SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#258118 - 02/25/09 06:52 PM Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

If anyone ever has the chance to deal with Harold, do so! His attention to detail is unparalleled.

Received today was the keyboard and lots of extras in perfect condition, packed with extreme care and kindness.

Cannot wait to add this awesome board into my act, or wherever

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#258119 - 02/25/09 07:15 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Congrats, zuki...

As always, any needed help can be got quickly and knowledgeably at Roland-arranger.com. Welcome to 76-land

#258120 - 02/25/09 07:32 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Thanks. I thought I was unpacking a canoe The extra keys are amazing.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#258121 - 02/25/09 07:38 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Thanks. I thought I was unpacking a canoe The extra keys are amazing.

Congrats ......so your gonna take both on gigs now pa800 & midi the E60 with it? plus 2 mackies.

#258122 - 02/25/09 07:39 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Diki Offline

It's almost as light as a canoe, too!

I'll be interested in how well this suits you long term... To be honest, there's very little in an E60 that isn't in the G70 (and so much more in the G70), yet you were so adamantly anti-G70 after trying it briefly. And I don't remember the weight being your primary objection...

Be interesting this go-round to hear what has changed, and why...

#258123 - 02/25/09 07:46 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

The weight was a major issue I could hardly lift it while cased. I really had a problem with the styles for some reason. But maybe I was just premature in my assessment, or the older OS was the culprit.

I prefer the E60 appearance and SPEAKERS! This board is beautiful and I look forward to digging in to the extra styles that Harold included. Oh what fun to be an arranger dude. Now how do I hide this from the wife. I still have the VA - yikes

#258124 - 02/25/09 07:49 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Congrats ......so your gonna take both on gigs now pa800 & midi the E60 with it? plus 2 mackies.

Yes to all the above. Call me crazy Hopefully the 802s will lighten the load. Should get pretty soon.

#258125 - 02/25/09 08:01 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

Zuki your nursing home gang is gonna love you

#258126 - 02/25/09 08:06 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Diki Offline

Quote:
But maybe I was just premature in my assessment, or the older OS was the culprit.

If I remember correctly, the new OS was already out, you just hadn't loaded it in. Not, mind you, as it made THAT much difference, at least to the overall sound. The OTS linked to the style was great, and the per-Part EQ was a bonus (but I find myself often changing the factory choices, but at least now I CAN ) that helped, but the G70 is still the G70, just better...

The only reason I haven't sprung for an E60 myself yet (although it's in the back of my mind) is my addiction to the sliders for on the fly adjusting (handy in a live band where you can't prepare in advance) and the FC-7 input, as hands-free is my preferred way of playing. Oh, and the B3 section...

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I actually had to lift my G70 in the flight case alone. Usually a combination of dollying and leverage have meant that, apart from putting it on the stand, I never have to bear the entire weight. Helps to have a guitarist, too

As soon as you can, get into the Makeup Tools section. You will be amazed at just how easy it is to revoice styles and sequences, often turning unusable styles into your favorites without any detailed editing. The drum part section alone is groundbreaking. Easily adjust dynamics, per drum sound, not just overall volume levels, is the secret to getting older, pre-velocity split drum sound styles to work well on those great V-Drum kits.

This one feature alone makes it hard for me to migrate to anything else, as picky as I am about having the style be the way I want it...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-25-2009).]

#258127 - 02/25/09 09:27 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Spending an hour on the E60 has been disappointing. To be honest, the PA800 makes this thing sound like a toy I actually prefer the VA's power over the E. I've taken my VA off sale for now.

#258128 - 02/25/09 10:04 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Diki Offline

What do you mean by 'VA's power'?

You mean the sounds, or the OS?

I'd be cautious about dismissing this quite as quickly as the G70, though. Firstly, there are a LOT of G70 styles, and VA styles, and Korg styles, you name it, already converted for the E60. If what you want to hear isn't in the E60 yet, chances are you can load it. Or is a style that you really like already in it, but you don't like the sound of it? That's where those Makeup Tools come in.

And come on... be fair. You are comparing a $2800 arranger with a sub-$2000 (probably MUCH sub!) one. One would feel very poorly for the Korg if it DIDN'T sound a damn sight better!

