SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#259336 - 03/16/09 07:58 AM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Fran, I enjoyed your demo.

Frankie, have you spent more time playing the MSX?

Have you tried the Steinway_B giga piano yet?

Richard

#259337 - 03/16/09 08:14 AM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Yes, I have, very nice sounding, I haven't had the chance to put the time in with the X-76 I thought I had,

I am trying to fit it in.

#259338 - 03/16/09 11:42 AM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Care to cherry pick off that list Donny put up and play a few with LS, Fran?

I've got to admit, I'm mostly interested in how well the Mega guitars and Mega basses translate. That's the main thing that impresses me about the Yamaha styles, anyway, so how well LS does this is important, I think.

That jazz demo used the jazz guitar, which I don't think there IS a Mega version, is there? Perhaps a better comparison would be a modern S900 style using the Mega guitars?

#259339 - 03/16/09 12:11 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Mr9000, you have to get on the same page here...

The demo was posted to show the MS with the newly designed Live Styler..enabling users to play the Yamaha styles direct without any conversion or edits...The MS also has the new XG sound bank, automatically selected when playing a Yamaha style..
It wasn't to showcase any other feature..
Maybe we should start talking about what the MS does that your old 9000 can't do..

You remember, like factory support...

BUT,i don't want to hear yammy styles,alread got a bunch.I WANT MS goodums!!!I have edited my "my 9000 can do it better",It was stupid of me!

I beg of you Fran:
to throw in a Trance-like(not yamaha based) MP3 upload..please please please.I will not judge it openly if that is acceptable!I just want to hear NEW musical blood,not something that is in my presents already.See I WANT to desparatly hear/feel/taste/see/ indeed what the MS CAN DO THAT MY old carcass 9000 CAN'T DO pretty please oh thoust who's lucky enough holdst&tinker with a MS.I would l-o-v-e to be in envy is all!
Pretty please Fran,a trance??

#259340 - 03/16/09 12:14 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The style Fran used has no mega voiced guitar..."JazzGuitar" is a "Cool!" voice...best styles for showcasing mega guitar/bass would be:

Worship Slow...mega bass and guitars

Worship Med...same as above

Unplugged 1...mega guitar...no bass

Unplugged 2...mega guitar and bass

Guitar Serenade...mega guitar and bass.

Frankly Soul...mega guitar, bass and Tenor Sax.

These are on both the Tyros2 and PSR-S900.

Ian

#259341 - 03/16/09 12:16 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Quote:
[b]
Mr9000, you have to get on the same page here...

The demo was posted to show the MS with the newly designed Live Styler..enabling users to play the Yamaha styles direct without any conversion or edits...The MS also has the new XG sound bank, automatically selected when playing a Yamaha style..
It wasn't to showcase any other feature..
Maybe we should start talking about what the MS does that your old 9000 can't do..

You remember, like factory support...

BUT,i don't want to hear yammy styles,alread got a bunch.I WANT MS goodums!!!I have edited my "my 9000 can do it better",It was stupid of me!

I beg of you Fran:
to throw in a Trance-like(not yamaha based) MP3 upload..please please please.I will not judge it openly if that is acceptable!I just want to hear NEW musical blood,not something that is in my presents already.See I WANT to desparatly hear/feel/taste/see/ indeed what the MS CAN DO THAT MY old carcass 9000 CAN'T DO pretty please oh thoust who's lucky enough holdst&tinker with a MS.I would l-o-v-e to be in envy is all!
Pretty please Fran,a trance??

[/B]

Mr9000, I am not even sure if I know what "trance music" even means...

#259342 - 03/16/09 12:25 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
mr9000 Offline

Quote:

Mr9000, I am not even sure if I know what "trance music" even means...

Basically, Dance styles.
P.S. how many internal styles does the MS have?

#259343 - 03/17/09 10:42 AM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
Magica Alfa Offline

This is not MEGAVOICE. This is MEDIASTATION MSX 76

http://www.esnips.com/doc/dd35fe8c-73d7-42ab-bbee-ed444edd229e/HOUSE-STYLE

This is QRANGER STYLE with loopsmasters.
I used simple example of combination: waves + midi.

Best regards.

Magica ALFA

#259344 - 03/17/09 03:34 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
This is great Dance music and it sounds good , until you play more than one chord...

The problem isnt playing loops AFG. I can do that all day long on My PA1X. Its programming styles that change chord melodically when you change chords and doesnt just transpose for example the bass line into the new key you play. Thats where korgs 6 Chord variations per style comes into its own and where the hard work in good style creation distinguishes itself from merely producing a loop or converting a style.

Play that same loop again and add 5 or 6 chord changes, post that up and you will see what i mean. Good styles takes programming, not just cutting and pasting riffs into a 4 bar or 8 bar loop.

#259345 - 03/17/09 10:20 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Glad someone else has come upon that one... Fed up of being the only one pointing out potential roadblocks for the arranger player!

MIDI based arrangers for donkey's years have had features that restrict melodic lines (including bass lines) to a specific range. Newer ones will even adjust lines according to inversion played.

But as soon as you convert a style section into a loop, and use audio pitch transposition to change it rather than MIDI, you end up with much greater, often unmusical jumps.

I personally feel there is a fundamental difference between creating music with loops, and with an arranger. In general, when you create music with loops, you create the music AROUND the loops, accept what they can and can't do, and let it go at that. Styles, on the other hand, are used to play music already written, AS WELL as creating original stuff. And the problem with existing music is it takes no notice of whether your loops have all the chords, fills, variations etc., that it actually needs.

Each has it's own legitimate usage, but often shoehorning loops to do what an arranger player often needs is an exercise in frustration, as it is rare to find any loop library with comprehensive chord and extension choices (sound familiar? ) fro importing into your loopstation. And, as is pointed here, even grabbing audio loops from existing arrangers you already have (and what's the point of that if you already have the arranger? ) doesn't solve the pitch transposition issues.

There really IS some very sophisticated stuff going on under the hood of an arranger that currently, no loop technology can copy... or at least not without a herculean sampling effort that basically makes using loops moot. Might as well use the arranger you sample them from!

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online