SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#256734 - 02/16/09 11:10 PM Re: Screw it IM ordering a Motif XS 8 Monday
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I have a better idea: Buy a cheap version of Cubase for MIDI creation. It works seamlessly with Yamaha (they are sister companies).

#256735 - 02/17/09 08:36 AM Re: Screw it IM ordering a Motif XS 8 Monday
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I have a better idea: Buy a cheap version of Cubase for MIDI creation. It works seamlessly with Yamaha (they are sister companies).

I have tried Cubase. Its not the SW thats the problem its the Tyros MIDI implimentation. It does not behave like a workstation with any MIDI software. I won't use Cubase anyway though. I bought a copy yeasr ago and it had this dongle I had to plug into a serial port to use it!!

I have a problem with SW companies that make one use hardware keys to operate. I can put Cakewalk on 3 computers legally. Cubase will only run on one IF you have the key. If you lose the key or it breaks you are down until you jump through hoops......

Cakewalk has survived and thrived with zero copy protection since its inception.They never even wrote a version for Apple which is amazing sine APPLE is a very popular platform for Music. But that just serves to further prove the success of Cakewalk (now purchased by Roland.

The XS8 comes with Cubase AI but Sonar has a control surface for it and Yamaha provided one for Sonar on board so I won't need Cubase to implement that sorely needed feature. I brought home a Nano controller from Korg to try out. Great for notebook use,
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#256736 - 02/17/09 10:41 AM Re: Screw it IM ordering a Motif XS 8 Monday
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Kingfrog prove my point can you post one of your WS songs for us.

well it's obvious....we wont ever hear anything done on WS...I for one am always open to listen & learn other ways of creating music from others. I guess for now you tube is all we have,.I'll will duck now

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-17-2009).]

#256737 - 02/17/09 05:11 PM Re: Screw it IM ordering a Motif XS 8 Monday
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Everything I've posted was done on a workstation...

Says so on the front panel of my G70... "Music Workstation" Hasn't got the word 'arranger' on it anywhere!

#256738 - 02/17/09 06:09 PM Re: Screw it IM ordering a Motif XS 8 Monday
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Kingfrog prove my point can you post one of your WS songs for us.

I already did. I posted a WS only song done awhile time ago using a Triton WS and some other modules. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/018831.html

This combination will give far more choices than using just an Arranger style to ADAPT to rather than have it adapt to what I have already done. I am finding it more difficult to adapt my songs to an pre arranged stiff Arranger style and trying to "edit" the style is even more challenging due to the inner workings of the tyros and MIDI implimentation. I am anxious try some single line arps WITH my older sequences. the bottomline is I really miss the "workflow" of a real Work Station integrated with a DAW.

If one remembers I bought the Korg originally hoping for a great WS experience AND an arranger. I did not like the arranger part as the library of styles were lacking for me. Now the opposite is true. I have a great arranger with an unlimited library of styles but a piss poor Workstation.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-17-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#256739 - 02/17/09 06:29 PM Re: Screw it IM ordering a Motif XS 8 Monday
Dnj Offline

Now I remember that tune but did you really need a WS to play that.....there are so many great yamaha balled styles, like Westend ballad, Piano ballad, etc, etc, ... that would of worked fine why go thru all that trouble with a WS?

#256740 - 02/17/09 07:32 PM Re: Screw it IM ordering a Motif XS 8 Monday
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Now I remember that tune but did you really need a WS to play that.....there are so many great yamaha balled styles, like Westend ballad, Piano ballad, etc, etc, ... that would of worked fine why go thru all that trouble with a WS?

At the time it was all I had. If I had to to it again I probably could use an Arranger. But it has to be at the beginning of the process. I don;t think I could do that tune squeezing into a pre arranged style. In fact thats one of the reasons Im going back to a WS. I want to redo some older songs and I cannot find unique arrangements no one else is using. However I can replace a part or two with a nice guitar or bass ARP. I use a VSTI Drums most of the time and aSW sampler for individual String parts. I am finding the T3 does and hopefully the Motif will take some of the load off the DAW.

I like the idea of just turning on the WS and doing the entire production there. THEN turning on the DAw for further editing and routing of voices. Im still going to use the Styles. But I won't HAVE to compromise if I have a WS involved in the process. Thats really how I have been working for the past 20 years. Arrangers are new to me. I love the T3 and the voices are amazing but like DIKI mentioned once they are really much better for producing songs that have ALREADY been written and are based on such. Completely Original work is tough to do on them as thats not what they were really designed for. They are playback machines more than creation machines. I think the Korg and Roland Arrangers are probably better at allowing for easy original integration.

Plus as a bonus there are 88 keys and a control surface that integrates well with a DAW. I'm pretty excited about it and since the price increase taking effect March 1 I needed to jump now if I was going to jump at all. Its a significant increase on the Motif series.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online