#258129 - 02/25/09 10:08 PM Re: Got the E60 today
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I sure would like to HEAR a recording or two of the PA800. I have yet to hear one sound good.
Could you post something when you get a chance?
It is just unbelievable to me that anyone could like the PA800 sound more than that of Ketron or Roland. I'm not saying it's not good, I just haven't heard one sound good.
On the other hand, the little E50 blows me away, sound-wise.
Thanks,
DonM

#258130 - 02/26/09 05:52 AM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Spending an hour on the E60 has been disappointing. To be honest, the PA800 makes this thing sound like a toy I actually prefer the VA's power over the E. I've taken my VA off sale for now.

After only an Hour?......

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-26-2009).]

#258131 - 02/26/09 05:56 AM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I sure would like to HEAR a recording or two of the PA800. I have yet to hear one sound good.
It is just unbelievable to me that anyone could like the PA800 sound more than that of Ketron or Roland. I'm not saying it's not good, I just haven't heard one sound good.
Thanks,
DonM

Don.....forget it, Zuki will never post anything although he says he will many times typical scenario of talk vs listening which will solve all this negativity......as always the proof is on the pudding....the problem sometimes lies with teh player not the arranger kb.

#258132 - 02/26/09 06:16 AM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I had a gut feeling that Zuki would not like the E60 very much.

We all have a sound that we like to hear coming out of our speakers...for many of us it is not Roland, although it still manages to be popular with quite a few here on SZ.

I still haven't played a Korg because their arrangers are not sold here, but I sure would love to try one out and see/hear what the fuss is all about by those who really have taken to them.

Good luck, Zuki....sometimes the devil you know...

Ian

#258133 - 02/26/09 06:38 AM Re: Got the E60 today
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i just want to say something. it would be a mistake to expect E60 to carry G70 sound's quality. it simply doesn't. for what it is, it's good, but do not take it for "best sounds from roland library" 'cause it's not.

#258134 - 02/26/09 06:55 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Someone please flush the toilet now because this topic is fast on its way to going down the toilet.

How can you even compare the E-60 to the Korg PA-800? That's like comparing the PSR-S700 to the Tyros 3. It's by no means a fair comparison.

Ian then goes and makes this statement:
--------------------------------------------
We all have a sound that we like to hear coming out of our speakers...for many of us it is not Roland, although it still manages to be popular with quite a few here on SZ.
--------------------------------------------

Gee how shocking it must be to some that other's may prefer or like the sound of a Roland..., and oh no its sound "still MANAGES to be popular".

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-26-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258135 - 02/26/09 07:55 AM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Gee how shocking it must be to some that other's may prefer or like the sound of a Roland..., and oh no its sound "still MANAGES to be popular".:

Not "shocking", old buddy...nothing shocking about people liking the Roland sound...it's not bad, and appeals to several here on the forum...just read some of Fran's or Diki's enthusiastic posts, and perhaps you will feel much better.

And yes, the Roland arranger still manages to be popular, although it seems to be that way only amongst those who already have them as opposed to those who want to buy them.

I like the sound of Roland arrangers, but not enough to buy one...if the sound really appealed to me I'd have one in a minute.

I would no more use a Roland than I would replace my Honda Accord with a Toyota Camry...I just like the way the former feels and is more of a reliable "driver's" car that just an reliable appliance like the latter.

What Roland arranger are you presently playing?

Why haven't you got an E60 or perhaps a G70 if they appeal so much to your senses...life is too short to deny yourself the object of your desires?

A few gigs and they'd be paid for in no time.

And if you don't gig, the G70's bulk and weight wouldn't/shouldn't make a difference.

Why wish when you can have....a second hand G70 wouldn't be that much, and Fran knows where there are all kinds(or so he says).

Let's just hope Roland hasn't given up on the MOTL, and TOTL arranger segment...it would be a pity, as competition always improves the breed and if they jumped in with some cool new technology and styles, I'm sure Y and K would be scurrying back to the drawing boards and come out with their own versions.

And what's wrong with that? We'd all benefit, wouldn't we?

Ian

#258136 - 02/26/09 08:07 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

What you seem to forget Ian is that there are many people on this forum who are not a ONE BRAND FANBOY. How can I comment on the sound of a Roland as it relates to an arranger..., well I don't own a Roland arranger.., however.., I would think that being the owner of a ROLAND FANTOM X6 (a synth whos sounds do show up in their arrangers and is clearly no secret) that Ican comment on the issue.

