SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#258980 - 03/05/09 04:25 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dennis,
they used to have a demo version on site.. I think mine worked for about a month, before it expired.
I quite liked it at the time.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by miden:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#258981 - 03/05/09 04:27 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
To the OP, I want to agree with Squeak here, very true.

And thanks James I will have a look at it. although I have listened to the demos at the website. It is pretty good. About $120 more than Pianissimo after discount, but it does sound better. If I had the $'s it would be Pianoteq for sure, but....

Dennis

#258982 - 03/05/09 07:41 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

If you use ASIO drivers for your soundcard you should be able to adjust the latency to exceed anything available on a hardware based arranger or workstation. You won't notice latency if you set it to 10ms or less. I run my software based system at 2 to 3 ms (128 buffer size)

#258983 - 03/05/09 08:11 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Beakybird Offline

I just got this Pianissimo.

Funny. Every time I open it, my spyware program, Stopzilla, says that it detected and deleted a spyware program called "Vumo."

I'll see if I can tinker with latency. So far, Pianissimo is sounding like crap.

When you are talking about tweaking the S900, you are talking about a USER Voice. Can you insert a user voice in a midi on the S900?

Beakybird

#258984 - 03/05/09 10:16 PM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
+1 to what leezone said.
Pianoteq V3 is as good as Modelling gets.

If you can't afford that, then True Piano is worth checking out. Not as good as Pianoteq, but it still sounds very good. www.truepianos.com

Regards.
James.

+1 True comes with Sonar 8 P Sounds fine...but using the Motifs pianos now. Much better than the T3 and far far more editable,The adjustable key off assigned sustain string damper sample is a realistic
touch.

But realize this.... you are trying to please yourself. At the end of the day your end users will hear "piano" no matter what you choose including the 900 stock piano.
None of them will sound like a cheezy synth piano in the mix..
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#258985 - 03/06/09 04:47 AM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Beaky..,

Yes.., I'm talking about creating a use piano voice that you'd save in the user voice section (which you would then simply call up like any other preset). The tools you need to better that piano patch are already in your board. You've got the basics of patch editing there such as ADSR.., and Filters. You also could take advantage of EQ'ing which in some cases turns out to be all that's needed for some people (some people have been satisfied with the result of only using a 2 band EQ as well).

If the S-900 allows you to revoice Midi's (can't remember if it does or not as I've not played with SMF's on the S900).., but if it does you could easily select one of your user voices to replace another (if you can revoice SMF's on the S-900).

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-06-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258986 - 03/06/09 05:08 AM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
Beakybird Offline

Spyware program states that "Vundo" coming from Pianissimo is malicious and serious. It deletes it every time.

One time I turn off spyware. Next time I start computer, antivirus program warns that Win 32 Self Extractor Cabinet program wants access to the internet (I'm paraphrasing).

What's up?

Beakybird

#258987 - 03/06/09 05:31 AM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
squeak_D Offline

Contact the company and ask about this program within the software. It could be a number of things too. If your spyware is picking it up as malicious it could simply be a program that the company is using to track how you're using the DEMO version (if the Demo version is what you're using).

You may want to contact Fran as well considering he has this program too. He may know what the program is. Spyware programs can be tricky at times and in some cases will flag a program that's not really malicious.

Every so often my Norton and spyware programs kick back a pop up from the online retailer websites because they've picked up a tracking program the retailer uses to collect "buyers shopping habits". Their way of doing marking research without you knowing it 99% of the time. Sometimes that info collected is even used to showcase or suggest products that may be of interest to you when you revisit the site in the future. Amazon is a big one for this.

A personal example here: Not too long ago my computer kicked back a warning about a program on the Zzounds.com site. It turned out to be a program they use to monitor your shopping cart. For some reason.., my software picked it up that day.

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258988 - 03/06/09 05:53 AM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Beaky..,

If the S-900 allows you to revoice Midi's (can't remember if it does or not as I've not played with SMF's on the S900).., but if it does you could easily select one of your user voices to replace another (if you can revoice SMF's on the S-900).

When you try to revoice a midi you only get access to preset voices (ie. with their default settings).
You can't get access to user voices to directly substitute.
In theory you could go to the midi channel and change all the relevant control settings (and maybe Sysex where DSP's are used) to the new ones, but that could be a pain to do depending on what and how many edits are needed.
At least that's the situation with Ty2 and I'd be surprised if the S900 was more fully featured than that.

John the Invisible

#258989 - 03/06/09 06:03 AM Re: What's best softsynth piano for less than $100?
squeak_D Offline

I wonder why they don't let you grab a user voice for SMF's when you revoice. Can you select a preset voice and tweek patch parameters for SMF's? I know that's probably the long way around doing it and can be very frustrating if you have to constantly program the patch changes though.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online