SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#254085 - 01/26/09 01:16 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ah, I'm feeling better as well. This thread couldn't possibly have ended without a little Ian/Fran 'dust-up' .

chas

#254086 - 01/26/09 01:25 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
My G70 is consistent....If I can hear from a real G70 owner...tell me if your piano is consistent.....Still is hogwash to me..

You can put your boots in the oven, Fran, but that don't make them biscuits.

I had a G70 here for more than several days...I had time to evaluate everything about it...I'm pretty thorough.

If the unevenness doesn't bother you, or you can't hear it, that's okay.

Now, back to the hogs with you.

#254087 - 01/26/09 01:51 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is an example of the G70 "weird chord" recognition..I played over a Dmin,Sus6,9,13# chord..In the middle part you can hear the guitar playing the chord..

https://www.yousendit.com/download/WnBTak94ZEtsMHhMWEE9PQ

#254088 - 01/26/09 01:52 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OTOH, Ian, I've had quite some considerable time on PSR's, too. Of course, I don't actually OWN one. But I've probably spent as much time on one as you have a G70...

But if my opinion of it is at odds with yours, you are not likely to accept it.

And I'm sorry, but despite your denials of it, I still think the PSR piano sound is the nastiest, brittlest sound available in almost ANY arranger. Truly awful...

Now, does me saying this make it true, in your opinion? Probably not. Likewise you (and so far ONLY you) saying the G70 piano is inconsistent has about as much weight.

But here's perhaps a more objective viewpoint. Find someone, or perhaps several someone's that agree with your viewpoint. No-one has EVER posted a criticism of the G70 piano as 'inconsistent' on the Roland forum. And we are a LOT more picky than the mostly fanboy responses on most of the Yamaha forums. For a start off, any keyboard THAT expensive (and heavy ) is going to have much higher expectations. And so far, in the hands of actual users, NO-ONE has made this critique of the G70 piano.

Except you... Coincidence? Bias? Or just unmitigated bullsh*t? I lean towards the latter.

The sad thing is, should you NEED a list of the G70's faults, you can come to the Roland Arranger Forum, and get an honest shopping list of faults reported by actual users. No shortage of REAL things to pick from. But to make one up, just to make a point...?

You been hanging with CraigUK lately?

#254089 - 01/26/09 01:56 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
The problem Diki is that the question was answered.
The audia can play and recognized chord extensions period.
at least that is what was represented by a Ketron representative here on the forum.
But you are the one choosing not to accept the answer.

And for all of the rest of you that are willing to take Ketron's posted answer, as brief, uninformative and begrudged as it was....

Did you read mrdave's post? Here is a USER, posting what is ACTUALLY going on. And boy, it's got nothing to do with what Ketron have posted here. The audio section does NOT recognize AND play ALL chords. It plays SOME of them, and then adds in MIDI notes for some of the extensions.

Now, I don't know if you know anything about guitars, and guitar voicings, but get a guitarist to play a C6 chord. Now get him to play a C69. IT'S A DIFFERENT CHORD. He doesn't (can't!) simply add another note (the 9th) to what he already played. He's only GOT six strings! That's what makes guitar parts so unique, so difficult to play on a keyboard. And so instantly recognizable when they are wrong.

Maybe, to you, this doesn't matter much. To others, perhaps you MIGHT allow them the luxury of caring.

Look, Ian, for an example, is a Yamaha demonstrator, and will often chime in with completely 'unbiased' opinions about Yamaha's, and 'honest' opinions (strangely, mostly negative!) about everything else... Yet somehow, many of us here don't simply take every last 'fact' he spews as gospel...

Why does taking one Ketron rep's statement as a 'fact' make sense, in the face of, firstly, common sense (I've already posted at length about the impossibility of having the audio data for ALL chords possible available to stream), and now, an actual user's report, where he describes the process in FAR more detail than Ketron were willing to?

It is CLEAR that the answer to my question is FAR more complex than 'The audia can play and recognized chord extensions period (sic)'.

But go ahead and accept all that bull at face value, if you want. But allow me my skepticism. Or we might as well all buy a PSR. Because a part time Yamaha employee and demonstrator has quite definitively told us that every other arranger is rubbish, and that the PSR S900 is by FAR the best arranger out there (OK, MAYBE the T3 is a worthy second keyboard, if you need a worse keybed than the S900 )...

And heck, who are WE to doubt that?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-26-2009).]

#254090 - 01/26/09 02:05 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
ianmcnll Offline

Thank you for the great reply Diki; I'll waste no time reading it.

My opinion still stands...the G70's piano is inconsistant in the middle.

Ian

#254091 - 01/26/09 02:26 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
Diki Offline

But that's just it, Ian... It's ONLY your opinion. I've done a search here, and at R-A.com.

NOT ONE other post agreeing with that 'opinion'.

But hey, as long as YOU say it is so, it MUST be, eh? I mean, you've never shown ANY bias here before, have you? If yours are the ONLY ears hearing this 'problem' (and unable to hear the widely commented 'thin' Yamaha piano sound), might I suggest a trip to the audiologist...?

#254092 - 01/26/09 02:30 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Now for the comparison of the "lowly" Gw/Prelude sounds compared to the comparable PSR series....You guys better spend more time listening side by side...without the hype...just more hog wash...

Being a Roland fanboy, you would like the GW-8/Prelude more, Fran, but we Yamaha guys just happen to prefer the sound of the S700.

I took your suggestion and ignored the hype about the GW-8/Prelude...and you're right...it is just "hog wash".

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-27-2009).]

#254093 - 01/26/09 02:42 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But hey, as long as YOU say it is so, it MUST be, eh?

Correctomundo.

AND, it may prompt a few of the more open minded Roland fanboys to listen a little closer to the G70's uneven middle.

If that's all it does...that's cool.

Ian

#254094 - 01/26/09 04:57 PM Re: Audya Chord recognition thread
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
the PSR S900 is by FAR the best arranger out there

True.

It is a remarkable instrument. Thank you.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-27-2009).]

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online