Apprarently it means nothing to people here that I also own a Yamaha Motif ES-6.., but somehow I'm still considered a Yamaha hater and basher. I like Yamaha's synths but don't care for their arranger line, but I'm still considered a Yamaha hater just because I'm not on the wagon with the VERY OBVIOUS YAMAHA BIAS that has been present on this forum for years.

Perhaps Ian..., if you just came out and said things more directly rather than pussy-foot around your opinion with some of your statements.., I think it would be different. An issue lately has been about Diki's postings regarding every MediaStation topic that shows up... When on the other end of that..., it's YOU that does the same bloody thing and takes every chance you get to sneak in your Roland opinions. The main difference here is Diki is at least ballsy enough and has the guts to take it head on and come right out with what he has to say about the issue. Your remarks just often get pushed under the rug because you always beat around the topic and sneak it in.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258137 - 02/26/09 08:17 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Another thing to take into consideration is that those of us who own Roland's and Korg's CAN comment on certain sound related issues BECAUSE both Roland and Korg UNLIKE YAMAHA have numerious patches that overlap between their models.

Korg's PA series TRITON BASED SOUND ENGINES..., straight from the Workstations..., if memory serves me correctly TRITON PROGRAMS were converted to load on the PA series back then. Roland (even more Recently..., with the GW-8 series)..., and the G-70 again overlapping sounds with the synths and arrangers. Where does that beautiful lovely piano come from on the G-70?????

How many Yamaha owners can jump up and comment on these issues considering the wall between their arrangers and synths?????

#258138 - 02/26/09 08:40 AM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

I never considered you a Yamaha "hater" or basher, although there are a few here on the forum...but that's their problem not mine.

I am a Yamaha person because love the sound, the OS and the third party support.

I will use other brands if I feel they will meet my needs...but, I just would not toss away my money just to say I have a Roland, or a Korg or whatever.

I am choosing a Bose PA over a Yamaha system, I have also used other brand keyboard/arrangers in the past, when they were the best I could find for my needs...I was a big supporter of the Roland E-series for quite some time, including being a clinician and demonstrator for several years.

So, it's not like I am solely and fanatically connected to Yamaha...I just feel their arrangers suit my needs much better than the competition.

You don't have to like my method of posting, but it is far less confrontational than yours...you seem to have a chip on your shoulder, but you know what they say IF that be the case...it might be a sign of wood higher up.

I don't pussy foot around, Squeak...I'm just more polite and diplomatic than what you're used to.

But, that's what makes this forum so entertaining, Squeak...people like you, always make me smile.

So...you don't have a Roland arranger, nor do you sound like you're interested in getting one....so basically, you are not presently an arranger player....no big deal, but I'm glad that's cleared up.

I figured an accomplished player like yourself would have the best of arrangers, be it a Roland, Korg or Yamaha sitting in the studio.

And by the way, my opinions about Roland arrangers are my personal opinions...if you don't like them, that's not my problem.

You can disagree, but that's about all you can do...they are every bit as valid to me, as your opinions are to you.

Is that direct enough for you?

Ian

#258139 - 02/26/09 08:59 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Don't assume things Ian.... Just because I don't CURRENTLY own a Roland arranger doesn't mean one won't be in my home very soon.

At least us Roland and Korg owners can comment on many issues related to sounds because Roland and Korg allow their different lines to OVERLAP. Yamaha's NOW starting to do this.., but that costs nearly $4,000. You can get a Triton based sound engine in a Korg arranger for less than $1,000. You can get a Fantom based sound set in a Roland that sells for less than $900.

#258140 - 02/26/09 09:02 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Ohhh an yes I would love to have a top arranger Ian.. However.., owning two top end workstations I will NEVER dish out that kind of money considering what all I can get in a pro workstation compared to a top end arranger. NO JUSTIFICATION AT ALL IN THAT PRICE DIFFERENCE FOR ME!

#258141 - 02/26/09 09:13 AM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

That's good, Squeak...I'm glad you're getting an arranger.

Having a complete synth engine in an arranger may appeal to some, but not to me...I could care less if Yamaha went any further that the tweaking that is already allowed.

I have a Jupiter 8 for synth stuff, and the tweaking allowed on the S900 is more than enough for any sound editing I might need...since I am very happy with the stock sounds, I feel no need to alter them other than changing a filter or brightness setting.

If I wanted/needed an arranger with a synth engine, I'd probably be using a Korg as I've used their workstations and synths in the past and they are well presented.

