SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#258374 - 02/27/09 03:07 PM Re: E80
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
Look Diki ,
you can defend it as much as you want, but in my opinion Roland gave up on arrangers since the G1000. The VA series was a total dissapointment, now this thing is just what the VA series should have been!

Yes, I used the extended soundset, and I know very well about the layering of the sounds.

As for the Guitar Mode, I find it quite usefull for the music that I do!

My primary reason for going with the Tyros is the keybed. It is the best available in the class (61 key-class). I am not overly concerned about the drums, since I will probably use samples ( and, yes it is possible to create sampled kits as melody programs).

Unlike you guys, I need real sounding accordions and ethnic instruments. Or, even if I didn't need them I still want to know that I can expand the soundset if I wanted!

#258375 - 02/27/09 03:24 PM Re: E80
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hitman,

You also get much better third party support for the Tyros2(especially in the style department).

The instrument has the SA and Mega voices that lift it to a much higher bracket than the E-80 (and G70 as well).

If you are content with a five octave instrument, you will be very happy with the T2's action...the FSX keybed is one of the best in the business.

Plus, you have audio to USB recording on the Tyros2 as well.

It is a nice package.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-27-2009).]

#258376 - 02/27/09 03:44 PM Re: E80
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would have thought that if you were into ethnic musics, the Korg would ave you covered in that department...

#258377 - 02/27/09 04:16 PM Re: E80
hitman Offline

@ Ian,

I believe the T2 is my only choice at this moment! Again I was a die-hard Roland fan, but will have to give that up.

@ Diki,
The Korg is fine for that Diki, but I just don't get along with the keybed (E80's is identical to PA800's). The Korg is more suited for middle eastern music, while I am from eastern Europe. Something along the lines of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2F0PcTjbx8&feature=related

p.s. I hope you will lower your guns, since I still play a VA76. That's got to be worth something!

#258378 - 02/27/09 04:17 PM Re: E80
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
Roland is always behind the competition.

You're kidding, right? They practically invented the professional arranger segment. Do you remember how piss poor Yamaha Portasounds were at the time the E20 launched? Where Roland have led, the rest have followed.

#258379 - 02/27/09 04:33 PM Re: E80
hitman Offline

Come on now, please don't take it 20 + years back! Let's keep it within the last 10 or so years!

#258380 - 02/27/09 05:10 PM Re: E80
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
You're kidding, right? They practically invented the professional arranger segment. Do you remember how piss poor Yamaha Portasounds were at the time the E20 launched? Where Roland have led, the rest have followed.

Yes you are correct, Seamaster...the E-20 was quite a jump ahead at the time, but I think the company that brought the arranger to an even more professional level was Korg with their I-3 Interactive Workstation back in 1993...the I-2 was the 76 note version, I believe, and included a new piano sample to flatter the extra keyboard length.

It took the breath (and nearly the monthly paychecks) away from employees of rival manufacturers at its debut at the summer trade shows.

It was the first real arranger that didn't talk down to you, but still provided a very professional layout as far as sounds and styles were concerned.

Now all the big three TOTL arrangers are very close, and it's just comes down to personal preferences regarding buying an arranger.

I sincerely hope that Roland stays in the TOTL arranger segment, as each time they improve their instruments, the others have to follow suit...of course, each manufacturer usually has a turn out front until the others find their own way of leveling the field again.

I liked the E20 a lot...but it did not have ON BASS(that came out on the E70)and there was no acoustic piano...I worked for Roland quite often during that period, and they made some really cool stuff, especially the RA-series modules.

I'd like to see them bring back that concept again...probably more likely they would do it than the others, but I think at this point, everyone is still hoping just for a new G-series.

Ian

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online