SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255953 - 02/08/09 10:45 PM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Toyota may lose a billion, but they aren't going out of business. Same, I would imagine, for Yamaha (who are diversified in many different businesses). Smaller companies may well have tougher times, though.

Wersi come to mind... I hope Dom can make it through the storm (I still have high hopes for his MS one day), Ketron have gambled on the high end of the market, Let's hope they don't shoot craps (but that doesn't mean they get a pass on the audio loops thing!), Roland is going down-market (probably a smart move)...

It's the perfect storm... a credit crunch after the entire business world changed so they revolve around credit... and so did we

#255954 - 02/09/09 05:08 AM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I would hate to see anyone loss their job, But I stopped shopping at the GC because the sales rep don't know any of the products, they never have anything in stock, its always special order and they use to provide discounts for long time customers. which now I have to bring in an competitors ad and they will match it. Thats BS! good luck GC, but you lost me as a customer for good.

#255955 - 02/09/09 06:13 AM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland

#255956 - 02/09/09 07:07 AM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Toyota may lose a billion, but they aren't going out of business. Same, I would imagine, for Yamaha (who are diversified in many different businesses). Smaller companies may well have tougher times, though.

Wersi come to mind... I hope Dom can make it through the storm (I still have high hopes for his MS one day), Ketron have gambled on the high end of the market, Let's hope they don't shoot craps (but that doesn't mean they get a pass on the audio loops thing!), Roland is going down-market (probably a smart move)...

It's the perfect storm... a credit crunch after the entire business world changed so they revolve around credit... and so did we

I still buy Yamaha bikes. Their Drum chrome is made in the Bike factory.....So the handle bars on the 1300 is rally a Hi-Hat Stand

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-09-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#255957 - 02/09/09 08:33 AM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The irony of all this is that Best Buy just might think twice about making a quantum leap into the musical instrument biz.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#255958 - 02/09/09 10:23 AM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The irony of all this is that Best Buy just might think twice about making a quantum leap into the musical instrument biz.

Cheers,

Gary

They shouldn't. The margins are far better then their core business products. Its a no lose situation for them. They are USED to slim margins where now they will get a minimum of the mid to late 20's in points and up to 3x more on accesories.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#255959 - 02/09/09 10:34 AM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think Best Buy would do well in selling musical instruments. My only concern would be finding someone in that store qualified enough to sell the products Best Buy would be benefiting from large bulk orders and cost per unit would be reasonable.., and their return would be quite good. Again.., problem is finding qualified sales staff in these stores.

Hopefully the same guy that sells you a 46 inch flat screen with the audio system isn't the same guy trying to sell you a Yamaha Motif XS6. Or finding the guy helping you in the music department just sold a washer and dryer combo to the couple he met before you

I talked to one of the managers not too long ago at our local Best Buy. He was very excited about the possibility of selling top end musical instruments. When I asked him how will you go about getting sales reps qualifed enough to sell a state of the art synth/workstation who knew not only how to play, but operate these things his attitude changed a bit. I told him you're going to have a hard time finding someone qualified enough to sell and operate these things.., and then run into real problems if you expect that qualified person to step outside of the music section and sell a washer and dryer....

Hopefully they'll employ real musicians if they expand to this area in their stores.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#255960 - 02/09/09 11:39 AM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Squeak,
Don't think you'll see it ever.
They have enough trouble finding someone to sell you a washer/dryer...or anything else.

A little better than RS,,,youv'e got questions...they have blank stares.

Sometimes you do get a good person at BB...but he/she is gone is a few monthes.

I would rather go see King, Frank or George...but there a ways from me.
AND I hate having a keyboard shipped.

Lee

#255961 - 02/09/09 12:27 PM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You don't go to a supermarket and expect the guy stocking the shelves to tell you how to cook a souflé...

Why should you expect anyone at Best Buy to understand something as esoteric as a MotifXS..?

If you want supermarket prices, you should EXPECT supermarket service.

#255962 - 02/09/09 12:38 PM Re: Guitar Center Going Bankrupt
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You're not going to get supermarket prices at Best Buy though. If you go to the main Best Buy website and look at the gear you'll see the prices are the same as other online retailers. A Korg M3 on their site sells for $1,899 (and that's the current online price). That's hardly what I'd call supermarket prices. It'd be different if you could go into Best Buy and pick up a Motif XS for considerably less than $2,199 but that's not the case. If I could walk into Best Buy and pick up a Motif XS for $1,599 I could care less if the guy selling it to me knows more about washers and dryers.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online