But, I don't...I just want an arranger with great sounds, great styles, a cool OS, and lots of 3rd party support....the Yamaha S900 gives me that in spades.

Your needs are obviously different, and probably better supported by another manufacturer....at least for now.

Ian

#258142 - 02/26/09 09:39 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

My needs Ian can't be met by ONE maker. That's why very soon my keyboard set up will be 3 different companies (Yamaha, Roland, and Novation) to meet my needs with a combined total of 4 keyboards! I'm eventually going in the direction of a software set up, but I'll probably still keep all my hardware keyboards.

I love arrangers just as much as the next guy here. For me I'll never see the justification in the high price on these TOTL arrangers compared to the pro boards on the other side of the fence.

I just don't think it's fair (even if you sugarcaot it to hell) that one person who just "more openly" takes stabs at one company constantly..., then gets dealt with by the admin and members..., while another person who just "sugarcoats it".., but still takes every advantage available to take their stab at another company and that person is allowed to continue..., well it just isn't right.

You do the same thing to Roland that Diki does to the MediaStation. Just because you sugarcoat it doesn't make it right. Diki's more upfront about it..., but just because you say it more nicely.., "a jab is a jab"...., and your jabs at Roland have been just as constant as Diki's have towards the MS.

#258143 - 02/26/09 10:18 AM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

one, two, cha, cha, cha,

#258144 - 02/26/09 12:24 PM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

I just don't think it's fair (even if you sugarcaot it to hell) that one person who just "more openly" takes stabs at one company constantly..., then gets dealt with by the admin and members..., while another person who just "sugarcoats it".., but still takes every advantage available to take their stab at another company and that person is allowed to continue..., well it just isn't right.

You do the same thing to Roland that Diki does to the MediaStation. Just because you sugarcoat it doesn't make it right. Diki's more upfront about it..., but just because you say it more nicely.., "a jab is a jab"...., and your jabs at Roland have been just as constant as Diki's have towards the MS. ]

You are just as guilty as the rest of us, Squeak...every bit as much....how else would you be so good at identifying such behavior, unless you have it within yourself?

You could try hiding the three fingers that point back as you point out my alleged discrepancies (and Diki's as well) but it won't work...it's just too obvious.

You yourself fit to a tee your vivid descriptions of Diki and I, so please don't try and sugar coat your own behaviour and use myself and Mr. Ross as a soapbox for your own rhetoric.

As I said, you always manage to give me a good laugh...especially with this self-righteous malarkey.

Having said that, I also think you're a great guy, and a wonderfully cheery person, and I am glad you are here on SZ to point out all the behaviour modifications that everyone else should address....just don't forget to take the log out of your own eye whilst you point out the splinters in ours.

I love this place!

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-26-2009).]

#258145 - 02/26/09 12:29 PM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Yawwwwwnnnnn! Ian..., let's just go back to not talking to eachother. It was much nicer that way. Clearly you and I will always butt heads. I enjoyed the forum much more when you and I just didn't respond to eachother.. You can reply in any way you choose.., I don't care, but I'm done responding to you. I'd rather spend time talking to people on this forum who REALLY give a damn about this place, it's members, and not their own ego and this need to have the last word that always ends with some smartass remark.

#258146 - 02/26/09 01:14 PM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
I love arrangers just as much as the next guy here. For me I'll never see the justification in the high price on these TOTL arrangers compared to the pro boards on the other side of the fence.

You simply just don't love arrangers enough, or at least much as the rest of us who don't mind paying the difference to get an instrument that allows us to play "live" with a backup band without needing SMF or MP3 backing (unless we choose to use them).

Obviously you don't want to pay the price of admission to get one, so perhaps it's easier to complain and do without.

Remember, for every one person that uses the excuse that arrangers are too pricey compared to workstations not to buy, there are hundreds who simply buy the arranger and don't give a second thought about the price difference.

I'd rather be playing, rather than waiting for what's never going to happen.

Ian

#258147 - 02/26/09 01:55 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

#258148 - 02/26/09 02:08 PM Re: Got the E60 today
adimatis Offline

man, is that E60 traveled alot or what?!
and still on the road!...

#258149 - 02/26/09 03:00 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Diki Offline

These threads wouldn't go like this if the buyer of the arranger were a bit more honest and simply said that they were buying something just to try it out.

