SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#255542 - 02/04/09 01:17 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hey Bill, guilty as charged...

However, what I try NOT to do is couch what I want to say in ways that personally and viciously attack a fellow member. Heaven help us all if I did!

Reasonable people can agree to disagree reasonably, but when words like 'ASS' and other language (that you would NEVER say to my face) gets bandied about in response to posts that, although you may not like the tenor of, make NO effort to use that kind of illiterate guttersnipe trash talk, 'reasonability' has just gone out the window. And it is not thrown out by me...

I refuse to believe that these trash talkers are so illiterate, uneducated and just poorly mannered that they can't make the effort to at least moderate their language to a civilized tenor.

But I could be wrong...

#255543 - 02/07/09 12:47 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
so would the adjective asslike be better than the noun ass? Kind of like you do calling people racist rather than "a racist"?

#255544 - 02/07/09 12:45 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Guess it depends on whether the recipient had posted racist remarks or not...

But, good Lord! What a storm in a teacup! Take a look at my original post. Then look at the replies. If you see a similar language and intent between the two, you a far more sensitive person than me...

Look, here's the difference (can't believe I have to spell it out)... Maybe, just maybe, I might THINK that a member IS an ass. Good taste, or maybe just education, allow me to express some of that without actually using the word. But even that is rare. I tend to try and poke a little fun, or express my disdain for the IDEA the member expresses. Something it seems that eludes some of the members here. And yet, they do it themselves daily. Everyone is free to disagree with my opinions. Heck, it's almost a sport!

But if you can't make that distinction between disagreeing with my message, and refuting that, and simply insulting me personally with little connection with the post, you have some growing up to do...

Let's try this out. As soon as I call another member here an 'egotistical ass' or any of the extremely personal epithets that have been bandied around from time to time (trash talk is the last refuge of the ignorant), you are all free to pile on with whatever you can come up with. Until then, how about keeping it at (or above!) the level of tone I use?

Too difficult?

#255545 - 02/08/09 07:55 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Guess it depends on whether the recipient had posted racist remarks or not...

But, good Lord! What a storm in a teacup! Take a look at my original post. Then look at the replies. If you see a similar language and intent between the two, you a far more sensitive person than me...

Look, here's the difference (can't believe I have to spell it out)... Maybe, just maybe, I might THINK that a member IS an ass. Good taste, or maybe just education, allow me to express some of that without actually using the word. But even that is rare. I tend to try and poke a little fun, or express my disdain for the IDEA the member expresses. Something it seems that eludes some of the members here. And yet, they do it themselves daily. Everyone is free to disagree with my opinions. Heck, it's almost a sport!

But if you can't make that distinction between disagreeing with my message, and refuting that, and simply insulting me personally with little connection with the post, you have some growing up to do...

Let's try this out. As soon as I call another member here an 'egotistical ass' or any of the extremely personal epithets that have been bandied around from time to time (trash talk is the last refuge of the ignorant), you are all free to pile on with whatever you can come up with. Until then, how about keeping it at (or above!) the level of tone I use?

Too difficult?

Me thinks thou doth protest too much...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#255546 - 02/08/09 08:27 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Even the allusion to the word "Ass" as in "Ass"ume is the same as using it in it's full embodiment and if push comes to shove is still a personal attack toward someone (if used in that context and towards that end), however clever one tries to disguise or hide it. Personal attacks will not be tolerated according to the Terms Of Service of this website. It is Nigel's call as to what he determines crosses that fine thin line though.

To play it safe, you may not want to venture up that dark alley in the first place, however safe you may think it is or however harmless your intentions might be. Because you never know what might be lurking in the shadows. Like Nigel for one.

All the best,
Mike

#255547 - 02/08/09 10:07 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Even the allusion to the word "Ass" as in "Ass"ume is the same as using it in it's full embodiment and if push comes to shove is still a personal attack toward someone (if used in that context and towards that end), however clever one tries to disguise or hide it. Personal attacks will not be tolerated according to the Terms Of Service of this website. It is Nigel's call as to what he determines crosses that fine thin line though.

To play it safe, you may not want to venture up that dark alley in the first place, however safe you may think it is or however harmless your intentions might be. Because you never know what might be lurking in the shadows. Like Nigel for one.

All the best,
Mike

ASSume is not even "clever" at all nor transparent.LOL. Its very clear what the poster is conveying. The definition of the pot calling the kettle black abounds....
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#255548 - 02/08/09 10:08 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
There are a few guys and gals (no disrespect) on this board who seem to universally command respect among the brethren. Examples would be Capt. Russ, Nigel, DonM, Rikkibears, and several others. They sort of define 'Class Act'. A few of us come close but sooner or later and ever so briefly, fall off the wagon and knock ourselves off the list. I always thought of Gary as being on that 'list', and in fact, still do. I think the "ASS" comment was an aberration and in fact, technically, he didn't actually CALL someone an 'ass', just that they should stop ACTING like one. Splitting hairs, I know, and neither is probably acceptable by the majority of the members (plus, I'm guessing you won't hear Gary repeat it).

Truth is, talk about people 'getting it', Sunny seems to be the only one. Diki is talented, knowledgeable, logical (if this were Star Trek, he'd be Spock), well-spoken (if people bother to read carefully what he says - as opposed to just reacting to what they perceive as the 'tone' of what he says), and most of all, feisty. If he thinks he is right on an issue, and he usually is 95% of the time, he might not concede a point as quickly as some others just for the sake of civility. All I know is that if I had to choose between Diki's 'straightforward ' approach and some others over-hyped sense of themselves and their talent and abilities, I'll take Diki every time. At the very least, he knows how to use spellchecker and is willing to throw in an occasional punctuation mark (please don't respond to that unless the shoe fits).

What we need to understand is that each of us posesses a very unique personality, any of which may be more or less compatible with our own. Me, I like people that share some of my interests. If they happen to have a few warts, so what. It's not like I don't have any.

chas

#255549 - 02/09/09 08:27 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, I would never have questioned it, but this post lands you squarely in the "Class Act" camp, for sure.

I can verify that you have been there for a long time.

Now, after my upcoming road trip, ALL BETS ARE OFF!

Be well,

Russ

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online