SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#253262 - 01/09/09 03:43 PM E-80 Bender Problems with Rotary Effect
Murrmeister Offline

When playing in organ mode on my E-80 I'm finding my bender wheel not switiching the rotary effect on/off with any accuracy. Sometimes I'll hit it and nothing happens. After 3/4 tries it'll finally change.

The rotary effect works fine from the graphics section (page 2) of the vk engine... I can touch the screen and the effect works everytime. I can also control it with the DBeam with 0 failures, just the bender doesn't seem to catch each time. Also bending standard instruments works every time as well.

I contacted Roland service on the phone and the tech in service got me into a diagnostics mode and we re-calibrated the bender, but this still didn't help. We tried this a couple of times, but finally he admitted that he was at a loss for the reason and would have to do some more research and get back to me. He said the bender is not a physical/analogue type switch, rather a digital device and the software is just sensing the movement as per the calibration settings I witnessed...

My question:
A. Do all E-80s have this quirk?

I would appreciate other owners testing this out and replying. On my E it'll switch maybe 5/6 times no problem... either moving right and then left like the real leslie switch on a hammond, or just toggling it by going left or right only, but after the 5/6 time it'll stall and won't change speeds for 3/4 switching attempts and then it'll go again.

I'm finding this quite frustrating while playing. I'm pretty used to using the switch on my B/Cs over the years, and don't have a foot pedal yet.

Thanks for your responses and testing.

#253263 - 01/09/09 09:48 PM Re: E-80 Bender Problems with Rotary Effect
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Search at Roland-Arranger.com for this issue... It turns out to be an alignment issue with the bender, if I remember correctly... It IS fixable.

If I were you, any Roland specific questions will get answered faster and more definitively over at Roland-Arranger.com.

#253264 - 01/11/09 08:56 AM Re: E-80 Bender Problems with Rotary Effect
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had this exact problem but found a fix - as Diki says, all the details are on the Roland Arranger forum:
http://roland-arranger.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=932.0

It is a calibration issue, but there's a trick in how you do it.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online