"Cannot wait to add this awesome board into my act, or wherever" is completely misleading. 'Cannot wait to hear this for the first time and decide if I like it' would have been a lot closer to the truth.

And, let's face it... if he hated the G70, who on earth expects to like a considerably lesser model with most of the same sounds, styles, and OS in it? A crazy optimist is all I can think of!

Wasn't the VA7 somewhere around the price of a PA800 (or more) when it came out, too? Zuki payed about a grand for the E60, and expects it to better a @$3k arranger. Just not going to happen... You get what you pay for

Short attention span theater... Tune in next week for another brief tryout...!

#258150 - 02/26/09 03:32 PM Re: Got the E60 today
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
Come on guys, I think you are being a bit harsh on ZUKI.

#258151 - 02/26/09 03:53 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
sorry for the triple post I was posting from my Blackberry with it's slow response I hit send 3 times in error.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 02-26-2009).]

#258152 - 02/26/09 03:53 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Thanks,
DonM

I have some demos of the PA800 on my web site
Steveonpiano.com. Click on the demo link all except
Over The Rainbow were done on the 800.

#258153 - 02/26/09 03:53 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Thanks,
DonM

I have some demos of the PA800 on my web site
Steveonpiano.com. Click on the demo link all except
Over The Rainbow were done on the 800.

#258154 - 02/26/09 04:09 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
However misguided the decision may have been, I still feel what must have been Zuki's disappointment.

#258155 - 02/26/09 05:19 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Quote:

Don.....forget it, Zuki will never post anything although he says he will many times typical scenario of talk vs listening which will solve all this negativity......as always the proof is on the pudding....the problem sometimes lies with teh player not the arranger kb.

Yep, that's it Donny - thanks for clearing it up

#258156 - 02/26/09 05:39 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
These threads wouldn't go like this if the buyer of the arranger were a bit more honest and simply said that they were buying something just to try it out.

"Cannot wait to add this awesome board into my act, or wherever" is completely misleading. 'Cannot wait to hear this for the first time and decide if I like it' would have been a lot closer to the truth.

And, let's face it... if he hated the G70, who on earth expects to like a considerably lesser model with most of the same sounds, styles, and OS in it? A crazy optimist is all I can think of!

Wasn't the VA7 somewhere around the price of a PA800 (or more) when it came out, too? Zuki payed about a grand for the E60, and expects it to better a @$3k arranger. Just not going to happen... You get what you pay for

Short attention span theater... Tune in next week for another brief tryout...!

Not so fast, Mr Warmth, Jr.

I happen to like the VA. Roland corporate told me the E60 was the replacement. Speakers, 76 keys, 10 year newer model - was expecting more, simple as that.

But I'm not done - give me another hour or so

Thanks Hitman

Stick around long enough - you'll get abused too

#258157 - 02/26/09 05:48 PM Re: Got the E60 today
hitman Offline

Oh don't worry Zuki, I've seen worse than this gang...LOL

It is sad to see how people get emotional about a bunch of plastic and metal, or the company who doesn't care about anything except their money.

#258158 - 02/26/09 05:50 PM Re: Got the E60 today
hitman Offline

p.s. that is the beauty of marketing ...

#258159 - 02/26/09 05:57 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Diki Offline

Quote:
Cannot wait to add this awesome board into my act, or wherever

Just curious as to how you got that impression without playing the E60?

#258160 - 02/26/09 07:39 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Diki, I know you're probably scratching your head about my antics

"wherever" ended up meaning "for sale". Played more tonight - will just not work for me. I prefer the VA by far. It has way more power (sounds, styles) IMO. I can also live with the VA OS and just put stuff in UP. Hey, the saga will continue. If the VA is meant to be, no problem. I know it would be special live.

#258161 - 02/26/09 07:45 PM Re: Got the E60 today
hitman Offline

Zuki,

Have you tried the Tyros 2 ??

#258162 - 02/26/09 08:22 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
LOL I LOVE these threads...

Yamaha, Roland, Korg...The Big three. All relevant, All different. All focused on different user needs.

I have had all three at one time or another in my little studio and used them for different voices. To this day they have their voice strengths and weaknesses.

I prefer Yamaha because I like acoustic sounds and to my ears they sound the most real. I also like the Arranger Support.

