SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#258442 - 03/03/09 04:44 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
They only use Yamaha styles...can they not use Korg and Roland styles as well, or are they just limited to one manufacturer?

Ian

#258443 - 03/03/09 05:27 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
LS does use Yamaha styles as default..however if you buy the 'PLUS' version it includes the ability to play Ketron styles and will use a Ketron SD-2 ($300) sound module to play them back with real Ketron sounds.

Isn't Yamaha styles good enough? There are a few around :-)

The only issues in quality playback on LS was always the less than great XG sound set available to play the accompanymen trackes (drums, Perc and the ACC tracks).

IF and that's a big IF the MS gang is able to create a close to perfect XG sound set that sounds as good as & works as good as a real Yamaha t2 for example...then this is a home run for the home teem!!!
I wouldnot expect it to be perfect on every style...but if it hit 95% that wuld be super.

Rikki,
Hi, I have always know this could be done but just didn't have the time to do it myself. Also, the mega voices can also be done...but that will take some serious work.

Lee S.

#258444 - 03/03/09 06:14 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Lee,
I didn't actually doubt that it could be done, the surprise is, that someone's actually gone ahead and done it.

best wishes
Rikki

p.s.
slowly putting together an xg mapped drumkit for the korg. Hard part is getting the velocities right so that the conversion hopefully won't require drum tweaking. I'll send you a copy if I EVER finish it . haahaa.
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:

Rikki,
Hi, I have always know this could be done but just didn't have the time to do it myself. Also, the mega voices can also be done...but that will take some serious work.

Lee S.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#258445 - 03/03/09 07:36 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I am still waiting for the Garritan GM Wavetable. It is taking more time then originally thought given they are developing the Aria as their new sample engine and abandoning Kontakt. I am not certain whether this is wise move on their part - especially given that I think it uses Soundfonts - rather old technology. The only changes I have made to my software based arranger system is updating the software.

I note that some of you are concerned about how well the styles would work using other than XG Wavetables. In my view the main problem is that XG Drums are different than GM/GS, e.g., hand claps instead of snares and so on. M. Bedesem altered (redesigned) a software program (MidiPlayer) for me which made this conversion (XG to GM) a piece of cake.

#258446 - 03/03/09 10:42 PM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think that the thing so many of us forget is just how difficult it is to get acceptable translations between even bona fide XG and GS soundsets from actual Yamaha and Roland gear. As Rikki points out, there's a LOT more to it than simply getting the right drum sound on the right note number.

Even with the simplest non-velocity switched drum sounds, there is the issue of velocity CURVE, which is only further complicated by newer drum sounds, with multiple samples per note. What is the crossover point of these samples? There's no hard and fast standard, even the Big 3 themselves have no consistent crossover points, nor velocity response curve.

Next is drum EQ... No consistency here, and so on, and so forth. Let's put it this way. It is notoriously difficult to get translated styles to sound as good as the original, and that is with the benefit of at least a fully balanced sound set like you get in a Big 3 product... Now you want to do it on GIGA sets that, IMO are anything BUT consistent and balanced.

It's an uphill battle, that eludes the best of us... Even Roland, to be honest, have a far less balanced soundset since they abandoned GS Sound Canvas based products. Sure, some of the newer sounds are formidable, but the overall consistency of sounds has suffered. And if these guys are having problems, what is the chance mere mortals like us can succeed..?

Just designing ONE sound that impresses is tough enough. Now do that for at LEAST a couple of hundred (what you need for full-ish GS or XG compatability), and THEN make sure that they are all interchangeable (change a bari sax for a tenor one, and have NO volume, response curve or EQ issues - change one drum kit for another, and have NO issues with drum sounds louder or quieter, consistent velocity cross-switch points, or EQ issues), and you start to realize the gargantuan task that faces you...

Now add in Mega voices (after all, what's the POINT of playing Yamaha styles if you don't have the one thing that makes them so good?) and the weird things they need the OS to do (like only transposing within a certain note range and leaving others untouched, all on one part) and the deal gets even MORE complicated.

I hate to say this, but soundset design is a task for professionals, and even THEY have problems...

And all this, just to be able to play PSR styles when a cheap PSR (comparatively) plays them perfectly already. Seems a case of diminishing returns, IMO

#258447 - 03/04/09 12:14 AM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
it seems to be taking forever. I had a quick peek at the site today noticed Aria.
Don't know whether my laptop would even run it. I find the specs , so confusing since the dual core processors became available.. haahaa
Soundfonts, that seems rather strange.
Even more amazing, you haven't added anything. Does that mean you've almost got your setup where you want it?.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Rikki, I am still waiting for the Garritan GM Wavetable. It is taking more time then originally thought given they are developing the Aria as their new sample engine and abandoning Kontakt. I am not certain whether this is wise move on their part - especially given that I think it uses Soundfonts - rather old technology. The only changes I have made to my software based arranger system is updating the software.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#258448 - 03/04/09 03:34 AM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
to the genesys Offline

Diki: “I think that the thing so many of us forget is just how difficult it is to get acceptable translations between even bona fide XG and GS soundsets from actual Yamaha and Roland gear.”
My sentiments exactly. That is why I laugh when I hear Yamaha fans brag that Yamaha keyboards have lots of third party styles from other Yamaha keyboards and other manufacturers.

#258449 - 03/04/09 06:13 AM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
Magica Alfa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Now you want to do it on GIGA sets that, IMO are anything BUT consistent and balanced.

But in any case you forget to say that you can clone any keyboard to giga format if you want with full resolution and all effects.

And here is all balanced and ready but i can tell you that is better to use some new fresh ideas for same style.

#258450 - 03/04/09 07:23 AM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
leeboy Offline

Frank,
I sure HOPE that they use a system that allows DYNAMIC Back/Program changes while paying LIVE. Key switching does not cut it for me anyways in my software arranger activities..

Current Garriton sound library's don't and it is useless to me without it.

Do you happen to know if they will support this?

Thanks

Lee S.

#258451 - 03/04/09 07:39 AM Re: MEDIASTATION with Live Styler player
leeboy Offline

Diki,
As always you make some good points...however, you may be underestimating the level of talent out here.

I did not realize the level of talent until I started participating in the Korg arranger forum. And don't forget the third party guys (Michal B. etc) on the Yamaha side.

But, there is also huge talent that is out here that you don't hear much about.

Boils down to this...this CAN be done very well. It's not easy, but if the right people REALLY want to do it...done deal!

One critical part is who ever is working n this MUST hae a Yamaha keyboard in house to be able to get the sounds right from all aspects (like Rikki and you said, it's not just mapping)

Lee S.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online