SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#257965 - 02/25/09 06:36 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
AJ said above that they are zipping the files. Which means you will likely fit about 70MB of data into the 64MB chip.

Regards.
James.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 02-25-2009).]

yes James, this is about the correct calculation.
I'm working right now for programming the Dream 64Mb flash chip for the new MS too: http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/flashprogramm.JPG
so, I know well how the dream chip work from many years.
The Dream DSP allow to load only compiled soundsfiles.INS or complete binary bank files but NOT raw data like wav.
For playng the sounds in realtime must be compiled first and loaded in RAM/Flash, no compression is allowed.

For create a clean 64Mb file that can fit in one 64mb flash, I have used about 71Mb or raw wav/pcm data and during the compiler wil be optimized/compressed to get a 64Mb binary file.
Conclusion: the file that you have to load on DSP is already optimized and the RAM used wil be the same as the file size loaded.

#257966 - 02/25/09 08:13 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Interesting how Ketron.it can get those new Audya demos on their Ketron Italy web site to sound fantastic yet in person the Audya seems to fall short. So apparently every guitar category i.e acoustic, electric, and distortion guitars are only so so??

I respect leezone's opinion of the guitars so I have to assume the guitars are indeed lackluster, which is a real letdown in my humble opinion. I kind of knew that the vocalizer would essentially suck because of the Musikmesse demos a few years ago by Robert Messier. I encouraged Ketron, way back when, to work on the vocalizer so it wouldn't sound like a "vocoder" and be so robotic, but obviously they didn't heed my advice eh?

What is also troubling is that Ketron apparently has yet to find a solution to make their sounds sound more realistic like Yamaha has done with their SA/2 voices and Korg's RX and DNC sounds. So it seems with the Audya (according to leezone) we will be getting 6 year old SD1 sounds with a few and far between "minor" improvement in only a few of the "newer" sounds?? That would be a HUGE disappointment if it indeed turns out to be true.

So again what we're apparently getting with the Audya is a $5,000 shabbily constructed (low quality build) keyboard, a so so Key bed action, lackluster sounds including synth, guitar, etc., a crummy VH, midi replacement of audio sounds when using complex chords, lack of RAM for the Sampler which hinders importing sufficient sound libraries into the keyboard itself. >> I thought this was the 21st Century??? Hey, is this a case of another "lost" decade like Japan had in the 90's? Only it is now happening to Italy this time around?? All I can say is I hope Ketron is current on their insurance policies and their company business affairs and lives are in order. Cuz I'm not too sure they're going to be around much longer if the Audya debacle turns sour and they don't (read: CAN'T) sell them in mass to at least recoup the Audya's R&D, let alone turn a profit on it. With the dire world economy downturn sucking the life out of companies left and right it would not be unfathomable, in my opinion, to see a company like Ketron folding shop too, especially if their new pride and joy becomes a notorious boondoggle to them in the process. I truly hope that doesn't happen and that the Audya does indeed succeed. Time will tell.. but things certainly look troublesome regarding the Audya. At least from what leezone and "others" have reported thus far.

All the best,
Mike

#257967 - 02/25/09 08:19 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
Dnj Offline

Mike why not wait till it comes to market & people put the Audya through its paces in different ways ....that will undoubtably be the thumbs up or down...because real players will give honest reviews pro/con after they spend whatever on this unit.
Be patient... dont jump the gun.

#257968 - 02/25/09 09:02 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Mike, with all due respect, have you seen, touched or played the Audya yet???

#257969 - 02/25/09 09:12 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Obviously not. He reads one mediocre review and immediately has the company going under.
I can't tell you how many luke-warm or negative reviews I've read of Tyros (along with the good ones of course.) Somehow Yamaha is still in business too.
As far as construction EVERY piece of Ketron gear I've seen has been built like a tank--nothing shoddy at all. Many users have had the same piece of gear for many years.
Chicken Little lives!

DonM

#257970 - 02/25/09 09:23 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I don't think I am jumping the gun Donny.

The Audya is already out in Europe and the reports thus far from the like's of mrdave and others from over there, and from leezone so far from this side of the pond, has given quite an insight into the Audya's prowess (or lack thereof) by these reports. Will I feel different if I perchance (although most likely an impossibility really, unless I buy it sight unseen) play the Audya in person?? Maybe.. but when there starts to form - a "general" (although limited) consensus to a product, playing it in person would tend to only accentuate what has already been "revealed" in my opinion, instead of the other way around. In other words, if it has "already" been discovered that the Audya is NOT what it has been made out to be (read: "hyped up to be") I doubt that I would have a much different opinion from what others have already attested to through their own hands on experience. >> When you get these early reports of "mediocrity" it really lets the wind out of the sails if you know what I mean. I'm holding out a glimmer of hope though that there will be other reports that will start to trickle in that will hopefully be more encouraging and positive, especially from those who have updated their Audya to the latest OS version. I'm not holding my breath though, if you know what I mean. But we'll see..

All the best,
Mike

#257971 - 02/25/09 09:45 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
Dnj Offline

Mike have you ever owned or performed with a Ketron arranger KB?

Then you would know they make very good gear...with some very usuable features for the right player. Worldwide they will succeed with the Audya for sure.

#257972 - 02/25/09 10:04 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
First of all we all know Ketron has the best built machines, thats a fact. Sounds and else
it is a personal taste. Mike, what makes you think that Lee is right? Or i am right? Or anyone?
I completely dissagre with Lee on many things, does that make me right? I dont think so.
Can we judge the machine on the basis of that? Also dont think so. Trust me its different
when you sit down on the machine. I was very sceptical about this machine too, maybe
more then you are, before i ever saw one, just reading european reviews and lies.
I dissagre with Lee on the Sounds, i look at it different, also dont make me right, its just my
taste or need, the only thing i can say Lee is wrong is its built, there is nothing CHEAP on it.
I think Audya or any Ketron machine is the last machine to have something Cheap phisically.
I also dissagree with Lee also on the price but its still only my opinion. And yet, there will be
a third person that would dissagree with both of us...

#257973 - 02/25/09 10:57 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I used the SD1 vocalizer with all of my songs and "suck" is not even close to describing the harmony recordings...

Now my songs are not all mainstream and you may not like them, but they do show the capabilities of the Ketron harmonizer.

------------------
http://www.esnips.com/web/Songs

#257974 - 02/25/09 10:58 AM Re: Leezone's AUDYA Review...
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I never really liked the lead guitars on my SD1, but I assign the volumne pedal to have a wha wha effect and add distortion..seems to make the rock lead better ...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online