SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#258452 - 03/04/09 11:04 AM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
mr9000 Offline

..and yet i sit and still wonder,will anyone ever upload a MP3 song from this thing?..or will it be likened to the much talked about 'Bigfoot'.

#258453 - 03/04/09 11:51 AM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Magica Alfa:
But in any case you forget to say that you can clone any keyboard to giga format if you want with full resolution and all effects.

And here is all balanced and ready but i can tell you that is better to use some new fresh ideas for same style.

Are you suggesting that lionstracs are sampling the entire factory sounds off an XG Keyboard ?. Lets say, something like a Tyros ?

Is this the XG library that's being worked on right now ?.

Regards.
James.

#258454 - 03/04/09 12:14 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#258455 - 03/04/09 12:22 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
lol.... Tyros 2 today, Lawsuit tomorrow.

#258456 - 03/04/09 12:23 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
AFAIK, no-one at the Korg forum is working on an entire soundset. Yes, there are talented sound designers, but they seem to be mainly working on individual sounds.

And, I'm also sorry, but simply sampling the sound of an existing arranger does NOT get you that close to the original. At least, not unless you turn off all the effects, envelope programming and LFO's, sample just the basic waveforms, and recreate the whole programming. Otherwise you get unacceptable 'munchkinization' of all the periodic variations (vibrato rates, envelope times, effects) and lose the velocity cross-splits unless you are anal about the recording process.

Not to mention, of course, you STILL lose the SA and Mega abilities without an OS that can do these tricks. Which, from what I've read, the MS cannot do.

I hate to be the voice of reality on this pie in the sky thread, wouldn't it be nice if there WAS an easy way to do this? But it is still a herculean task to do even half baked, and of course, there is STILL the copyright issue. Wholesale theft of a product's entire soundset, especially if made commercially available, will undoubtedly have Yamaha's lawyers down on you like a ton of bricks.

This whole thing was done to death two years ago (if I remember rightly) and we haven't seen the product since.

And all this, STILL to only play non-Mega old PSR styles...

But I think the desire for it simply illustrates how poor the native library of MS styles is. If there were sufficient TOTL styles already in the box when you get the MS, no-one would honestly give a damn about some old PSR styles...

#258457 - 03/04/09 12:55 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hello

There is something here I do not understand.

We have through a long time been told that MS is superior to any other arranger. How is this possible when it relies on LiveStyler which mimics the Yamaha OS; and sounds which mimics the Yamaha sounds?

Since when has a mimicked version of anything been superior compared to the original?

Some enlightment required....

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#258458 - 03/04/09 01:54 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jørgen Sørensen:
Hello

There is something here I do not understand.

We have through a long time been told that MS is superior to any other arranger. How is this possible when it relies on LiveStyler which mimics the Yamaha OS; and sounds which mimics the Yamaha sounds?

Since when has a mimicked version of anything been superior compared to the original?

Some enlightment required....

Regards
Jørgen

Hi Jorgen, I didn't read it that way...The MS does not have to depend on Live Styler...

The Live Styler came about, because someone asked if a program like Live Styler could work on the MS...And secondly , people here are largely interested in Yamaha styles..
Dom, just followed through with contacting Norbert , and they developed this program to use on the MS, allowing the user to play Yamaha styles, as they can on their PC...

#258459 - 03/04/09 04:01 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Jorgan

You have to remember the differences between a software based keyboard and a hardware based keyboard.

Hardware plus points

Will sound great OOTB and allows the user to edit various parts.

Minus points

Can only use what the manufacture gives you, and any additional have to comply with what the manufacture specifies.

Software plus points

No limit on what you can use, therefore the manufacture has no control over what you are allowed to produce.

Minus points

Only comes with the basics, therefore you have add what YOU want and set it up to your requirements (If you want workstation add workstation software, if you want organ add organ software and if you want arranger add arranger software)

Which do you choose?

If you want a plug and play that you can modify to suit, then go for a hardware board

If your prepared to put the work in, then go for a software board, as then it is only your imagination that is the limit.

Hope this helps

Bill

#258460 - 03/04/09 07:55 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, it may be hard to believe that I have not made many changes to my software based arranger system in recent times. As you know I spent a great deal of time getting my system up to the quality and reliability standards I set for myself. I still prefer my software based system over any of the hardware based arranger systems out there today. I have operated my software system now for many many years.

I am all for progress and aplaud the development of the MS. It has a better control surface compared to my system for one.

Rikki, I still think you and Fran should just give up on the hardware stuff and again adopt the software approach....you just can't lose!!! Besides I need some friends.....

Lee S. I don't think Garritan's wavetables will include key switching. You find more of that in the higher end (East-West, VSL, etc.) sound sets. Although Garritan's Strings may have this feature.

#258461 - 03/04/09 09:20 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Sharp, No the XG soundset is going to be from Giga sounds...not sampled from T2. Mapping, velocity etc will try to make it work like a Yamaha XG set.

Frank, Yes the Garriton stuff uses key switching or preset banks...based on what Gary G. told me it is useless for what I want. I need full MIDI implementation...Bank/Program change live, dynamic. I currently use EMU 1820m studio, which does support bank/program change.
He does not offer it in any of his sound sets.

Diki, Also today LS can play styles with mega voices in them...it maps to the best substitute. Not bad...I've used it a lot. Is it as good as a full Yamaha instrument...no, but it ain't bad.
The whole idea of this MS...or software arranger is choice...you are not stuck with only what the mfg gives you.

I personally think the LS under MS is one thing that will be great...I could be wrong...but I don't think DOM has thousands, make that hundreds of thousands of $$$ to spend hiring people to make 400 TOTL styles. So LS wll be a good option.

Lee S.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online