SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#255400 - 02/01/09 10:19 AM Re: Another original song done using PSR-S900
Dnj Offline

Agreeing with Dikis assesment no need to repeat....Larry no disrespect but as you say you play 500 gigs a year.....hasn't anyone ever said anything about the pitch problems on your vocals on gigs or as shown in these demos? Maybe a vocal coach would be of some help.

#255401 - 02/01/09 02:13 PM Re: Another original song done using PSR-S900
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Larry-

Congrats on a nice website, and an obviously successful reputation in the Chicago area. As a similar performer in the Dayton/Cincy/Cbus area, we share a lot of similarities.

I just went and listened to all your vocal demos. You have a nice voice...very pleasant. I've noticed two things that relate to issues the other guys have already raised.

1) To be clear, with out trying to be harsh, I think you're fearful of higher notes. In all your vocal demos, I couldn't find one instance where you nailed a nice strong high note and just let it hang out. You kind of "excuse me" sing them in my opinion.

...Two ways to handle this. Either transpose a tune down a tad and then sing the higher notes with more confidence like other notes OR refine your vocal technique and don't drop the keys...

Another thing I noticed was you seem to have one basic vocal style, regardless of the song style.

I was trying to figure out why I liked your My space stuff better than these demos and it has all to do with your singing. In the stuff you write, you tend to write vocal lines in your lower and mid registers, which jives with what I heard on your website demos.

I know you didn't ask for a critique of your website demos, and since you're doing 500 shows a year, you can tell me to go take a hike.

If you can go back and listen to your demo recordings with just the vocal...pretty sure you'll hear the discrepancies we do...

Regardless, you're obviously kicking ass in Chitown...good job...

Go Hawks!

Cheers...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#255402 - 02/01/09 03:32 PM Re: Another original song done using PSR-S900
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Im not joining my space just to hear songs....isnt there a link?

Donny ... ??? ...I just clicked on the link in Larry's post and got right to the tunes ... I'm not a member either...
t.

#255403 - 02/01/09 04:46 PM Re: Another original song done using PSR-S900
Beakybird Offline

Learning better vocal technique is high on my agenda - after I pay for all of the recording equipment I just purchased.

I actually get a lot of compliments on my voice - not every show. I have never had anyone complain to me about my voice during a show. I have had other complaints from seniors. They complain a lot. Like they've asked me to take a bath once in a while. I tell them to go to hell. I'm joking.

Has anyone ever heard of Brett Manning "Singing Success"? Do you think it's a rip-off. Google it. He guarantees an octave of improved range. Sounds like bullshit.

I will take out the fills on the song, turn up the guitar, bring it up an interval, do guitar fills instead of whoa whoa whoa. Maybe it will be a decent song then. I think it's a good simple song.

I checked out Harmony Central songwriter forum. I got more consistent positive feedback from them, but the few songwriters I heard were decidedly amateurish.

Beakybird

#255404 - 02/02/09 06:08 AM Re: Another original song done using PSR-S900
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Donny ... ??? ...I just clicked on the link in Larry's post and got right to the tunes ... I'm not a member either...
t.

Not me T I need to click a few links trackspin to get to hear the songs....not many reviews posted for some reason so I wonder if others are having the same problems also?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-02-2009).]

#255405 - 02/02/09 07:06 PM Re: Another original song done using PSR-S900
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I went to listen to this song fully expecting something really terrible after reading the comments.
I thought it was rather nice. I can hear the things some of the others mentioned, but they aren't that bad. If the song is done for a songwriting demo, it works for me.
However, constructive criticism is what makes us better, and they had some valid points.
I constantly have to remind myself to "Sing with confidence".
Keep on writin' and singin'!
DonM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online