SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 >
Topic Options
#255674 - 02/04/09 03:54 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
mrdave Offline

Loc: Rimini, Italy
Here in Italy Audya is out and selling. In italian forums you can read of people that bought it.

Regarding style play, I found no "Intelligence" on the audya... just audio drums have a lot of measures recorded. (8).

Regarding unfinished features... well... one for example is the chord recognition settings. You can choose from Easy1, Easy2, Standard, Rootless modes, but whatever you choose you get Easy1, other modes are simply not implemented yet. This got me crazy when trying to play in pianist mode... By now it's impossible to do, since each single key pressed will change to the maj chord of that key....

As I said already, right hand sounds... are more or less like my G70 sounds. G70 piano is far superior for example, also G70 oboe and organs. Drawbars on the audya are simply sine waves, really can't compare with G70 VK derived ones.

[This message has been edited by mrdave (edited 02-04-2009).]

#255675 - 02/04/09 04:09 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mrdave:
Here in Italy Audya is out and selling. In italian forums you can read of people that bought it.

Regarding style play, I found no "Intelligence" on the audya... just audio drums have a lot of measures recorded. (8).

Regarding unfinished features... well... one for example is the chord recognition settings. You can choose from Easy1, Easy2, Standard, Rootless modes, but whatever you choose you get Easy1, other modes are simply not implemented yet. This got me crazy when trying to play in pianist mode... By now it's impossible to do, since each single key pressed will change to the maj chord of that key....

So your saying in realty Ketron has pushed an UNFINSHED product on unknowing buyers correct?

#255676 - 02/04/09 04:10 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Incomplete or not, I like the vocal effects and vocalizer on the audya much better than then one on my Yamaha s900.

#255677 - 02/04/09 05:17 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
Incomplete or not, I like the vocal effects and vocalizer on the audya much better than then one on my Yamaha s900.

So your going to spend $5000.00 just for a vocalizer?.....I use a digitech with my S900 sounds great $150.00

#255678 - 02/04/09 05:29 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Let's take this in order... To the genesys;

The Audya has never bee accused of not RECOGNIZING any chord thrown at it. What it DOES have a problem with is actually PLAYING them in audio loop form. mrdave reports maj min and a few 7ths. And that is THAT. Play a dim or an aug, and the loop stops cold, a MIDI part plays until you change back to a maj or min again. No sus's, no aug's. Dropout time again.

I can see Ketron's need to add extensions by an additional note or two, but whole basic chords (sorry if anyone thinks a diminished or augmented chord is not 'basic' ) being completely missing is, IMO, simply unacceptable. It's of GREAT significance that Ketron do not provide (as yet) any soloed guitar track demos that extends beyond maj/min/7th. So, as potential buyers, we are denied opportunity to decide if this feature works acceptably or not. For my part, if it did, I would have expected them to showcase it. It simply seems too much of a 'kluge'.

Mike... I won't respond too much to the Roland baiting. On another Audya thread I've already brought up the G70's 'unfinished' launch myself before your post appeared. Suffice it to say, the G70's unfinished nature did not involve basic operation, it worked impressively enough at launch for it to persuade me to drop my long-loved G1000, and whatever has been added has come as an enhancement to an already good product, not a necessary addition just to get basic functionality. To you, it was a '3'. To me, it's still a '7.8' Or, if you prefer, maybe a '3' on the Richter Scale won't raise your hairs, but on the Fujita Scale it will definitely wake you up! But that is simply our individual opinions, not quite the fact you present it as!

As to USB2, what possible use is that to an arranger without a sampler? We've discussed this before, but offline storage isn't quite the pressing need, in my book. As it is with the Audya, to be fair. As long as it loads from it's HD fast enough for live use, loading up at home isn't quite the problem. Don't forget, although it may lack USB2, it's internal data bus is ATA, EIDE or SATA, like most computers (few use USB2 internally). And from reports unconfirmed, it manages at least 1MB/sec data transfer to the RAM, completely outpacing several keyboards with USB2 interfaces. The bottleneck is STILL the data pipe, and not the interface, IMO. Yes, it's a definite inconvenience working at home, but not the impediment to live play that having whole chord types disappear (to be replaced by regular MIDI, non-Mega guitar parts) could be...

And what about the glacial save on the Yamaha's sampler? It's a huge improvement over THAT, at least That doesn't achieve even floppy disk speeds Users report HOURS for saves of edits on large files.

I simply find myself being able to cut the Audya slack in certain areas, but once again, I have to ask... are we not musicians first and foremost? I can take almost any sort of OS weirdness or offline inconvenience, but anything that detracts from it's MUSICAL effectiveness gets a 'fail' grade, I'm sorry to say...

#255679 - 02/04/09 05:35 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
mc Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

So your going to spend $5000.00 just for a vocalizer?.....I use a digitech with my S900 sounds great $150.00

No, I like what I see so far and I will check it out in brooklyn but my limit is 3500-4000 tops. Thats it. If I can't get for that price I'll wait for second hand or move on to something else, no rush.

#255680 - 02/04/09 05:45 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Diki Offline

If you like that Audya harmonizer, you are going to LOVE the PA2Xpro's, or the G70/E80's...

And you will have a guitar track that won't change sounds on you as you play different chords

To be fair, you have to at least compare to those in similar price ranges (although the T2/3 isn't reported to be any of an improvement over the S900).

#255681 - 02/04/09 05:51 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
When Ted fro CMC was here at my store two weeks ago, he said that AJ's was not a prototype but rather a finished model he brought back with him from his trip last month to Italy. The one Ted has in his office is a prototype.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#255682 - 02/04/09 06:06 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Diki Offline

Well, that may clear up the Piano Mode problem, George, but you can't possibly be telling us that the 'missing chords' issue is simply down to a beta unit?

It seems like FAR too much effort has been expended making whole MIDI parts to handle those pesky dim, aug and sus4 chords to be simply a 'beta' workaround...

#255683 - 02/04/09 06:07 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
mc Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
When Ted fro CMC was here at my store two weeks ago, he said that AJ's was not a prototype but rather a finished model he brought back with him from his trip last month to Italy. The one Ted has in his office is a prototype.

Thanks, Maybe nedim is demoing the unit in CMC shop than? He didn't go into details where he was and which unit he had his hands on.

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online