SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255512 - 02/03/09 07:19 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sunny,

Welcome back. You made a great choice, it's a fantastic keyboard that is loaded with incredible features. Not only does it sound incredible, it's lightweight as well. Weight does not mean quality. If this were the case laptop and notebook computers would not exist. Instead, we would be using computers the size of a warehouse and powered with vacuum tubes.

Enjoy that new keyboard, and again, welcome back,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#255513 - 02/03/09 07:24 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
That's a good point...but not all of us play out.

I play at home in my music room, PC connected all the time. More of a studio environment.

Around here you just don't make enough to gig out a lot. $60/hour at Nursing homes/comm centers.

When I retire, I might gig out, and I might want a light board.

Lee

#255514 - 02/03/09 07:41 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I hear ya, Lee...you also make a good point.

I need a lightweight arranger because I'm moving gear by myself and anything over 20-25 lbs is not "portable" in my opinion.

If all my playing was at home, or in a studio, I'd probably get a CVP-409, but still keep the S900 in case I do get an occasional outside gig.

Instruments of 40-45 lbs in a decent road case top out around 60 lbs or so; not much joy dragging one of them from gig to gig...certainly not for me.

The S900/S700 or an E-50/60 make arranger playing much easier for those on the go....and they have built in speakers.

Ian

#255515 - 02/03/09 08:37 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Sunny ... YOU like the board? ... then it is the right board for YOU ...enjoy it fully ...

Some of you guys needed to be gigging when the 'portable' keyboard of choice was the Fender Rhodes 73 ... http://www.fenderrhodes.com/models/mark1a.php

LOVED it ... weight and all ...

t.

#255516 - 02/03/09 09:21 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Some of you guys needed to be gigging when the 'portable' keyboard of choice was the Fender Rhodes 73 ... [

Remember it well Tony...I had a 73...not a joy to move, a lot of fun to play, as long as the action was kept in shape.

I sure don't miss moving it, but one of my favorite sounds is still the Electric Piano...I'm a big fan of Bob James and Steely Dan, as well as Joe Sample to name only a few.

I'm sure glad the weight of keyboards are a lot less than they used to be.

Thanks for the great flashback.

Ian

#255517 - 02/03/09 09:48 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"Gentleman Don" is a world class writer.

His comments about civility( and the loss of former contributors) are dead on.

He is a class act, and, from a music business standpoint as well as a personal example, we could all do worse than to "listen and learn"

Besides, he's bigger than I am, so, If we ever work together, I'll con him into carrying the heavy stuff.

Russ

#255518 - 02/03/09 11:12 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
124 Offline

Congrats on the new board, Sunny!

Take no notice of Nedim, he just likes to stir it up, even prides himself on it from time to time. It takes all sorts.

I'm a Pa1X Pro owner simply because it's right for me, and that's the only reason why anyone should choose one board over another.

#255519 - 02/03/09 11:56 AM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
First things first... I play live as much as I do studio work. And down here in my little market, there is no such thing as cartage! I move my G70 myself, or often with the help of my guitarist. But a nice foldable dolly, and good leverage technique (and the newer handicapped access laws!) mean that I rarely EVER have to dead lift the entire thing. Roll in, roll out. I'm in my fifties, but lifting 45 lbs. onto a stand is no real task... I'm sure you don't leave your grandkids on the ground just because they are that heavy (do you tell them at five that they are too heavy for you?)...

Life, they say, is all about finding the right compromise. Given a choice between sound, playability (everyone knows how critical a 76 is to my style), and weight, I know the only one I am prepared to make a compromise about

Until Yamaha make a PSR with 76, at ANY weight, I have to pass. Until Yamaha make a PSR with a piano in it with more body, dynamics and no phase issues, I have to pass. Until Yamaha make a PSR that sounds like a live band, rather than a CD, I have to pass...

But if they make one of those at 40 lbs.+, I won't rule it out based on the weight... Does that make me more or LESS biased?

#255520 - 02/03/09 12:27 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
Pacesetter Offline

And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down

And go round and round and round
In the circle game

"The Circle Game" by Joni Mitchell

#255521 - 02/03/09 12:48 PM Re: Back Agin to good 'ol Yamahaland
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down

And go round and round and round
In the circle game

Well described Pacesetter.

The worse thing about this thread, is that Sunny's first forum post in a long time, and his obvious joy about his new keyboard, is spoiled by the insensitive and downright mean remarks by a few individuals who seem to have no respect for his feelings.

A "Circle" perhaps, Pacesetter, but a vicious circle to be sure.

Ian

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online