SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#258817 - 03/04/09 12:35 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Only point I got was the one about most user music having the RH sounds nearly drown out the accompaniment...

I must say, I keep posting about this. With as cheap as recording equipment is, with as advanced as the arranger 'capture' systems (whether audio or MIDI) are nowadays, there's really NO excuse for putting out stuff that obliterates that accompaniment. Simply record yourself, listen to the music as if you were listening to a CD or live band, and listen to the music as if you were one of the players in the band (not the soloist). Can you hear yourself AT ALL?

Chances are, no...

So you go back to the registration, turn down all the lead parts, and record again... NOW does it sound balanced? OK, 'write' the registration. Rinse and repeat. After doing this for long enough, you MIGHT finally get used to hearing yourself WITHIN a mix, rather than on top of it. If you don't, you are doomed to make the same mistake forever, as witnessed by most of the Youtube stuff out there.

It's not ALL about you...

#258818 - 03/04/09 12:41 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
THANK YOU DIKI! Before I removed my email from my profile I had quite a few lurkers pass my email address around.., and I've talked with them outside of the Zone answering questions. I was shocked to really find out the number of people who are tired of hearing all these arrangers with the RH just destroying the styles in the background. A surprising number of people here would really like to hear the styles by themselves or at least have the poster back off a bit.

I posted the question.., with the understanding several of the lurkers were going to come out of the woodwork and support the request... I just had that itch telling me this post would go south and go that way fast.

Man..., some of these people really LURK!!!! I was shocked at how fast those emails came back to me saying forget it

I think it's a valid issue...., but no hard feelings on my end. I threw the bone out for em and the chickens backed away.

You're spot on about many of the Youtube posts out there too. Video after video of arrangers where it seems like the player and the styles are in two completey different rooms.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-04-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258819 - 03/04/09 12:54 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
Diki Offline

But in all fairness, squeak, it's hard to demand decent mixing and self monitoring skills from people that barely have any playing skills either...

Usually, the better the player (on these demos), the more likely that what they play is mixed well as well. Most good players actually WANT to hear the accompaniment, not just themselves

It simply illustrates what a wide range of playing skills and ability arrangers get used by. To be honest, you don't see this much with WS's and stage pianos, etc.. Only the poor arranger tends to be abused by people with next to no ability at all What amazes me, though, is that, given how the accompaniment is the only decent thing being recorded, why on earth they want to hear themselves over the top of it to the point where it can't be heard!!

#258820 - 03/04/09 12:58 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
squeak_D Offline

Diki in the initial post that's EXACTLY what I touched up. The obvious fact that we have varying degree of playing skills on the forum. So rather than go nuts soloing or not post in fear of your playing skills getting trashed to hell.., just post some styles from these arrangers for people to hear. However, the whole post is moot now if these lurkers will not come out and ask for it. I aint posting another one for em.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-04-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258821 - 03/04/09 01:08 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
John DiLeo Offline

Whats the sense.as so many state that they strip down the styles to almost nothing anyway I think that makes them believe or substantiates them playing an arranger to themselves or their peers!!! I say let it rip....the more parts the better......it's called an arranger for a reason.

#258822 - 03/04/09 01:14 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
Diki Offline

They might SAY that, John, but I sure as hell haven't heard it much in anyone's demos

It's rare you get anything much more than a single note RH solo and MAYBE a pad in the LH. Rest is the arranger. There's a good game being TALKED, but not much WALKING...

#258823 - 03/04/09 01:19 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
It's rare you get anything much more than a single note RH solo and MAYBE a pad in the LH. Rest is the arranger. There's a good game being TALKED, but not much WALKING...

Diki...
I've been saying that for years here...
I can't believe you got it all right!
But be careful you might get blasted for saying it.. I see sharing music as an opportunity to learn, absorb, & appreciate more then anything else. I'm always open to learn NEW techniques...life is too short.

#258824 - 03/04/09 01:23 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
squeak_D Offline

Shoot I remember once upon a time I got my arse kicked just for "suggesting" the possibility that some players here (after hearing posted demos) perhaps are buying arranger to cover for weaker playing skills...., and were relying HEAVILY on the styles.

#258825 - 03/04/09 01:37 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
Diki Offline

Nothing wrong with that, squeak. After all, they are SUPPOSED to be fun for the less advanced player... And are often used by singers to back themselves up. To be honest, most of the time, it's still the singer's voice that people will remember. You've got to have some formidable playing chops before anyone will remember that in deference to the singing!

I just wish more of the 'beginner' players would try some self recording and adjust their registrations. Often it is little more than dropping 10-20 off the lead sound volumes, and they sound MUCH better...

Any of the 'lurkers' out there, simply TRY this... you'd be amazed

#258826 - 03/04/09 06:59 PM Re: Can I make a suggestion???
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Whats the sense.as so many state that they strip down the styles to almost nothing anyway I think that makes them believe or substantiates them playing an arranger to themselves or their peers!!! I say let it rip....the more parts the better......it's called an arranger for a reason.

I totally disagree...more often than not, I just want a trio to back me...I don't want that big band over playing behind me on every tune....

Simplicity is more rewarding...and you can still create a great dance beat, after all you still have what drives the music..the bass and drums..just throw in a rhythm guitar, and play Rhodes over top..What else do you really need for most tunes?

Squeak, I am not one of the home players that emailed you, but I can see the value of pure style demos...I really don't care about what other people play over arranger parts..I just want to hear what the keyboard has to offer...

When the styles are to busy and the artist is over playing...it is so Yamahaish..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online