SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#256043 - 02/09/09 06:25 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Au contraire, mon frére...!

You know me to be one of the most relentless critics of Roland. Where criticism is due, I give it with no regard to manufacturer. Same with Yamaha. Where it is due, I give it. Where praise is due, I give that also...

Just lately, this seems to have eluded you, though. Nothing has any value without three tuning forks on it. Sad, really, when I know that you know better. Your opinions could have some real value, were they tempered with some objectivity. But as long as you keep up this relentless 'Four legs good, two legs bad' slavish devotion, how can ANYTHING you say be taken seriously?

My opinion's about the Mega guitars and SA technology are good and well known. This, I think, makes my opinions about some of the BAD things in a Yamaha more credible, rather than if I followed your lead and simply went 'everything Yamaha sucks!'.

But feel free to destroy what credibility you have left by continuing this tirade against anything non-Yamaha. I guess it makes my job easier..

No-one has said that this is in any way a competing feature to SA2. It does something SA2 can't... Does that make Yamaha suck? Only if we follow YOUR logic...

#256044 - 02/09/09 06:36 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
zuki Offline

Very cool - awesome stuff. Loved the organ better than anything.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#256045 - 02/09/09 07:08 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Where criticism is due, I give it with no regard to manufacturer. Same with Yamaha. Where it is due, I give it. Where praise is due, I give that also...

Just lately, this seems to have eluded you, though.

Au contraire, son.

I have always credited Roland when they make a great product...I can't help it if they don't make them very often.

It skews things terribly, doesn't it?

Your posts always make me smile.

Ian

#256046 - 02/09/09 07:39 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

A great feature can be in a flawed product. Like SA voices in a toy (whoops, sorry... 'home') keyboard...

Or killer drums and piano in a very heavy keyboard!

I can't say I've EVER played the 'perfect' keyboard. You have, apparently.

The easily pleased will always be... well, easily pleased!

"Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it’s breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
you’ll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You’ll see the sun come shining through
for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That’s the time you must keep on trying
Smile what’s the use of crying
You’ll find that life is still worthwhile
If you’ll just
Smile"

Can't argue with the Great Dictator, now can you?!

#256047 - 02/09/09 08:06 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

I can't say I've EVER played the 'perfect' keyboard. You have, apparently.

The easily pleased will always be... well, easily pleased!

Just the one perfect for my needs, for the present....but, one must always be able to adapt to new situations if they arise.

I am easily pleased...and easily amused...and that's why your posts make me smile.

I love that song...I play it often...a lovely piano piece.

Do you play it as well?

Smile...mmmmmm.

Smile, though your back is aching
Smile, even though it’s breaking.

Perfect for the V-Piano...don't you think?

Thanks again.

Ian

#256048 - 02/09/09 08:08 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
zuki Offline

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#256049 - 02/09/09 08:22 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

Never smiled more than when I had my Rhodes...

This thing is 50 lbs. lighter. Should that make me smile more, or less? Hey, if I put my G70 on top of the V-Piano, it'll weigh about the same as the Rhodes did!

Ain't progress grand...

#256050 - 02/09/09 08:56 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

My beef is that the V-Piano doesn't have a Rhodes patch, and perhaps even a Wurli.

It makes sense not to have an organ patch as the keyboard is weighted hammer, but to leave out these important sounds, especially at that price, just doesn't make any sense.

To have to do the laptop thing just to access the other internal sounds is also not acceptable.

Maybe they'll make a Mark II model with these corrections, or if you like, additions.

Otherwise, as it is, all that adjustability will be just overkill for most piano players...and I mean the ones who also play Rhodes and Wurly as well as acoustic.

Perhaps I'm missing it's concept, but I really feel they should have provided at least these other piano types....just think how cool it would be to be able to change the tines on the Rhodes or the hammer material...

If you're going to drag that big box around, may as well make it worth it.

That's my rant....now I'll stop bugging you about it...we're off topic anyway...sorry Chas.

Ian

#256051 - 02/09/09 09:19 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

Well, it DOES have a 128 voice module inside (and an mp3/wave player). Perhaps we don't yet know ALL the details about how that hooks in, yet, but I imagine, if they HAVE orphaned it now, a simple OS update would solve that...

In the meantime, check out the RD700G... ARX Rhodes and Wurli, plus some high quality sampled pianos at a weight and price more to your liking... (of course it's not to your liking! No tuning forks )

Maybe you can compare the V-Piano to the TOTL Clavinovas... Heavy, expensive, and arranger sections a pale shadow of a T3

Perhaps Roland is not unique in leaving us somewhat unsatisfied at times, eh, Ian?

#256052 - 02/09/09 09:51 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

Maybe you can compare the V-Piano to the TOTL Clavinovas... Heavy, expensive, and arranger sections a pale shadow of a T3

No I wouldn't compare the V-Piano with TOTL Clavinovas...they have more sounds, for one thing, and at least you don't need a workaround (or laptop) to access sounds.

The T3 is new...the arranger sections in the latest CVP are like the T2's...the new CVPs will be out soon enough...then you can compare if you wish.

You might want to compare the V-Piano with the Roland KR-series...you know...heavy, expensive and a pale shadow of the G-70.

They should have at least put ARX expansion slots on the V-Piano...especially since they are on the much cheaper instruments....what were they thinking?

Sometimes your points are valid, but these are not...I think we both know that the V-Piano could have been much better realized than it is at present...so close, yet so far away.

The tuning fork people would have done a much better job.

The V-Piano, a one trick pony, or more appropriately, draft horse, that could have been contender with a bit more breeding.

Bottom line... I think it could have been done better.

Think you'll change my mind?

Not a chance.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-09-2009).]

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online