SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#258970 - 03/05/09 01:47 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
+1 to what leezone said.
Pianoteq V3 is as good as Modelling gets.

If you can't afford that, then True Piano is worth checking out. Not as good as Pianoteq, but it still sounds very good. www.truepianos.com

Regards.
James.

#258971 - 03/05/09 01:52 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Beakybird Offline

I have the Saffire LE that I use. It's a stand alone firewire card. I mentioned the soundblaster in case there are any soundfonts that are suitable.

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded a trial version of Pianissimo, but I am having problems with distorted sound and latency. Will see if I can fix things.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 03-05-2009).]

#258972 - 03/05/09 02:07 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
leezone Offline

beakybird

the ONLY way to get around latency is to have a KICK-ASS computer
AND have a dedicated "pro" external USB or firewire soundcard.

#258973 - 03/05/09 02:30 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Beakybird Offline

Inside the mix, the Pianissimo doesn't sound much better than the PSR-S900's piano.

Now the question is, if I want to tweak the PSR-S900's piano patch, how can I do that within Cakewalk?

Maybe I'll just live with the PSR-S900's piano.

Beakybird

#258974 - 03/05/09 02:56 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Wouldn't you need a software editor for the S900 to edit that patch within the software seq? Does Cakewalk allow you to set controls within the software to send the appropriate CC's to the S900 for specific synth paramters?

Beaky.., why not use the onboard synth tools you already have in your S-900 to tweek the patch?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258975 - 03/05/09 03:05 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
jwyvern Offline

Beaky,
If you've now decided to keep with the S900 voices, there's no need to "make do" with the S900 default piano. If you want an edited improvement over it there's no need for Cakewalk either, it can be done on the keyboard.............

..Or immediately with minimum effort if you download the file in Post 2 of this thread?

Plenty of people have used it on Tyros's and S900 and found it a worthwhile improvement.

Interesting how my original post continues to be ignored - Just trying to help

John

#258976 - 03/05/09 03:13 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
squeak_D Offline

The tools to edit that piano are already under your fingertips The S900 is no synth powerhouse in terms of editing.., but adjusting those synth parameters and even EQ'ing will makea world of difference. I've played the S900 a few times and have messed with the patch editing. It's pretty logical and laid out fairly well.

When I played with the S900 I found the pianos to be to bright for my tastes. I adjusted (on the fly) the velocity settings, minute filter adjustment, and light edit to the effects and was pretty impressed with the result of the S900's piano with some simple editing.

I still say talk to a few guys here who have one.., tell them what you need from that piano and they can hit their 900's and share the file with you.., or download the file already listed in this post.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258977 - 03/05/09 03:32 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
+1 to what leezone said.
Pianoteq V3 is as good as Modelling gets.

If you can't afford that, then True Piano is worth checking out. Not as good as Pianoteq, but it still sounds very good. www.truepianos.com

Regards.
James.

Thanks for the link James...This might be a good package as Sonar users (thats me ) get a 30% discount. So I will definitely check that out..I have already listened to Pianissimo, and for $78 USD, its pretty good. But I will check out True Piano.

I am looking for a decent piano vst ONLY for solo piano playing, for mixes the Giga pianos are fine.

Dennis

#258978 - 03/05/09 03:47 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi miden.
That 30% discount makes it a great deal.

Check out this video. http://truepianos.yohng.com/daverich.wmv

I know the guy should have dressed a little better for the Video, but the sound will help you make up your mind.

For Piano's Modelling is at the point now where it exceeds even the best sample libraries.

Regards.
James.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 03-05-2009).]

#258979 - 03/05/09 03:55 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
squeak_D Offline

Just curious...., are you wanting this for the purpose of a better solo piano or one that's not a solo instrument, but one that sits well in the mix?

I'll pass on a suggestion to you regarding a "piano in mix-not solo related". Often for pianos that sit well in a mix you truely don't need to use one of the better quality samples on your board. One thing that a lot of people do (myself included) is using the MONO piano patch on your keyboard (if it has a decent one). Mono piano patches really work well because (since the patch isn't in stereo) the sound output isn't so upfront and in your face. Before I could afford better gear I bought the Roland RS-70 (and I still have it even though I have other gear that puts it to shame).., but for a piano that sits well in a mix.., that Mono Piano patch I tweeked is my FIRST GO TO PIANO for this when using that keyboard. The overall sound is already pushed back.

If you're wanting that solo piano patch you'll have to dig into the synth parameters. The S900's layout is not difficult and like I said in another post.., in a very short time I edited a piano on the S900 (when I played it) and ended up with something to my liking.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online