SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25440 - 08/08/01 10:06 AM 2nd beginner question on JV-2080
el biciclista Offline

In my other thread I forgot to ask this question:

Is there any way to get the digital signal out of the 2080, rather than an audio signal?

Currently I record the MIDI tracks (drums, bass, keyboards), then record mic guitar and vocals, then mix until I am happy with mix. At that point, I record the 2080 audio out as separate audio tracks (drums, bass, keyboards) in ProTools.

I take the 2080 audio out thru a A/D converter, then into digi001/ProTools.

I assume the sounds are generated in the 2080 digitally, then converted to audio output. Thus, I am going thru D/A, then A/D before the signal goes into ProTools. Can I avoid these conversion steps somehow?

Thanks!
Mike

#25441 - 08/08/01 12:12 PM Re: 2nd beginner question on JV-2080
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
No luck with the digital out - sorry.
As to your second post, have you tried editing the level sent to the inbuilt reverb?

If you really need a digital out, look at the XV5080, your expansion boards will still work with it, and it has Roland's RBUS digital out

#25442 - 08/08/01 01:45 PM Re: 2nd beginner question on JV-2080
el biciclista Offline

TSEA,
Thanks.
Am I correct that everything is done in the 2080 digitally, then converted internally in D/As?

The analog out works; I'm just trying to avoid all the conversion I can. I paid big bucks for top quality preamp and conversion for my miked inputs! I assume the D/A conversion in the 2080 can't be super high quality, just because Roland has to make it affordable.

Are the patches in the XV5080 essentially the same as those in the JV2080, or are they higher quality for some reason?

Thanks!
Mike

#25443 - 08/09/01 01:01 AM Re: 2nd beginner question on JV-2080
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
It will be in a digital domain - yes.
Couldn't tell you the bit rate, or if it's 16,18,20,or 24 bit.
I beleive the newer XV's are much the same sunth engine, but have twice the number of voices (128).
I do know that the smapled data for the waveforms/sounds is compressed, so even if you managed to get it before the DAC, the sound will be 'compremised'. If it sounds okay to your ears why worry?

I have yet to hear a XV myself, but I;ve heard the JV1080/2080. I personally didn't think they were that noisy.

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online