SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#258178 - 02/27/09 11:11 PM Re: Got the E60 today
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
All this posturing and jesting about the merits and demerits of the various boards, is entertaining at times. But it makes me wonder are these confrontations really serious, or just literary exercises in providing zingers in a spirit of fun among musicians? If you play out live, does the average listener or consumer of our performances give a twit about the nuances of each board? Just curious: What if you took a random sample of nonmusicians, blindfolded them, and played them a selection of tunes from each of the major arranger boards in the same key, tempo, etc. then asked them to rate the sound/performace? Might the results be the same or different coming from arranger players themselves? The features we care most about would probably be wasted on most audience members I know.

#258179 - 02/28/09 03:19 AM Re: Got the E60 today
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
All this posturing and jesting about the merits and demerits of the various boards, is entertaining at times. If you play out live, does the average listener or consumer of our performances give a twit about the nuances of each board? Just curious: What if you took a random sample of nonmusicians, blindfolded them, and played them a selection of tunes from each of the major arranger boards in the same key, tempo, etc. then asked them to rate the sound/performace? Might the results be the same or different coming from arranger players themselves?

I have a number of CDs I have recorded over the last few years using a variety of keyboards Tyros2, G70, PSR 3000, Korg Pa2xPro, PA800 and S900. I usually give them to a number of friends and family. My latest was done on the S900. Generally no one has a clue of what brand I use when they get their CDs. The latest comment on the S900 recording was " Wow, that new equipment you have really makes your music shine."

2 notes on the subject I have spent more time via registrations tweaking the sound of the S900 than I have on any other board including the Tyros2. Selections recorded were a combination of Standards and 50s rock. That on a small scale seems to validate what J.Larry mentions.

#258180 - 02/28/09 03:48 AM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
All this posturing and jesting about the merits and demerits of the various boards, is entertaining at times. But it makes me wonder are these confrontations really serious, or just literary exercises in providing zingers in a spirit of fun among musicians? If you play out live, does the average listener or consumer of our performances give a twit about the nuances of each board? Just curious: What if you took a random sample of nonmusicians, blindfolded them, and played them a selection of tunes from each of the major arranger boards in the same key, tempo, etc. then asked them to rate the sound/performace? Might the results be the same or different coming from arranger players themselves? The features we care most about would probably be wasted on most audience members I know.

Good post, J.Larry.

A lot of the confrontations on SZ are usually in a sprit of fun, although there a few well equipped with shoulder chips and some that tend to get a bit overemotional.

I always enjoy the different views, and sometimes I'll push things just to see how much knowledge is behind a certain testimonial, or an over-zealous recommendation...but generally it's always been entertainment for me...of course, it is sprinkled with a bit of actual usuable knowledge and/or tips.

My S900 has fooled more than one listener into thinking it is a Tyros2 (and most were owner/players of the latter), and that is with no mods except for the styles which are my own edited versions.

And you are right...the attributes we care most about would probably be wasted on the majority of audience members I know as well.

Some good points you have made.

Ian

#258181 - 02/28/09 05:39 AM Re: Got the E60 today
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I had a gut feeling that Zuki would not like the E60 very much.

We all have a sound that we like to hear coming out of our speakers...for many of us it is not Roland, although it still manages to be popular with quite a few here on SZ.

Ian

I think, as a Roland fan, that you may have hit upon something here. The E60 does sound much better thru an outboard amp than thru its own speakers. When I briefly owned an E09 I felt that way too. My PSR 2k and 3k did sound pretty good thru their own speakers.

The Roland sound is definitely a mellower sound than Yamaha, but when I A/B'd my 3k with SC88 GM sets they were pretty close.

#258182 - 02/28/09 07:18 AM Re: Got the E60 today
zuki Offline

I've changed over the years. I loved Roland as much as anyone here, but when the 800 came along it ruined it for Roland.

I've tried my best to go back (G70/E60), but can't recover yesterday's desire.

I don't believe Roland has done much in R&D to improve their sound/styles while Korg and Yamaha moved ahead (IMO).

The E60 was very thin to me. There are a few nice sounds and styles, but about 10% at the most - nah....

Either another 800 or a T2 next. I'll revisit Roland when their AX-Synth is out.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online