SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258836 - 03/04/09 08:37 AM OT - guitars
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
What is the best value right now in a good electric guitar? Acoustic? My wife wants to get me one for my birthday. I'm not playing R&R.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom

#258837 - 03/04/09 08:38 AM Re: OT - guitars
Dnj Offline

Tom talk to Capt. Russ he'll guide you in teh right direction for sure.

#258838 - 03/04/09 08:51 AM Re: OT - guitars
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tom....
Before you decide, you should check out the BAR and the post "Would you like to play the guitar".
Eddie

#258839 - 03/04/09 08:59 AM Re: OT - guitars
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Tom....
Before you decide, you should check out the BAR and the post "Would you like to play the guitar".
Eddie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o3jeHrZbWs&feature=related

#258840 - 03/04/09 12:04 PM Re: OT - guitars
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Skill level, favorite artists...?

Those two will help anyone make a recommendation.

Can't go wrong with a Strat, IMO, but maybe you would prefer an acoustic (and your neighbors )?

#258841 - 03/04/09 12:27 PM Re: OT - guitars
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Tom. Man, it's hard for me to recommend ONE guitar...I got two new ones this week, and that brings my total to over 330 stringed instruments.

The one that came in today is a beautiful Cognac finished Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. It's a 40's looking non-cutaway archtop with a mounted P-90 pick-up. Voicing is modern and it sounds and looks great

I'm having a double-neck made in Spain with nylon string and steel string necks. The steel string neck has a hybred humbucker and piezo set-up.

Godins are made in Canada. This one (my 4th Godin)came from George Kaye and was a little under $800.00 with a really unusual case.

Thing is, I'd be really hard-pressed to choose just one. Depends on what you're going to do with it.

One of my favorites from just a few months ago is a Parker acoustic. It is a hybred, with a piezo and a magnetic system, a blend control and two separate outs...one for the acoustic side and one for the electric.

I'm waiting on an Ibanez Montage...another hybred with added on-board effects. It's in the $600.00-700.00 range (depending on finish).I play outside on patios a lot and use "beaters"...some of which are pretty nice.

Thing is, we could talk more about an appropriate instrument if I had an idea about what you wanted to play, whether you were going to use it on a bandstand, miked or electric.

I suspect that you would be interested in jazz and big band, and the Godin is excellent (acoustic only version is $519.00).

Godin also makes a bunch of other lines...an excellent quality Seagull line, which is value priced and very good as a first instrument. It's the one I buy new players.

George Kaye is a Godin dealer and has all the other less expensive lines from that manufacturer. I'd give him a call. Or, email me with your number and I'll give you a buzz....LOVE to talk guitars!I've got instruments from $100 to $200,000.00, and couldn't part with a single one!

Be well,

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-04-2009).]

#258842 - 03/04/09 01:10 PM Re: OT - guitars
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Can I send you the adoption papers, Russ?

I'd LOVE to be in your family...

330 string instruments. Take January off, and that's one a day for the whole YEAR

I guess in January, you get to play a different Hammond every day?

#258843 - 03/04/09 04:58 PM Re: OT - guitars
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I'm looking for one to use for praise band in church. I know most of my chords, open and bar. It would be rhythm guitar only. I'm leaning towards Diki's recommendation of a Strat. The problem with a Strat is there are so many of them at so many different prices.

A guy that plays trumpet with us and also doubles on guitar plays an Epiphone Dot I think. He says for 500 bucks you can't hardly beat it.

There is an oriental made Hagstrom Les Paul clone that seem quite nice also.

Just wondering..........

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 03-04-2009).]

Tom

#258844 - 03/04/09 05:17 PM Re: OT - guitars
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Hey, Tom. Man, it's hard for me to recommend ONE guitar...I got two new ones this week, and that brings my total to over 330 stringed instruments.

Trust Russ - I've had the pleasure to see them first hand! Quite the authority, if you ask me

Russ, need to get down there again when you're playing one night.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#258845 - 03/04/09 06:59 PM Re: OT - guitars
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
[B]I'm looking for one to use for praise band in church. I know most of my chords, open and bar. It would be rhythm guitar only. I'm leaning towards Diki's recommendation of a Strat. The problem with a Strat is there are so many of them at so many different prices.

A guy that plays trumpet with us and also doubles on guitar plays an Epiphone Dot I think. He says for 500 bucks you can't hardly beat it.

There is an oriental made Hagstrom Les Paul clone that seem quite nice also.

Just wondering..........

Tom

To play in church as a rhythm player I would not buy anything but a round hole acoustic guitar. That is the accepted sound and look.

John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online