SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#254945 - 01/30/09 05:31 AM Re: How's your weather?????
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
My elderly neighbor told me s that when he was a kid, it was so cold in the farmhouse that the flame on the candle froze, and they couldn't blow it out.

They threw it out the window, and come the spring, it thawed out and set the field on fire.

#254946 - 01/30/09 06:12 AM Re: How's your weather?????
newman Offline

ianmcnll,
Airconditioning? You betcha, what a wonderful invention.

Another stinking hot day today, a bit cooler than yesterday though, it only reached 45.5C (114F).
This photo gives you the idea.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SqhhJb_P3Kk/SH...hot+weather.jpg

#254947 - 01/30/09 06:22 AM Re: How's your weather?????
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by newman:
ianmcnll,
Airconditioning? You betcha, what a wonderful invention.

Another stinking hot day today, a bit cooler than yesterday though, it only reached 45.5C (114F).
This photo gives you the idea.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SqhhJb_P3Kk/SH...hot+weather.jpg

That was a good one!

Only 45.5 degrees...time for a sweater.

It was that cold here yesterday, I saw some people pushing a house down the street trying to jump start the furnace.

#254948 - 01/30/09 07:17 AM Re: How's your weather?????
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
If your area is like mine, a 1/2 hour drive is all it takes to locate hundreds of people who have nowhere to go to get out of the cold.

Man, we're lucky. I wish we could make all the pain and discomfort go away.

Russ

#254949 - 01/30/09 11:28 AM Re: How's your weather?????
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
At this rate my kids probably not going to be out of school until July....

Probably not a bad idea, on the whole!

If you compare hours in school and length of school year in the US compared to most western countries, we are short-changing our kids over here. In a global economy, your kids are competing with kids from across the planet. It simply stands to reason that if they are in school longer, they MIGHT learn more

The practice of letting them out of school at 2pm or thereabouts, long before their parents will get home just seems INSANE Another two hours in school a day might bring up SAT's across the board...

(Don't let your kids read this post, I don't need the death threats! )

#254950 - 01/30/09 11:49 AM Re: How's your weather?????
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It's 2:45 P.M., and the power is still not back on at my first house job of the evening (5:00 P.M.). Haven't been able to get my car close enough to the front door to easily load the little guy who had his foot amputated to take to his clinic appointment. Luckily, we can carry him...he's lighter now than he was before the operation (MY BAD!).

Whole shopping centers and older subdivisions are still without power, and some rural areas are looking at 6-7 weeks before things are back to normal.

What a difference! I lived in Maine, Minnesota, Michigan and Alaska for extended periods of time...places that were used to this kind of thing. The warnings now involve ice falling as things melt, causing further problems.

Luckily, the warehouse and my place didn't lose power. I've had a steady stream of people staying until things clear, or just stopping by for a shower.

R.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online