SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#258472 - 03/05/09 07:09 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Lee S. I am not certain what you mean by key switching. The usual meaning is that with key switching you can change the sound of the instrument from say a regular sax to a growl sax by depressing a designated (programmed) key say in the lower part of the keyboard. This, with the possible exception of the Garritan strings, none of his sound sets can do (JABB, GPO, etc.).

If you wish to be able to change from a sax to a trumpet then you should be able to do that using bank and program numbers. I can do so using Kontakt versions of JABB and GPO.

If you can't do that with their new Aria sampler then that would be a rather large drawback. You would think that this sampler should have this capability given that they are going to provide a GM wavetable.

Another approach could be loading instruments onto channels 1 to say 16 and then switch channels and call up the intruments you need. I often use this approach for my lead/right hand instruments.

"Frank, Yes the Garriton stuff uses key switching or preset banks...based on what Gary G. told me it is useless for what I want. I need full MIDI implementation...Bank/Program change live, dynamic. I currently use EMU 1820m studio, which does support bank/program change.
He does not offer it in any of his sound sets."

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 03-05-2009).]

#258473 - 03/05/09 08:43 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jørgen Sørensen:
We have through a long time been told that MS is superior to any other arranger. How is this possible when it relies on LiveStyler which mimics the Yamaha OS; and sounds which mimics the Yamaha sounds?

Some enlightment required....

Simple... adjustable chord recognition delay!
Yamaha, are you listening???

[This message has been edited by TedS (edited 03-05-2009).]

#258474 - 03/05/09 10:53 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Frank,
The folks at garriton told me that if I bought the standard GPO..it would not work with MIDI bank/program changes. I asked how do you change sounds they said you have to have it setup in a ptrset before hand...(I thought they also mentoned key switching but I may have them confused with Sony stuff) I said WHAT! You don't even have a simple bank/program change implemented? They said nope.

I have't bought a thing from them.
Oh, I said Kontat does support that and they said not with our sound sets???

Teds,
I use 40 ms chord recognition delay with LS.
Works very well.

Lee S.

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 03-05-2009).]

#258475 - 03/05/09 11:09 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Live Styler is only a midi engine that load and play the all original yamaha styles, including the Tyros styles.
It work same way on PC and on MS, depend only witch soundfonts you will use connected to the Live styler midi Out.

If the Live styler is connected to one Midi Out to one external XG expander ( or one Tyros), the yamaha styles will be full compatible.
If the midi Out is connected to the Vst YXG50, the styles are working nice too, BUT the soundfont used on YXG50 is a little poor and not so agressive sounds.

Live Styler work similar as the Wersi, they have integrated some yamaha styles loader engine like we made with the live styler under MS.
Wersi for sure, have cloned the yamaha sounds under AKAI sampler format or is almost impossible reproduce nice XG styles.

Note that "cloning" sounds do NOT mean copy the original Yamaha ROM soundfont or reverse engineering.
We can cloning all waht we like BUT will never totally same as the original 1-1 yamaha ROM and for this resampling cloning system you can never have legal issue with the manufacture, because is NOT original!

After you have resampled the all sounds remain the problem how to manage it in realtime, I mean when you have to switch styles or midifiles.
AKAI sampler: all the sounds must be loaded in RAM first and then can be played and need a lot of time.

kontakt sampler is good, but not so high quality as the Gigastudio version and in both system is really hard to manage GM/GS/XG sounds when you switch midifiles.
this professional sampler are developed for Studio user and not for midifiles and styles players.

On MS we use the Linuxsampler and we have developed the sampler to be used in realtime sounds switch like one ROM system.
With the Qsampler editor we can create unlimited maps and configuration, after saved the LSCP session, the MS will load it in background and the all sounds are ready to play.
here is one example mapping editor: http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/qsampler/qsamplerinstruments.jpg

On qsampler editor is possible setup the MSB, LSB and PRG and link the desidered gig file.
It mean the possibility to create multiple sounbank, GM, GS, XG, all in realtime.
Linuxsampler is a full streaming HD sampler, BUT we have developed one more amazing features:
ON DEMAND= the chace sound will be loaded in RAM, then can be played and when on same CH you switch sound, the chace will be deleted.
ON DEMAND HOLD: the chace sound will be loaded in ram and then can be played and when you switch sounds, the chace remain in ram, ready for the next time, without lose time for the next loading.
PERSISTENT: the chace sound will be always present in RAM and then when you switch sound will play without any latency, like a ROM system.
Of course, more persisten sounds you will have on system, more PC RAM is request.

#258476 - 03/06/09 02:36 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dom,
most of the stuff you wrote is a bit too technical for me.
If I understood correctly, there is something special about the way your giga sample player works compared to the way a giga sampler works on PC??

