SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#254242 - 01/25/09 05:09 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I have to agree, Donny, but I think it's not really meant to compete directly with the Yamahas...no style editing, and with no sounds comparable to mega voices, the styles tended to sound a little less realistic, although the drums were more "live" sounding.

I played a GW-8 a several weeks ago whilst at Music Stop (now Long & McQuade)in Halifax, and it was hooked up to a good set of monitors which helped to give it an impressive and warm sound, but hearing the PSR-S700 through the same system, the latter produced much better sounding styles, although the RH voices were much closer in quality between the two.

Ian

Besides all the feature drawbacks I would go as far to say the Gw8 isn't even in the same league sound wise as any S series unit.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-25-2009).]

#254243 - 01/25/09 08:10 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
What! Come on fellas.., I can understand comparing the GW's sound to some of the upper end, but saying the GW's not in the same league as the S series is a stretch. I've played the S700 by the way. The GW-8 uses the Fantom/SonicCell sound engine. The S-700 may have a few features on the GW-8, but in terms of sound quality..., the GW's got it. GW's pianos are much better.., GW has better drums, and is better in several other sound areas. I wouldn't even begin to compare it to the S550. The GW's also built much better than the S series.

Now comparing it to the S900's a bit different. The S900's got the SA voices.... However.., it has also been said that some of the GW's voices were trickled down from the SRX boards (as they did with the new Fantom G line)

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-25-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#254244 - 01/25/09 08:32 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I found the sounds pretty close in overall quality, but the big difference is the old chestnut that Yamaha and Roland have their own characteristic "sound"

So, one will tend to favor one over the other, depending on what sounds best to them...the "Yamaha" sound or the "Roland" sound.

I like the "Yamaha" sound...that's why I play one.

Style wise, the Yamaha S700 clearly has an edge because of the mega voices, of which Roland has no equal...again, that's my personal opinion.

Roland's drums are more "live", Yamaha's are more compressed...I like "compressed" for my type of music and for where I play...others may prefer a the former, depending on their needs.

Ian

#254245 - 01/25/09 08:34 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
donny...
i suppose that was not a joke, but i have to take it as it was. everything is not about mega and SA voices. many players prefer better keys and solid build instead, and guess what - fantom sounds are quite good, definitely more appealing to many compared with SA voices. and if only take drum sounds in discussion and we said it all.
when it comes about features, yes, s700 might be more interesting, but roland does provide a new unique thing with center cancel...

#254246 - 01/25/09 08:42 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'll agree the S700 has a few more features such as style recording, and more indepth sequencer (meaning more post editing options)..., but I think the GW has the S500/550/700 beat for sounds. Too much hype on mega voices IMO. SA voices are another thing though as they're in a league all their own.

I thought the styles on the S700 were pretty good.., but I would say my only gripe with them (which has been brought up a lot) was they sounded way too compressed and over quantized..., and he drums were usual Yamaha (some like them some don't)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#254247 - 01/25/09 08:47 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
ianmcnll Offline

Again, it's all about what a person wants to hear coming out of their speakers.

Some like a more compressed CD quality sound...some don't.

It's nice to have a choice.

#254248 - 01/25/09 11:44 AM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd say pluses for the Yamaha's... Mega voices (at this price point you can't use the SA ones) and better styles (but only some genres. Roland's modern beats are much better, IMO).

Pluses for the Roland... The drums, without a doubt. Almost ALL the sounds in the main drumkits (several kits worth of them) are multi-velocity, and if you get the GW-8L (no news yet on whether the Prelude will have a GW-8L clone version), a set or two of multi-velocity latin percussion to die for. Much better pianos (unless you LIKE that brittle thin Yamaha sound!), E.Pianos, etc..

So, all in all, it's pretty much the same old, same old when it comes to Yammie vs. Roland. Are the style guitars more important than the drums and bass? Do you want punchy and warm, at the sacrifice of style selection? Do you LIKE cold thin pianos?

I don't think the battle lines have moved much with this model...

#254249 - 01/25/09 01:10 PM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Again, it's all about what a person wants to hear coming out of their speakers.

Some like a more compressed CD quality sound...some don't.

It's nice to have a choice.

Ian I agree I've learned my lesson I'll stick with Yamaha for now.....& thats after seeing the Audya....great live sound & features but I have no need for it at this time..

#254250 - 01/25/09 01:16 PM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
ianmcnll Offline

One more thing lacking on the Prelude/GW-8 is EQ for each style part.

#254251 - 01/25/09 01:40 PM Re: Roland Prelude VIDEO now up!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
One more thing lacking on the Prelude/GW-8 is EQ for each style part.

Ian frankly I thought it was a toyish feeling when I played it in the store.. IMO. but what can you expect for the price.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online