what fran carango heve payed?
96 euro for the mainboard with the special Mediastation I/O Shield and adapter
20 euro for card reader
90 euro for CPU
90 euro for 4 gig ram
420 euro for mixerboard v5
50 euro MS audio power supply
30 euro DVD Burner
260 euro mic board

in my calculation fran carango most pay:

96+20+90+90+420+50+30+260= 1056 euro calculated without bottem case

fran carango is right when he said :
This was a cost price, Dom did not make any money on the transaction...

and keybplayer the hard disk what i get 1 years ago was a maxtor 250 gig 7.200 rpm 16mb cash i thenk now they have a better harddisk with s-atta II

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 03-31-2009).]

#260582 - 03/31/09 03:28 PM Re: MediaStation owners are a class group ;)
AFG Music Offline

and lets see what i most pay if i upgrade

96 euro for the mainboard with the special Mediastation I/O Shield and adapter
20 euro for card reader
90 euro for CPU

but i can get pc parts cheaper i thenk for 100 euro on pc parts i have the same version as the 2009 version.

if you can get pc parts cheaper you can buy them by your lockal store as long that the mainboard is the same to the one used by lionstracs

note the prices of pc parts are not officially from lionstracs site but from pc parts online sites

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 03-31-2009).]

#260583 - 03/31/09 04:22 PM Re: MediaStation owners are a class group ;)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The point I was trying to make was that, down the pike, to run the ever more CPU hungry VSTi's (Pianoteq3 is only the start), and to get other add ons, you'll have to do it again. Dom isn't going to stop making improvements to the hardware, and the VSTi makers are not going to stop bumping the CPU and data buss limits. Eventually, what you have just put in will no longer run whatever is the 'latest, greatest'. I mean, just think what Celemony Melodyne will chew up if it ever runs realtime... and that is the only technology out there that shows any promise about making audio loops play any chord we want, not just what was recorded.

As I said (you saw that, didn't you?), the product is STILL a great one. But having heard the 'last arranger you'll ever need' stuff for a while, I thought I'd try to inject a LITTLE reality into the mix. Not that anyone wants to hear it...

#260584 - 03/31/09 04:51 PM Re: MediaStation owners are a class group ;)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, one thing you will never hear me say "the last arranger I will ever need"....

I will always "need" new toys..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online