Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#259208 - 03/10/09 04:02 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
No you can't. The M50 IS a plastic Triton in essence. Sort of like Yamaha did with the MO series (it's essentially a Motif ES) without Sampling capability

Not at all.
The M50 share's nothing in common with the Triton Series. Consider it a KORG M3 minus KARMA and a Sampler. The EDS engine is far more advanced than the Triton Series HI Engine.

Regards
james.

#259209 - 03/10/09 04:07 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I agree with James, i never understood why that mode existed, it was pointless to me.

#259210 - 03/10/09 04:27 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Irishacts Offline

Hi Diki.

Quote:
James, my G70 will Link an SMF to the registration (UPG)... call up a registration, with everything you need for the keyboard parts already assigned (and easily changed without altering the SMF), and the sequence is instantly loaded. With a SSHD, there's no seek time or loading time.
Every song I do is instantly available. I see no better way than this to perform...

In a way what your talking about there is like the KORG SNG file, only you have what seems external registrations and links to files. The SNG file contains everything needed, including very specific setups and even alterations to factory sounds without effecting anything else in memory.

For example, I could have very different Engine Filter Setups for a factory sound, and if two songs used the same sound, one would not effect the other and I would not be every overwriting anything or creating anything new that needed to sit in registration memory external to the song itself.

In short, one file does it all, as well as holding up to 210,000 notes or 128 songs (whichever is used up first).

Regards.
James.

#259211 - 03/10/09 05:30 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Not at all.
The M50 share's nothing in common with the Triton Series. Consider it a KORG M3 minus KARMA and a Sampler. The EDS engine is far more advanced than the Triton Series HI Engine.

Regards
james.

MY BAD...Was thinking of the TR...We have the M50 and listening to it against the MO8 even, Im glad I did not buy an M3..and further am not surprised Korg lowered their M3 prices while Yamamaha raised them $300 on the Motif Series.....I would have never guess from having one in the store and listening to it, the soundset is indeed "borrowed from the M3....I sure as hell thought it was a revamped Triton.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#259212 - 03/10/09 09:48 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
210,000 events (they aren't notes) ain't a whole hell of a lot if you are heavily using controllers. The advantage with the Roland system is that the HD loads instantly. Basically, about 4.5GB of styles, songs, setups available instantly (50MB internal, up to 4GB on the card, which loads just as fast). No having to load up a different set from the HD if the song you want isn't in that 210,000, involving a boatload of button presses to select.

Your entire repertoire, all available instantly. THAT'S what arranger players, doing the request thing really need. The WS is supreme in the studio, or in a tight, well rehearsed show (where we all see them), but out in the trenches of the gigging arranger player, having ALL your songs available instantly avoids those unpleasant 'quiet moments' while you go hunt your HD for the song load that contains what you want...

I've got a Triton. Love it. Wouldn't even CONSIDER using it instead of the G70 for sequenced gigs.

#259213 - 03/10/09 10:54 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
210,000 events (they aren't notes) ain't a whole hell of a lot if you are heavily using controllers. The advantage with the Roland system is that the HD loads instantly. Basically, about 4.5GB of styles, songs, setups available instantly (50MB internal, up to 4GB on the card, which loads just as fast). No having to load up a different set from the HD if the song you want isn't in that 210,000, involving a boatload of button presses to select.

Your entire repertoire, all available instantly. THAT'S what arranger players, doing the request thing really need. The WS is supreme in the studio, or in a tight, well rehearsed show (where we all see them), but out in the trenches of the gigging arranger player, having ALL your songs available instantly avoids those unpleasant 'quiet moments' while you go hunt your HD for the song load that contains what you want...

Diki, You took my words.Thanks for not making me type.

#259214 - 03/11/09 09:17 AM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Irishacts Offline

Hi Diki .

Quote:
210,000 events (they aren't notes) ain't a whole hell of a lot if you are heavily using controllers.

