Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255522 - 02/03/09 01:29 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
First things first... I play live as much as I do studio work. And down here in my little market, there is no such thing as cartage! I move my G70 myself, or often with the help of my guitarist. But a nice foldable dolly, and good leverage technique (and the newer handicapped access laws!) mean that I rarely EVER have to dead lift the entire thing. Roll in, roll out. I'm in my fifties, but lifting 45 lbs. onto a stand is no real task... I'm sure you don't leave your grandkids on the ground just because they are that heavy (do you tell them at five that they are too heavy for you?)...

Life, they say, is all about finding the right compromise. Given a choice between sound, playability (everyone knows how critical a 76 is to my style), and weight, I know the only one I am prepared to make a compromise about

Until Yamaha make a PSR with 76, at ANY weight, I have to pass. Until Yamaha make a PSR with a piano in it with more body, dynamics and no phase issues, I have to pass. Until Yamaha make a PSR that sounds like a live band, rather than a CD, I have to pass...

But if they make one of those at 40 lbs.+, I won't rule it out based on the weight... Does that make me more or LESS biased?

Makes perfect sense to me! There are compromises in whatever we choose, so I guess it depends on what area we are willing to "give" a little.
I don't mind the piano--in fact I like it--but then I'm not a piano player at heart. It projects through the mix. I actually love the extremely light touch, and don't even object to calling it flimsy.
And, I've raised the biggest fuss about the drums and bass being less than spectacular.
My grandkids are three and one, and another minus 7 months, so I can still pick 'em up.
When they get bigger they can left me up!
I toted the G70 around last year for several months. Had I known I would be in one place almost all the time, I might still be playing one, at least til the Auyda gets here.
DonM

#255523 - 02/03/09 02:08 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

When I was in my 50s a 50 or even 60-pound keyboard was considered lightweight. Hell, I could still pick up good looking gals at that age! Body parts tend to go to hell at 65, and if you think for one minute you are immune, well, I guess you haven't looked in the mirror lately.

As for picking up the grandson, at 19 months he's up to 39 pounds, strong, good looking, and I suspect he'll be driving me to gigs sometime in the near future. I CAN pick him up, however, it's a lot more fun when he climbs on my lap and I'm sitting down. It's a lot safer too.

Now, lets get down to nuts and bolts. Sunny is a really nice person, and those of us that have been on the forum for a while enjoyed his posts from years ago. DIKI, IT'S TIME TO STOP ACTING LIKE AN EGOTISTICAL ASS--YOU OWE HIM AN APOLOGY!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#255524 - 02/03/09 04:52 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The day I call another member here an 'egotistical ass' WILL be the day I apologize. That's not an opinion, that's an insult, plain and simple.

Now, where's YOUR apology to me...?

#255525 - 02/03/09 05:26 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The day I call another member here an 'egotistical ass' WILL be the day I apologize. That's not an opinion, that's an insult, plain and simple.

Now, where's YOUR apology to me...?

I think Gary is wrong...Diki isn't egotistical...

#255526 - 02/03/09 05:43 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Dnj Offline

One, Two, Cha Cha Cha

#255527 - 02/03/09 06:01 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
zuki Offline

I had a G70 for a couple weeks. 2 moving sessions were brutal - but not the reason I sold it

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#255528 - 02/03/09 06:22 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
One, Two, Cha Cha Cha

Three, four, What a bore...

#255529 - 02/03/09 10:17 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi all,

I was just reading all the posts this morning and smiling at the different comments passed by all my friends here. Needless to say, Im really happy with my decision. You are right about the weight part...like I said, the PA1x per se is an amazing board and I also mentioned about downgrading, but again, lugging the board around ( I have to do it myself) every now and then does get a bit painful. It would perhaps have been easier had I used it solely as a studio or home keyboard. But we have a lot os social and family outings and get-togethers and more than anything I could hear 8 out of 10 people in my audience mention the difference in the overall performance when I used to perform with the PA1x. They would go "Hey Sunny, you sound different..or the same charm and the melodious yamaha styles ( I rely heavily on the styles) are missing .
The cherry on the cake was last night, when my wife and I sat down and decided to play some music before gng to bed. When she heard all the new and improved sounds on the S900. She was always hearing me play the PSR2100 before...her eyes almost watered and her face flushed with joy. She said..."Sunny...now you are BAck Again with YOUR music". That was the most gratifying moment of all. The next best moment was to carry the keyboard and place it back to the shelf without the slightest effort.
Bottomline...Im really happy with the S900 and I know I did the right thing by getting it.
Thanks for all your comments...Sweet and Sour. Im happy you at least took the time and commented on my new keyboard and I take it all with a pinch of salt !!!

Cheers,

SUNNY

#255530 - 02/03/09 10:32 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
So it magically floats to the gig, and puts itself on the stand?

Amazing!

Ian

LOL

#255531 - 02/03/09 11:33 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sunster:
Thanks for all your comments...Sweet and Sour. Im happy you at least took the time and commented on my new keyboard and I take it all with a pinch of salt !!!

Cheers,

SUNNY

Would that others would do the same thing.

Mind you, take a look at what some of the more frenzied posters actually play, and decide for yourself if they were defending YOU, or the choice of arranger THEY made... I don't think Gary or Ian would have given a damn if this was a critique of a Roland or Korg (and I hope you noticed it was in no way a criticism of YOU, just the 'weight as primary consideration' issue - and yes, at least I noticed your 'downgrading' comment. Good job Ian didn't!).

But you have got to laugh at someone that takes such offense at a mild criticism of an arranger issue, and points out my need to apologize by being as personally insulting as he can be! Apparently, he feels that turning an arranger discussion into a personal gutter slanging match (which I will NOT dignify by responding to) is not hypocrisy of the highest order...

Maybe it's gutter language like that that is discouraging some from posting here...?

Noooo... How could THAT be possible? Easier to blame someone else, I guess.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online