SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#254262 - 01/27/09 02:22 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I imagine Roland would be more concerned with selling the remaining units of it's 4 year old G70 line before it will venture towards a replacement.

#254263 - 01/27/09 03:26 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
[QUOTE]Originally posted by adimatis:
[B] yes, my bad, i all forgot about VA series.

i still believe the "prelude" is a prelude to the new top arranger from roland.

If that is the case then they need to call it The Roland Fugue...

#254264 - 01/27/09 03:31 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
maybe... "apogee"?

#254265 - 01/27/09 03:35 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ricok987:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by adimatis:
[B] yes, my bad, i all forgot about VA series.

i still believe the "prelude" is a prelude to the new top arranger from roland.

If that is the case then they need to call it The Roland Fugue...

Sounds like they may be going Baroque.

#254266 - 01/27/09 04:02 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by adimatis:
yes, my bad, i all forgot about VA series.

i still believe the "prelude" is a prelude to the new top arranger from roland. now, it might come in later than they wanted, due to the bad economy, but later this year or next year they will do it.

and i believe, and hope for, that next roland TOTL, just as prelude, will introduce some (more) serious synth features, like arpeggios, real-time sound modify, in-depth sound editing, etc. and since prelude is another form of the GW-8 synth, why not hope for a fantom-G arranger?

why wasn't VA so succesfull btw? or was it?

The VA series was probably a very big flop for Roland. They offered some new features with the style morphing and d-beam. But one of the biggest negatives on the VA was almost everything was controlled through the touch screen. The G1000 had a nice layout but the VA almost had no layout. Also the styles were just about the same, but there was new voices added. I had a hard time adjusting to VA coming from G1000/EM2000 board.

Let me also say I'm just talking about Roland US, I can't say for Europe, also one of big factors was also the price when it came out.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 01-27-2009).]

#254267 - 01/27/09 10:34 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You all get so worked up about the first letter or so of a product's designation...

The V/VA series WAS the replacement for the G-series. They changed the designation because so many new features were added it seemed appropriate. Kind of like when Yamaha dropped the PSR from their 9000 series and went with Tyros after THAT embarrassing flop

The V series was when Roland moved away from the Sound Canvas only sound set, it was the start of adding in V-Drum TD multi velocity drum samples, and samples from their TOTL WS products, and yes, just like Roland so often do, rather than build slowly (VERY slowly!) and incrementally like Yamaha do, Roland try to reinvent the wheel almost every model, and added in the 'flexible audio' features from their Varios system.

And yes, they tried to channel everything through the touch screen (but allowed MIDI hooks and FC-7 control, so it wasn't exactly cut and dried there..

But no, it wasn't a great success, and in all fairness, I think returning to the G-designation after the V/VA series wasn't a great success seems to have been a good idea. But the change of designation was just a marketing decision, as was the G series return, just as Tyros WAS the successor to the PSR 9000pro... (I don't imagine many are waiting around breathlessly for the PSR9001pro other than the return of the 76!)

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-27-2009).]

#254268 - 01/27/09 11:10 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
mc Offline

Is there a manual yet for the Prelude?

#254269 - 01/27/09 11:41 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Sounds like they may be going Baroque.

Or perhaps with regard to the G-70 and E-80, it's a case of if it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

#254270 - 01/27/09 12:27 PM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
mc Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
Or perhaps with regard to the G-70 and E-80, it's a case of if it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

How can something be "baroque", if you can never get your hands on it. It's hard to break something you can't find.

#254271 - 01/27/09 12:35 PM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
How can something be "baroque", if you can never get your hands on it. It's hard to break something you can't find.

I think Fran and Diki are hoarding them up for spare parts, just in case Roland reneges on a G70 replacement.

Ian

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online