SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#258846 - 03/05/09 07:28 AM Re: OT - guitars
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tom, if you're going to do praise music and you want maximum flexibility at a descent price, look at the Ibanez Montage. This is the hybred based on a very successful new acoustic body. It has a conventional piezo pick-up, with a handy on-board tuner. Plus, it has a magnetic pick-up, two outs (some put the piezo thru a separate acoustic amplifier) and pretty effective on-board effects, including some distortion, phase and others. They were introduced at the last NAMM and are on back-order at many stores and on-line places.

I'm waiting for mine. Do a Google search. A Strat is nice, but you'll never get anything but a single-coil sound out of it. If you're just wanting a "player", get the Mexican Strat at $449.00. Sounds as good as any of the pure single coil Strats.

I'd definately get the Montage for what you want to do. It's the most appropriate and versatile one at a reasonable price. Can't wait to get mine.

Good luck!

Russ

#258847 - 03/05/09 07:33 AM Re: OT - guitars
captain Russ Offline

Jim, I was just thinking of trying to get to your part of the country. I just started a new house job last week. I'll move to the patio in early May, and may rotate between the patio and the lounge. I play about 5-6 jobs a week, but all but 2 are for horse farms, the state government, a university, etc. The new house job would be a good place to get together.

I'm looking at your card and will give you a call next week to visit.

Be well,

Russ

#258848 - 03/05/09 07:45 AM Re: OT - guitars
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tom, There are many round hole guitars on the market, you need to look for your price range and what appeals to you.

I place a value on what Russ posts but I tried the Montage and I found it gimmicky and with low quality. I have a 314 Taylor and love it – but I am coming from a Big Band and jazz background. For church music a humbucker or single coil pickup is being used mostly for lead. Churches are looking for an acoustic sound – check this out with the Christian stations on TV.

John C.

#258849 - 03/05/09 08:06 AM Re: OT - guitars
captain Russ Offline

John, look at the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. Inexpensive, but really interesting for someone from your background. I'd have issues with the Montage, too, compared to a Taylor anything.

For the price and versatility, I like the Montage. For about double the price, I like my new Parker 10 as a good value hybred, but that's a different animal if your frame of reference is an import Strat or a $500.00 ($399.00 plus case) Epiphone Dot.

Lots of favorable Montage reviews. Different strokes, I guess. I'll let you guys know what I think when I get mine in a few weeks. Rob Woods, a friend and former drummer in a group I worked with now works for Ibanez. He has promised me one in March.

Man, I love guitars!

R.

#258850 - 03/05/09 02:25 PM Re: OT - guitars
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ, I will take a look at the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, I hear their guitars are good, thanks. One day you and I will have to post the guitars that we have owned and played. Not as a contest but just to share.

John C.

#258851 - 03/05/09 03:34 PM Re: OT - guitars
captain Russ Offline

John, we could do that via personal email. I have only traded or sold/given away 10 or so. The rest, including the first $14.95 Silvertone, I still have.

Tt's a sickness.

Be very glad to swap "war stories" anytime.

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online