AS I said, in the real world it equals approximately 30 songs, and that's about right.

As for your G70, it's an arranger. If you wish to compare, then you need to compare it to a KORG Pa2X arranger. I have no idea why you are trying to compare it to the M50 which is a workstation. They are nothing alike.

Quote:
THAT'S what arranger players, doing the request thing really need.

We are back to arrangers ?.
Ok, but the main feature of an arranger keyboard is the ability to play the thing live. Not for it to simply function as a karaoke machine which is what your describing there with 4.5GB of songs and styles.

Nobody on this planet has that many songs. For what your discribing there it would simply make more sence to just buy a simply midi file player and a 32MB memory card.

Quote:
The WS is supreme in the studio, or in a tight, well rehearsed show

Yes, and more.
Simple fact is that the workstation is the popular choice for most live situation. This is why in sales the workstation far exceeds that of the arranger keyboard by many times and why you see bands and professionals around the world using them.

Arranger keyboards have their place, but they are by no stretch of the imagination even remotely as popular as Workstations for live or studio work.

Quote:
I've got a Triton. Love it. Wouldn't even CONSIDER using it instead of the G70 for sequenced gigs.

If I was going to play styles live with maybe a sequence here and there, I'd use an arranger keyboard. But if I was going to play over my sequences all night, I'd use a workstation.

That's their function, and one far exceeds the other at that.

An arranger keyboard is a nice universal tool, but it's by no means the master of all. If it was, there would be no such thing as workstation.

Lets agree to disagree though because I know I'm not going to change your mind on this. This thread was started with a question about a Workstation and I've answered that and explained what happened the last time KORG tried to include a feature like that. It wasn't wanted and if you truly understood what I have been trying to say about the SNG format, you really wouldn't be even mentioning your G70 in this thread at all.

Kind Regards.
James.

#259215 - 03/11/09 01:46 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, James, not trying to pick a fight, but essentially yes , we will have to agree to disagree on this one. MOST players, no matter what they play, have a greater than 30 song repertoire. Korg, by limiting access to one's entire repertoire to 30 song chunks, have needlessly limited what the darn things are actually used for... As you said, if playing with sequences is your main reason to use a WS (rather than live band) "But if I was going to play over my sequences all night, I'd use a workstation" why would you NOT want a WS that could access ALL your songs instantly..?

"I have no idea why you are trying to compare it to the M50 which is a workstation. They are nothing alike."... Again, we'll have to agree to disagree If you're goal is to play over sequences (rather than style mode, which, to be frank, is pretty similar in ways to the Karma functions of the M3), well, most arrangers can do this, too. And have sequencers close to as powerful (or maybe better) than the M3's. The line between WS and arranger is starting to blur away. When you discuss a WS that has similar functions and usage to an arranger, I don't see why they can't be compared.

Look, I'm not saying they are identical. But usage often is. Many arranger players use SMF's primarily (and please, let's not go down the karaoke route - we both now that using SMF's is only as karaoke as you let it be. A WS can be JUST as much karaoke, maybe even more), and just a bit of style play. But I can't see why WS players really are better off only having access to 30 or so songs at a time without having to do a HD load up. I used to use a WS back in the day just as you describe, and I can't tell you how much I used to wish for a WS that everything loaded instantly...

Then I discovered the arrangers, which, although I was still doing live band work and sequenced solo and duo work, were MUCH more friendly to the gigging musician, whether you used styles or not. I am STILL using my G70 in preference to my Triton and K2500S as a live performance tool, simply because of the friendly OS for easy setup creation on the fly. If I have two or three weeks to set up for a concert, then MAYBE, especially if it is a techno thing, the Triton and K2500 work out better. But if I get a call for a gig tonight, playing anything, with anyone, anywhere, the G70 will be what I grab.

The only reason more WS players don't use these things is prejudice and lack of availability to demo and try out, IMO... If they could but see how much easier much of what they actually do is on the arranger...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online