I like Roland because of the EASE of USE,
I like Korg because the Triton WS has been at the heart of my music for the pas 10 years

Why now Yamaha (beside the employee cost which meant nothing when I bought the PA2x FIRST based on my history with Korg)

ITs not so much Yamaha as the feeling Roland and Korg have always with good reason catered to the "music of the day" I find too much Hip Hop , Trance, Garage on and on in the Roland and Korg product with the emphasis placed in modern genres (which don;t stay modern). Yamaha seems to focus on more generic terms and their pads and voices seem to stand the test of generic time...(or geriatric) time LOL.

As far as Workstations go. Roland seems to want to seperate themselves from the DAW with a GREAT OS in their Fantom Series.

Korg is kind of in the Middle but using the Linux (I think) system they won't allow open source voicing and the M3 is a beast to learn, and the recent drop in pricing speak volumes about it's "community" acceptance...while it enjoyed the top dog position for years rightfully so with the M1 and Triton.

Arrangers need top drawer support and constant innovation,millions of readily avaiable styles, easy re voicing and editing, great voice sets, I don;t see any Arranger that can score high marks in all these areas other then the Yamaha....Yes I sell them but I bought the Korg for much more then I could get the Yamahas for initially and gave it a 4 month run....
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#258163 - 02/26/09 08:46 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
Zuki,

Have you tried the Tyros 2 ??

Hitman,

I've been thinking about the T2. It would make perfect sense to go that route. I enjoyed the S900 (no to the buttons again) and played live for over a year with it. I switched out to the 800, but miss some things about Yamaha. Hopefully I can sell my stuff and move on?

If going 2 boards live, I need to keep things light and T2 might be a bit much. Although, wow...what a combination and what an instrument

#258164 - 02/26/09 09:30 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

#258165 - 02/27/09 11:30 AM Re: Got the E60 today
Diki Offline

Well, now that Donny has settled down for a while, I guess the forum needs a replacement arranger collector.

I guess the point I was trying to make, zuki was to ask WHY you used the term "awesome keyboard" if you had not even tried it....

It makes the subsequent turnaround look FAR more strange than if you had simply posted that you were trying one out to see IF it was 'awesome'.

JMO...

#258166 - 02/27/09 11:38 AM Re: Got the E60 today
adimatis Offline

well, it does LOOK awesome!

#258167 - 02/27/09 01:10 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Well, now that Donny has settled down for a while, I guess the forum needs a replacement arranger collector.

I'm kinda proud of myself also ......
There is NOTHING out there that excites me at the moment...for MY needs the S900 is one awesome ax that I really enjoy performing with. Only future units will be in my sights when if I play them & deem them fit for my needs only....hopefully a Yamaha

#258168 - 02/27/09 02:49 PM Re: Got the E60 today
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Quote:
Diki, I know you're probably scratching your head about my antics

"wherever" ended up meaning "for sale". Played more tonight - will just not work for me. I prefer the VA by far. It has way more power (sounds, styles) IMO. I can also live with the VA OS and just put stuff in UP. Hey, the saga will continue. If the VA is meant to be, no problem. I know it would be special live.

wanna buy my T2 Jim?
Maybe I'll buy a T3 from frank

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#258169 - 02/27/09 02:56 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Diki Offline

Quote:
I'm kinda proud of myself also .....

We're ALL proud of you, Donny...

Beating an addiction THAT deep is an achievement of the highest caliber

Maybe you could mentor some other's here with the same disease?

#258170 - 02/27/09 03:13 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

Quote:
We're ALL proud of you, Donny...

Beating an addiction THAT deep is an achievement of the highest caliber

Maybe you could mentor some other's here with the same disease?

Diki thank you so much for your concern..
I would love to help the other addicts but first they need to come into teh office and let me listen to the symptoms.. but alas many here are still in serious denial Until they come to grips with sharing their problem I can't do anything there is where the real problem exists...

#258171 - 02/27/09 03:14 PM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Hitman,

I've been thinking about the T2. It would make perfect sense to go that route. I need to keep things light and T2 might be a bit much. Although, wow...what a combination and what an instrument

The T2 weighs almost exactly the same as your PA-800...if the latter has audio/line inputs, you could use them to monitor the former.

You should be able to get a Tyros2 for a decent price now that the T3 is out.

Ian

#258172 - 02/27/09 04:59 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I just want to add soemthing to this thread in terms of synth and arranger in one...

I recently swapped my PA 800 clean for another motif XS6. (I made a mistake by selling my motif XS last year) - here are my reasons for chosing korg and for dumping it:

I wanted an arranger keyboard that had a synth engine.

