SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#25748 - 01/23/02 06:09 AM Blah...
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
Has anyone else out there just lost hope in their music once in a while? I'm going through a little period of self doubt right now. It just seems useless or something. Like I'm wasting my time. I feel like I'm stuck...like I'm not improving but just staying in the same status of a musician as I am now. I don't feel like I'm getting better...know what I mean? Was wondering if I was alone.

-tracey

#25749 - 01/23/02 07:06 AM Re: Blah...
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
Tracey:
I know that "blah" is way off topic, but, yes, I feel so *much* this way right now that I'm "inclined to decline" joining a new band a guy wants to start; not because the band wouldn't have good players and be playing great stuff, but because I feel stuck and inert in my own playing.

I'm thinking of taking off an extended period from live gigging and just practicing, trying to work on some things I never quite got under my fingers or in my ears, etc. Problem is, old habits die hard. But I'm real dissatisfied (=blah) with my own music now. I've even considered concentrating on one player, e.g., Herbie Hancock, to try and push my playing in a *genuinely* new direction.

So . . . What's bugging you about where you are? What's not clicking?

This is *so* off-topic; I'd be glad to continue privately/off-the-board if you want.

doug/dnark

#25750 - 01/23/02 07:49 AM Re: Blah...
ditroia Offline

Loc: PA
I have definetly been there. As simple as this sounds, sometimes getting new sounds for your instrument(if you play keyboards) can really make a difference. Or listening to music that got you involved in playing in the first place. I still get down, but not as often. I just try to remember what a gift musical talent is. Hope I helped.

#25751 - 01/23/02 12:26 PM Re: Blah...
stillme Offline

Yes...I know it isn't exactly the right forum for this sort of thing. But it does seem to be one of the more active ones.

I don't know how to explain it really. Here's an example: sometimes I'll listen to my own music and be like, "man...did I do that? That's not bad at all." Others, I'll listen to it and say to myself, "Geez...that's not good. It sucks. I'll never be a good musician."

Sorry it's so off topic. I get that way sometimes.

-Tracey

#25752 - 01/23/02 12:33 PM Re: Blah...
stillme Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ditroia:
I have definetly been there. As simple as this sounds, sometimes getting new sounds for your instrument(if you play keyboards) can really make a difference. Or listening to music that got you involved in playing in the first place. I still get down, but not as often. I just try to remember what a gift musical talent is. Hope I helped.

Yes...that makes sense. Maybe I'm just sick of the same old...same old. I was thinking about taking some time off from making music for awhile. Hoping that it would rejuvinate me...kind of like fasting or something. Just spending some time listening and studying the music that sparked my interest in playing is not a bad idea. Something to give me inspiration...
Thanks. That did help.

I'll try to find a forum that deals with this kind of stuff. ;/

#25753 - 01/23/02 02:54 PM Re: Blah...
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
I don't know if it's necessary to find another forum, really. There's a guitar thread on this forum that is a mile long, but I don't think anyone is bothered by it. People here are pretty cool. I'd be interested in others' opinions.

The idea about going back to the music that got you interested in the first place is great. I've done that occasionally, even to sequence a whole bunch of stuff that I just *liked*--not my own compositions, but stuff I just *liked*. Very satisfying. I even made a tape of my own covers for myself.

I don't know what your background is, but you might want to try to move in a different direction for a bit just for the experience, maybe even take lessons.

#25754 - 01/23/02 04:37 PM Re: Blah...
stillme Offline

It's funny you should mention that. I've been thinking a lot lately about taking some professional lessons. I mean, I had a semester of Piano I in college, and I have HAD about five professional lessons. Since then I've learned on my own with books and practice. Scales and such. Not a very structured learning like it would be if I took lessons.

Actually...you just gave me a good idea. I could just practice learning and playing my favorite music. I mean...it's already written, all I have to do is listen (and occasionally get the sheet music )

-Tracey

#25755 - 01/23/02 04:39 PM Re: Blah...
stillme Offline

What would I do without you guys.

#25756 - 01/23/02 04:39 PM Re: Blah...
ditroia Offline

Loc: PA
I'm very happy I could help. I tried taking time off but it was like trying not to breathe. It's as much a part of me as my heart. I'm sure its the same for you. Making recordings of covers or anything you want is a great idea too.Thank you to who said that. I find if I stop worrying about if the music is good enough or "marketable" for a second I can write some amazing things. Just letting it happen. This forum is as good as any. No reason to go anywhere else. What we're talking about is a huge part of being musicians.More than the equipment we use (though I really love Roland stuff

#25757 - 01/23/02 02:43 PM Re: Blah...
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
do you all own a Roland product only or somthing else with it?

I think I have somthing here...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online