SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#259187 - 03/08/09 03:58 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
zuki Offline

All great advise I'd say your audience will end up liking new songs as much as their current favorites. You can find that new 'diamond in the rough' they'll enjoy. I've been very surprised with songs I thought might be too rock, etc. Like Bill said, you just have to 'sell' them. Showmanship is first and your excitement is contagious - that's the best one can offer (IMO).

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#259188 - 03/08/09 04:48 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I'm onstage maybe four to eight hours a day at peak season.

That's still sixteen to twenty hours a day you can play any darn thing you want..

If you are bored, I suggest getting your jollies at home, if the audience doesn't want to hear what YOU like. I can play all the Bjork I like at home, and the audience STILL goes home happy (which they might not if I played it on the gig!)

#259189 - 03/08/09 06:37 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, there is a lot of good advice here and it is appreciated. I never have problems with rebookings and the people generally enjoy what I play - a lot of it has to do with my personality. I have all my life gotten bored with things after doing them for a while. Kinda of like "been there, done that". I could fill a book with all the things I have done in my life because I have always moved on the the next best thing.

I like my senior gigs and the folks I meet there -often I arrive an hour early just to say hi and find out a little about some of the residents. It is a lot of fun and they seem to enjoy it too. I do requests and that is interesting too because some of the folks I play for don't remember things like the name of a song. I have also used the handouts and had them select tunes - they liked that a lot.

Well, thanks for our input. I am sure I will "get over it" and carry on.
Hammer

#259190 - 03/08/09 07:16 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
People, especially older people, want to hear songs to which they know the melody and/or words, and which evoke memories of better times.
I do pretty much the same songs each time at nursing homes. For an hour show, you need about 20 songs. I can pick 20 from a memory bank of hundreds that fit the job. Sometimes I use different styles, change keys, change tempos, lead instruments, etc., to keep ME fresh. Keep most of it uptempo, and remember that most of the residents' heydays were in the 50's and 60's!
Hammer, start singing some. Start with a couple of singalongs, and before long you'll be singing a lot of songs. I think I would get bored doing an hour of instrumentals too.
DonM

#259191 - 03/08/09 08:04 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
zuki Offline

Hammer, I know what you're saying. I think a lot of us are multiple task oriented and go from one thing to another. For me, that makes life very enjoyable. I love trading, buying and sellind equipment on a regular basis. Of course, the PA800 will stay with me, but I look forward to getting the T2 and whatever else might be exciting. Moving money around doesn't make one broke, just interesting For example, buying the 802 and selling the 450v2s was money in the bank and very rewarding.

I look at it this way: Being discontent like you, I need to have constant change. Musical gear has allowed me to do this. At least I've been able to keep my wife for 31 years

You just had a bad day....keep doing the thing you love most

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#259192 - 03/09/09 04:22 AM Re: Really, Really Bored
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
From a performer’s point of view –
I must love the relationship between the audience and myself, the song and the equipment are only tools for that relationship. The joy of having people walk into a room and then have them leave on a different plane, you and your music had all to do with that.
I say this humbly – You are very possibly bored with yourself, when that happens, new ideas and innovations do not come.
I read this article and I thought of you, I hope the mention of God does not offend anyone.

John C.

If the mention of God troubles you please read this article with the purpose of getting to know something about yourself. Sometimes we ask ourselves the wrong question.

In Defense of Discontent

By the grace of God, we cannot quite pull it off. In the quiet moments of the day we sense a nagging within, a discontentment, a hunger for something else. But because we have not solved the riddle of our existence, we assume that something is wrong—not with life, but with us. Everyone else seems to be getting on with things. What’s wrong with me? We feel guilty about our chronic disappointment. Why can’t I just learn to be happier in my job, in my marriage, in my church, in my group of friends? You see, even while we are doing other things, “getting on with life,” we still have an eye out for the life we secretly want. When someone seems to have gotten it together, we wonder. How did he do it? Maybe if we read the same book, spent time with him, went to his church, things would come together for us as well. You see, we can never entirely give up our quest. Gerald May reminds us,

When the desire is too much to bear, we often bury it beneath frenzied thoughts and activities or escape it by dulling our immediate consciousness of living. It is possible to run away from the desire for years, even decades, at a time, but we cannot eradicate it entirely. It keeps touching us in little glimpses and hints in our dreams, our hopes, our unguarded moments. (The Awakened Heart)

He says that even though we sleep, our desire does not. “It is who we are.” We are desire. It is the essence of the human soul, the secret of our existence. Absolutely nothing of human greatness is ever accomplished without it. Desire fuels our search for the life we prize. The same old thing is not enough. It never will be.

#259193 - 03/09/09 07:33 AM Re: Really, Really Bored
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I have to go with Donny on this one. We are incredibly lucky. It's a bad economy and my phone keeps ringing. I love what I do and never get tired of it.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#259194 - 03/09/09 07:48 AM Re: Really, Really Bored
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

Hammer, start singing some. Start with a couple of singalongs, and before long you'll be singing a lot of songs. I think I would get bored doing an hour of instrumentals too.
DonM

Hammer, lots to be said with Don's quote. Up until about a 18 months ago I primarily just played instrumentals. I started to sing, you won't be bored that's for sure. Maybe a bit frustrated because you're singing may not be up to your playing level. ( at least that's what I find) Good luck.

#259195 - 03/09/09 10:03 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm onstage maybe four to eight hours a day at peak season.

That's still sixteen to twenty hours a day you can play any darn thing you want..

Diki.....

I'm probably the only person in here who doesn't know this.

What is it you actually do "on stage?"...and......with your G-70?

Lucky

#259196 - 03/10/09 07:47 AM Re: Really, Really Bored
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm not much of an entertainer, so I don't get all of my enjoyment from audience reaction. In fact, repeated requests for tunes that are not challenging and fulfilling to play is part of the problem. When I get bored, I set a personal challenge. I change the instruments I use. I re-arrange some of my favorite songs. I refine a solo. I do a modulation to make things interesting.

A few times in the 50 years I've been playing (actually, 53 years on February 19, with 9 total weeks off from playing at least 4 nights per week-started at age 11), a tune came along that instantly rejuvinated me. Masquerade was one of those tunes. It had already been done by the Carpenters and the writer, Leon Russell, but when I heard George Benson's version, it was proof that the enjoyable gems are out there. All you've got to do is identify them and put your own "special marke" on them. I had been working a day job, teaching part-time, running a consulting business and doing 1:00 A.M. to 4:00 A.M. at an after hours club, then 5:00 P.M to 4:00 A.M. on Friday and Saturday for several years. My day job started at 7:30 A.M. I was worn out and needed the "shot in the arm" I got with Masquerade.

Other significant "milestone" tunes, at least for me, were, Isn't She Lovely?, All in Love is Fair, What are You Doing The Rest of Your Life? Song for my Father, Moondance and a lot of others.

Every time I have gotten to the place where I was tired and not enjoying myself to the point of thinking about getting out of the business, one of these "gems' came along.

The next "gem" is right around the corner, and I'm not close to throwing in the towel.

Music is one of the primary influences and greatest joys in my life.

Man, am I lucky,

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-10-2009).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online