A Korg PA 800 DOES NOT have a synth engine!

It has synth editing capabilities (still no where near as good as the Motif XS and probably the korg M3 / triton series)

After going from a Yamaha Tyros 2 to a Korg PA 800 you think - wow so many tools and editing options. But what use are these tools if the basic sound set is no where near up to your needs?

i am comming from a perspective of synth sounds - dance hooks, pads, leaders, synth basses, ambient sounds etc etc. The Korg PA highly lacks these voices. there are not many, and the ones that are there are extremely weak.

I gave my korg a lot of patience, i spent time and time tweaking and talking to people on the korg Forums - lots of help - no doubt the korg users are friendly and highly knowledgable.

I constantly was posting on the korg forum asking for more synth sound banks (dance hooks, pads etc etc) to load into my PA 800 and i was given some examples and custom user banks that were from the Triton series BUT still the sounds were not very different from the standard sounds onboard the PA 800. I was very dissapointed by it.

I honeslty beleive the tyros 1 and 2 had a better synth and pad sound set than the Korg PA family. the PA definitely has awesome drum kits, great solo instrument voices - nice live uncompressed sound BUT it just wasnt enough for me. going back to the motif just makes me realise what i was missing.

there is a lot of marketing crap that gets put out there as well as just stories people tell about "an arranger with a synth engine" and people automnatically think they are getting an arranger keyboard that has the same exact sounds as the synth line eg: a korg PA 800 with Korg Triton voices... i have yet to lay hands on a triton, but from what i heard from the PA 800 i highly doubt the Triton would sound the same as the PA800. i imagine much more punchier sounds etc etc.

I even have my doubts about the same comparison between a Roland G70 and a Roland Fantom X. the G70 may have some of the fantom X sounds but really? how many? and are they that useful?

anyways i am much much happier now i have gone back to motif XS land.

i didnt want to stir any trouble by my post, i just wanted to clear the air for some people who are considering buying a PA 800 or a Roland arranger thinking they are getting a Synthesiser with arranger functionality...

cheers,
Nick

#258173 - 02/27/09 05:17 PM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Enjoy that XS6 Nick! It's a great synth for sure..., great keybed too! I was rockin out on one a few weeks ago. Sounds to me as if you hit the wall of reality when it comes to arrangers and their capability of doing anything MODERN and kicking out up to date synth/pads. Yeah.., these arrangers typically fall behind in the synth area in the sound department. The PA line does however have good patch editing options comapred to the others

In regards to the Triton as it relates to the PA line...., I'm not too sure if the current PA line really owes it voices to the original Triton series. However..., The earlier PA models (PA-80) had Triton based sound engines.., and I think (with some limitations of course) they were even capable of loading Triton programs.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-27-2009).]

#258174 - 02/27/09 05:55 PM Re: Got the E60 today
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nick,
So it sounds like you really did not NEED an arranger. If I didn't want an arranger..I would go right out and but a Kurzweil PC3X...no questions asked...But I play arranger not just synth.

I had a K2600 synth (kick ass for sure) but it was not an arranger...and that's what I need to play the way I want.

I plan to add a M3 to the PA2XPRO...and have the best of both worlds...or, maybe even a Motif XS RACK.

Lee S.

#258175 - 02/27/09 06:15 PM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Go for the XS rack man! Great patches in that box for sure... I guess it also depends on what type of patches are important to you as well. I know it's subjective but IMO Korg has amazing string and orchestral patches. Many of their orchestral patches have some killer velocity switching goin on Plus Korg puts some great Combi's together too.

I really like the Yamaha XS.., but I would have to say I think Yamaha softened up a bit and with this particular Motif model they catered A LOT to the acoustic emulation this time. It's got some nice synth patches.., but Yamaha took a big "acoustic" approach with the XS line. Not a bad thing either because there are some very nice acoustic patches in it.

#258176 - 02/27/09 06:33 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by adimatis:
well, it does LOOK awesome!

I think I got sucked in from the looks and features before I submitted my infamous statement that Diki can't seem to let go.

One clarification. Don't confuse me with the wafflers. I have the 800 as the CONSTANT, remember - no changes here. What is wrong with exploring a 2nd board? I still am and here are my thoughts:

1. Back to a backup (2nd) 800 - makes the most sense (similar to what Diki wants now on the G70).
2. T2 - The seniors would love this sound, as they do the 900.
3. AX-Synth - a definite in late fall.

