SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#255226 - 02/01/09 07:07 AM Re: Bose L1 Question
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
So it's about 7' tall or so? And you can't fit it on stage?

DAMN...! That's a LOW ceiling

8' ceiling with a 2foot high stage .....whats there to figure out?

#255227 - 02/01/09 09:12 AM Re: Bose L1 Question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
There is no advantage to running two cables. The audio is best summed at the keyboard out put.

Myabe that is true theorectially, but I have tested this extensively, and to my ears it sounds better when running both sides of the keyboard into two channels on the L1.
DonM

#255228 - 02/01/09 10:41 AM Re: Bose L1 Question
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have to agree with Don. I tried using only one cable while testing my L1 before using it on gigs and I thought it sounded better with both cables in use.

What I was after was trying to find out if each part of the tower is fed by different chanels on the L1 and if so which chanel feeds the top and bottom. My thinking was if I ever ended up forced to use only the bottom set of speakers on the tower would running the L/R ouput into whatever chanel feeds the bottom part of the tower improve things.

Come to think of it - I don't pay any attention to which chan I connect my outputs to on my gigs - one plug goes into one input and the other into the other input.

Hammer

#255229 - 02/01/09 10:42 AM Re: Bose L1 Question
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Myabe that is true theorectially, but I have tested this extensively, and to my ears it sounds better when running both sides of the keyboard into two channels on the L1.
DonM

Same here Don.....just A/B and you'll hear the difference for sure. 2 Sound fuller.

#255230 - 02/01/09 10:45 AM Re: Bose L1 Question
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Same here Don.....just A/B and you'll hear the difference for sure. 2 Sound fuller.

Ditto.

#255231 - 02/01/09 12:12 PM Re: Bose L1 Question
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Don't understand how technically it can sound better because the fundamental problem as I see it is both stereo recordings of for an example, a piano are made on different locations on the instrument and sums badly in mono. You can't avoid the aural issues caused by combining two stereo recordings taken off different locations on the same piano.

This is why I thought it best to let the keyboard do all the summing as I have to assume the engineers "fixed" the stereo issues. Using the Mono Piano actually sounds better.

But its worth a try...
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#255232 - 02/01/09 12:16 PM Re: Bose L1 Question
Dnj Offline

Forget technically....use your ears!

#255233 - 02/01/09 08:57 PM Re: Bose L1 Question
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Forget your ears! They are the least trustworthy device you have!

At least give them a level playing field... The EXACT same file, when played back even a fraction of a db louder will sound different to your ears. They are very non-linear (and sensitive to volume) organs! In general, up to a point, the 'louder sounds better' rule applies.

Now, I don't know if you have thought about this, but feeding your arranger's output, summed into mono internally, and run through ONE cord may have a slightly different level to BOTH channels run in stereo to TWO channels on the board. So, before you make any hard and fast rules about whether internal mono sounds 'better' or 'worse' than externally summed mono, make sure you are monitoring the sound level at EXACTLY the same volume...

And I am afraid that most PA's don't have sensitive enough meters to tell you you are IDENTICAL on both systems. You might have to stick up a mike in front of the speaker and run into a DAW with some highly sensitive metering plug-in to be sure (and test levels with a sine tone or something non varying)...

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun, does it? But before you can well and truly say for SURE there really IS a difference, it needs to be done.

#255234 - 02/01/09 09:12 PM Re: Bose L1 Question
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Forget your ears! They are the least trustworthy device you have!

I didnt know you were an Audiologist too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiologist
....maybe your ears are blown ....but I'll trust my ears every time
Thank you very much.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-01-2009).]

#255235 - 02/01/09 09:17 PM Re: Bose L1 Question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you don't have or use the Bose system, I can't see why it would make any difference to you.
I have two of them, and I know what I'm hearing.
So do all the guys who attended the recent Jam.
DonM

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online