The array of softsynths that were available a couple of years ago for playing "style tracks" ( for OMB & Livestyler) was very limited because of the Bank & Program Change issue.
I chose soundfonts at the time because they gave me the most flexibility. I could pick & choose which sounds I wanted to use in my XG Bank. The reason I gather soundfont program & bank changes work is because the whole xg soundfontbank gets loaded into the pc's memory. The XG soundfont banks I've come across ranged in size from roughly 32 megs to 250 megs. Not a hassle to load.

Your XG Giga Bank is gigabytes, obviously that's why the streaming.

So what I suppose I'm really asking is, if your xg giga sample was availalble for PC,
would a pc giga sample player / livestyler setup work?? ie does a pc giga sample player handle bank & program changes as perfectly as the MS??

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#258477 - 03/06/09 06:38 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Lee S., I purchased GPO and JABB when the sounds were packaged with kontakt as their sampler. With the current version 3.x of kontakt you can setup multis which preloads a bit of each sample (voice) and then you can send program change numbers to switch between the various preloaded voices.

So it could be in their current Aria version you cannot do this....that is a poor design decision on their part. They will change otherwise the competion will do them in, e.g., East - West.

But how will they get their GM Wavetable to work. This will likely have something like a 1GB or 2GB of sounds preloaded into memory either entirely or in part with the rest streaming from the hard drive.

What do I know???

#258478 - 03/06/09 08:38 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Dom,
OK, I got most of what you said...sounds pretty flexable. I need to see the manual/instrument to really see if I like it.

Frank,
I was told by the Garriton folks including Gary quite a while back that they do not really support live play. Duynamically selecting sounds as yo uneed them. They must be per setup. No good for me, and I told them that...but..who an I to them? Yep!

So, I wrote them off for my use...Hope it changes as they do have some great sounds.

Lee S.

#258479 - 03/06/09 09:45 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Lee, wanna go to Franks place so both of us can check the MS? After he recieves it, we can
go together, of course if we dont kill each other on our way there.

#258480 - 03/06/09 10:45 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Nedim,
not really any of my business, but, you don't happen to have the 2 Lee's mixed up?

Leeboy ( above)( our PA2X buddy from Korg Forums)
&
Leezone ( Audya Lee) with whom you've been having the occasional intense discussion about the Audya..

I gather this reply was to Leeboy?? our korg buddy.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
Lee, wanna go to Franks place so both of us can check the MS? After he recieves it, we can
go together, of course if we dont kill each other on our way there.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#258481 - 03/06/09 11:43 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Dom,
most of the stuff you wrote is a bit too technical for me.
If I understood correctly, there is something special about the way your giga sample player works compared to the way a giga sampler works on PC??

The array of softsynths that were available a couple of years ago for playing "style tracks" ( for OMB & Livestyler) was very limited because of the Bank & Program Change issue.
I chose soundfonts at the time because they gave me the most flexibility. I could pick & choose which sounds I wanted to use in my XG Bank. The reason I gather soundfont program & bank changes work is because the whole xg soundfontbank gets loaded into the pc's memory. The XG soundfont banks I've come across ranged in size from roughly 32 megs to 250 megs. Not a hassle to load.

Your XG Giga Bank is gigabytes, obviously that's why the streaming.

So what I suppose I'm really asking is, if your xg giga sample was availalble for PC,
would a pc giga sample player / livestyler setup work?? ie does a pc giga sample player handle bank & program changes as perfectly as the MS??

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
[B]

Hi Rikki
I think under PC the linuxsampler with the Fantasia frontend will work at the same way that we have used on MS.
with the linuxsampler Fantasia editor, you can create your all owner sounbank/soundfonts and streaming the all giga sounds under GM, GS and XG mode together. http://linuxsampler.org/downloads.html
the only problem is to remake all again the LSCP file configuration under PC windows, because in Linux the HD link to files is different.
example on linux:
MAP MIDI_INSTRUMENT 0 0 0 GIG '/home/mediastation/GigaLibrary/SoundbankGM2/001Acoustic\x20Grand\x20Piano/GrandPiano.gig' 0 0.9 PERSISTENT 'GrandPiano.gig [0]'
MAP MIDI_INSTRUMENT 0 0 1 GIG '/home/mediastation/GigaLibrary/SoundbankGM2/002\x20Bright\x20Acoustic\x20Piano/BrightPiano.gig' 0 0.9 ON_DEMAND_HOLD 'BrightPiano.gig [0]'

On windows will change the disk directory by [url=C://....][url=C://....][url=C://....]C://....[/url][/url][/url]
In this way my LSCP file GM/XG configuration will not working there.
I'm not interesting to make it under windows OS, to much work and not my field products.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online