(3) days off finally and it gets crazy the rest of the year

#258177 - 02/27/09 08:24 PM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
wanna buy my T2 Jim?
Maybe I'll buy a T3 from frank

Yeh, maybe. I'll call ya

#258178 - 02/27/09 11:11 PM Re: Got the E60 today
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
All this posturing and jesting about the merits and demerits of the various boards, is entertaining at times. But it makes me wonder are these confrontations really serious, or just literary exercises in providing zingers in a spirit of fun among musicians? If you play out live, does the average listener or consumer of our performances give a twit about the nuances of each board? Just curious: What if you took a random sample of nonmusicians, blindfolded them, and played them a selection of tunes from each of the major arranger boards in the same key, tempo, etc. then asked them to rate the sound/performace? Might the results be the same or different coming from arranger players themselves? The features we care most about would probably be wasted on most audience members I know.

#258179 - 02/28/09 03:19 AM Re: Got the E60 today
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
All this posturing and jesting about the merits and demerits of the various boards, is entertaining at times. If you play out live, does the average listener or consumer of our performances give a twit about the nuances of each board? Just curious: What if you took a random sample of nonmusicians, blindfolded them, and played them a selection of tunes from each of the major arranger boards in the same key, tempo, etc. then asked them to rate the sound/performace? Might the results be the same or different coming from arranger players themselves?

I have a number of CDs I have recorded over the last few years using a variety of keyboards Tyros2, G70, PSR 3000, Korg Pa2xPro, PA800 and S900. I usually give them to a number of friends and family. My latest was done on the S900. Generally no one has a clue of what brand I use when they get their CDs. The latest comment on the S900 recording was " Wow, that new equipment you have really makes your music shine."

2 notes on the subject I have spent more time via registrations tweaking the sound of the S900 than I have on any other board including the Tyros2. Selections recorded were a combination of Standards and 50s rock. That on a small scale seems to validate what J.Larry mentions.

#258180 - 02/28/09 03:48 AM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
All this posturing and jesting about the merits and demerits of the various boards, is entertaining at times. But it makes me wonder are these confrontations really serious, or just literary exercises in providing zingers in a spirit of fun among musicians? If you play out live, does the average listener or consumer of our performances give a twit about the nuances of each board? Just curious: What if you took a random sample of nonmusicians, blindfolded them, and played them a selection of tunes from each of the major arranger boards in the same key, tempo, etc. then asked them to rate the sound/performace? Might the results be the same or different coming from arranger players themselves? The features we care most about would probably be wasted on most audience members I know.

Good post, J.Larry.

A lot of the confrontations on SZ are usually in a sprit of fun, although there a few well equipped with shoulder chips and some that tend to get a bit overemotional.

I always enjoy the different views, and sometimes I'll push things just to see how much knowledge is behind a certain testimonial, or an over-zealous recommendation...but generally it's always been entertainment for me...of course, it is sprinkled with a bit of actual usuable knowledge and/or tips.

My S900 has fooled more than one listener into thinking it is a Tyros2 (and most were owner/players of the latter), and that is with no mods except for the styles which are my own edited versions.

And you are right...the attributes we care most about would probably be wasted on the majority of audience members I know as well.

Some good points you have made.

Ian

#258181 - 02/28/09 05:39 AM Re: Got the E60 today
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I had a gut feeling that Zuki would not like the E60 very much.

Ian

I think, as a Roland fan, that you may have hit upon something here. The E60 does sound much better thru an outboard amp than thru its own speakers. When I briefly owned an E09 I felt that way too. My PSR 2k and 3k did sound pretty good thru their own speakers.

The Roland sound is definitely a mellower sound than Yamaha, but when I A/B'd my 3k with SC88 GM sets they were pretty close.

#258182 - 02/28/09 07:18 AM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

I've changed over the years. I loved Roland as much as anyone here, but when the 800 came along it ruined it for Roland.

I've tried my best to go back (G70/E60), but can't recover yesterday's desire.

I don't believe Roland has done much in R&D to improve their sound/styles while Korg and Yamaha moved ahead (IMO).

The E60 was very thin to me. There are a few nice sounds and styles, but about 10% at the most - nah....

Either another 800 or a T2 next. I'll revisit Roland when their AX-Synth is out.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online