SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#258955 - 03/05/09 10:21 PM Re: 'Best' digitalpiano in the $600 class?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
We sell the Yamaha P-85 and could have purchased it for 10% under cost.....HOWEVER...We bought the Casio Privia 320 at MAP. Much better value. My wife needed a lighter board for stair gigs.and the RD700 is far to much board for stairs. She tried the Yamaha at the store and we drove to GC in Charleston and played a Previa.She needs both Split and Layer and the Piano wasn't all that bad and compared well with the P-85 fare.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 03-05-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#258956 - 03/06/09 05:57 AM Re: 'Best' digitalpiano in the $600 class?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
If you're looking to have more options (especially in the number of NON piano related sounds that could open up more possibilites musically) on a digital, I'd say go for a more recent Privia model. Action is going to be a subjective issue as well. I'd say the most obvious thing that stands out to me with the piano samples on the Privia models compared to the Yamaha models is the Privia's pianos are "warmer" and the Yamaha's have a "brighter" sound.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258957 - 03/06/09 08:33 AM Re: 'Best' digitalpiano in the $600 class?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
George recommended a Casio WK 8000, and I bought it from him last year. It was $595, I believe, and does the job for me. It's in the back of my warehouse, and I use it to arrange film score roughs or rehearse new material.

Of course, I'm also happy with the NP-30 I bought from George this year ($299.00). For what I use it for, a couple of times a week, in the corner of my office, it does the trick. Not 88 keys, but it's neat!

Hope you find what works for you. George is a big help when it comes to recommending equipment, selling for a fair price and being available for follow-up.

Russ

#258958 - 03/06/09 05:11 PM Re: 'Best' digitalpiano in the $600 class?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Thanks Russ!
The model Russ bought did not have weighted keys. It was semiweighted, but what Russ liked was that it has a pretty good Hammond Organ sound with fast and slow control over the leslie effect.
The Privia on the other hand, has many of these sounds but is more a Piano rather than a keyboard.
I would also add that the Privia PX320 has both Midi In & Out and a dedicated USB port on the back to hook to a computer rather than having to buy a midi to usb adapter.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#258959 - 03/06/09 05:43 PM Re: 'Best' digitalpiano in the $600 class?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I would also add that the Privia PX320 has both Midi In & Out and a dedicated USB port on the back to hook to a computer rather than having to buy a midi to usb adapter.

Thanks George....I have a friend interested in Casio pianos, and he wanted dedicated MIDI in-out (wants to use it as a controller)...I'll pass on this information.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online