SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#258138 - 02/26/09 08:40 AM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I never considered you a Yamaha "hater" or basher, although there are a few here on the forum...but that's their problem not mine.

I am a Yamaha person because love the sound, the OS and the third party support.

I will use other brands if I feel they will meet my needs...but, I just would not toss away my money just to say I have a Roland, or a Korg or whatever.

I am choosing a Bose PA over a Yamaha system, I have also used other brand keyboard/arrangers in the past, when they were the best I could find for my needs...I was a big supporter of the Roland E-series for quite some time, including being a clinician and demonstrator for several years.

So, it's not like I am solely and fanatically connected to Yamaha...I just feel their arrangers suit my needs much better than the competition.

You don't have to like my method of posting, but it is far less confrontational than yours...you seem to have a chip on your shoulder, but you know what they say IF that be the case...it might be a sign of wood higher up.

I don't pussy foot around, Squeak...I'm just more polite and diplomatic than what you're used to.

But, that's what makes this forum so entertaining, Squeak...people like you, always make me smile.

So...you don't have a Roland arranger, nor do you sound like you're interested in getting one....so basically, you are not presently an arranger player....no big deal, but I'm glad that's cleared up.

I figured an accomplished player like yourself would have the best of arrangers, be it a Roland, Korg or Yamaha sitting in the studio.

And by the way, my opinions about Roland arrangers are my personal opinions...if you don't like them, that's not my problem.

You can disagree, but that's about all you can do...they are every bit as valid to me, as your opinions are to you.

Is that direct enough for you?

Ian

#258139 - 02/26/09 08:59 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Don't assume things Ian.... Just because I don't CURRENTLY own a Roland arranger doesn't mean one won't be in my home very soon.

At least us Roland and Korg owners can comment on many issues related to sounds because Roland and Korg allow their different lines to OVERLAP. Yamaha's NOW starting to do this.., but that costs nearly $4,000. You can get a Triton based sound engine in a Korg arranger for less than $1,000. You can get a Fantom based sound set in a Roland that sells for less than $900.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258140 - 02/26/09 09:02 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Ohhh an yes I would love to have a top arranger Ian.. However.., owning two top end workstations I will NEVER dish out that kind of money considering what all I can get in a pro workstation compared to a top end arranger. NO JUSTIFICATION AT ALL IN THAT PRICE DIFFERENCE FOR ME!

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-26-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#258141 - 02/26/09 09:13 AM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

That's good, Squeak...I'm glad you're getting an arranger.

Having a complete synth engine in an arranger may appeal to some, but not to me...I could care less if Yamaha went any further that the tweaking that is already allowed.

I have a Jupiter 8 for synth stuff, and the tweaking allowed on the S900 is more than enough for any sound editing I might need...since I am very happy with the stock sounds, I feel no need to alter them other than changing a filter or brightness setting.

If I wanted/needed an arranger with a synth engine, I'd probably be using a Korg as I've used their workstations and synths in the past and they are well presented.

But, I don't...I just want an arranger with great sounds, great styles, a cool OS, and lots of 3rd party support....the Yamaha S900 gives me that in spades.

Your needs are obviously different, and probably better supported by another manufacturer....at least for now.

Ian

#258142 - 02/26/09 09:39 AM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

My needs Ian can't be met by ONE maker. That's why very soon my keyboard set up will be 3 different companies (Yamaha, Roland, and Novation) to meet my needs with a combined total of 4 keyboards! I'm eventually going in the direction of a software set up, but I'll probably still keep all my hardware keyboards.

I love arrangers just as much as the next guy here. For me I'll never see the justification in the high price on these TOTL arrangers compared to the pro boards on the other side of the fence.

I just don't think it's fair (even if you sugarcaot it to hell) that one person who just "more openly" takes stabs at one company constantly..., then gets dealt with by the admin and members..., while another person who just "sugarcoats it".., but still takes every advantage available to take their stab at another company and that person is allowed to continue..., well it just isn't right.

You do the same thing to Roland that Diki does to the MediaStation. Just because you sugarcoat it doesn't make it right. Diki's more upfront about it..., but just because you say it more nicely.., "a jab is a jab"...., and your jabs at Roland have been just as constant as Diki's have towards the MS.

#258143 - 02/26/09 10:18 AM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

one, two, cha, cha, cha,

#258144 - 02/26/09 12:24 PM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:

I just don't think it's fair (even if you sugarcaot it to hell) that one person who just "more openly" takes stabs at one company constantly..., then gets dealt with by the admin and members..., while another person who just "sugarcoats it".., but still takes every advantage available to take their stab at another company and that person is allowed to continue..., well it just isn't right.

You do the same thing to Roland that Diki does to the MediaStation. Just because you sugarcoat it doesn't make it right. Diki's more upfront about it..., but just because you say it more nicely.., "a jab is a jab"...., and your jabs at Roland have been just as constant as Diki's have towards the MS. ]

You are just as guilty as the rest of us, Squeak...every bit as much....how else would you be so good at identifying such behavior, unless you have it within yourself?

You could try hiding the three fingers that point back as you point out my alleged discrepancies (and Diki's as well) but it won't work...it's just too obvious.

You yourself fit to a tee your vivid descriptions of Diki and I, so please don't try and sugar coat your own behaviour and use myself and Mr. Ross as a soapbox for your own rhetoric.

As I said, you always manage to give me a good laugh...especially with this self-righteous malarkey.

Having said that, I also think you're a great guy, and a wonderfully cheery person, and I am glad you are here on SZ to point out all the behaviour modifications that everyone else should address....just don't forget to take the log out of your own eye whilst you point out the splinters in ours.

I love this place!

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-26-2009).]

#258145 - 02/26/09 12:29 PM Re: Got the E60 today
squeak_D Offline

Yawwwwwnnnnn! Ian..., let's just go back to not talking to eachother. It was much nicer that way. Clearly you and I will always butt heads. I enjoyed the forum much more when you and I just didn't respond to eachother.. You can reply in any way you choose.., I don't care, but I'm done responding to you. I'd rather spend time talking to people on this forum who REALLY give a damn about this place, it's members, and not their own ego and this need to have the last word that always ends with some smartass remark.

#258146 - 02/26/09 01:14 PM Re: Got the E60 today
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
I love arrangers just as much as the next guy here. For me I'll never see the justification in the high price on these TOTL arrangers compared to the pro boards on the other side of the fence.

You simply just don't love arrangers enough, or at least much as the rest of us who don't mind paying the difference to get an instrument that allows us to play "live" with a backup band without needing SMF or MP3 backing (unless we choose to use them).

Obviously you don't want to pay the price of admission to get one, so perhaps it's easier to complain and do without.

Remember, for every one person that uses the excuse that arrangers are too pricey compared to workstations not to buy, there are hundreds who simply buy the arranger and don't give a second thought about the price difference.

I'd rather be playing, rather than waiting for what's never going to happen.

Ian

#258147 - 02/26/09 01:55 PM Re: Got the E60 today
Dnj Offline

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online