SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#255143 - 01/30/09 03:50 PM Need help from someone who knows html with my website
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I originally designed my website to have the nav bars and black border tight to the left of the screen, my pic tight to the right of the screen and at the same time the top of my page being longer from top to bottom. Somehow a fatal error or some such nonsense took place and I have a big blue border on the left and right and it seems the view varies in appearance on different sized, shaped monitors with different resolution settings. Of course I'd like to get my original look back and have it have the same appearance on all monitors and resolution settings.

I use a drag and drop yahoo site builder, which is great, with 24/7 help. Only problem is with this kind of program nobody working at yahoo seems to be trained in html. The tech I talked to thought that someone with that kind of training could give me a easy fix for this.

Can anybody out there help me out on this please?
http://ScottLMusic.com/Lessons

#255144 - 02/01/09 08:09 AM Re: Need help from someone who knows html with my website
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hi Scott, it looks that way on IE6.

This has nothing to do with design but I thought I would offer a tip. If I were you, I would take another photo for your page. To me, this photo is not friendly enough. I see two problems.

1. I had to look twice to recognize your keyboard as a keyboard. Seems dumb now that I know what it is but at first glance, I thought it was some type of computer equipment. And I play an arranger! Thus, the average person might have even more trouble recognizing it as a keyboard.

2. Your photo... I think you should have some semblance of a smile, even if it is very slight. Your facial expression, your attire and the keyboard stood on end make you look too business-like. Like your a computer programmer or something. Nothing wrong with that, haha, but you are promoting yourself as an entertainer here, not a programmer.

Good luck and I hope you don't mind the tip, it's only provided to help.

#255145 - 02/01/09 08:30 AM Re: Need help from someone who knows html with my website
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

I just took a look at the page and everything looks fine using Google Chrome. Maybe there is a problem with your browser.

I just went back and clicked inspect element so I could get an idea of what was used to set things up. It appears as if the page is set up in pixels only and not sized as a percentage. This provides a different view of the page, depending on what your monitor is set at.

Additionally, the photo is quite grainy and pixelated, which leads me to believe that you lowered the resolution so it would come up quickly on the screen. You may want to redo the photos and save them to a higher number of pixels so they'll be clearer.

Hope this helps,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 02-01-2009).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#255146 - 02/07/09 11:07 AM Re: Need help from someone who knows html with my website
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
hi scott,
your site looks ok to me. i like your
lesson idea. i wish you the best with your
business.
regards
dave

#255147 - 02/07/09 02:40 PM Re: Need help from someone who knows html with my website
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Like Gary pointed out the widths are all in absolute pixels rather than percentages which is why it doesn't change to fit the window size. If you can change that then it would solve your problem.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-07-2009).]

#255148 - 02/07/09 03:44 PM Re: Need help from someone who knows html with my website
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The other thing I notice is that the text in the center panel is formatted with line breaks so that the text lines will always be that width. That would also have to be changed if you want the text to fit a changing panel size.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online