Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#252902 - 01/09/09 11:27 AM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I guess I'm using the IT designation wrongly... I simply mean people that work fulltime on solving PC issues, whether network, or OS related, software related, all the frustrating stuff that DOES send people screaming into the Apple camp (and DOESN'T send Apple users screaming into the PC camp! ).

Let's put it this way. There isn't ONE person on this thread claiming that problems with their Mac made them switch to a PC, where they have had a problem-free existence ever since. But there ARE some on this thread (and on others, in the past, too) that have done that from the PC.

There are MANY things I like to do other than make music. Sailing (but I wouldn't want to build a boat!), cooking (I don't grow my own food), playing poker (not well enough to make a living though )... but building my own computer, and troubleshooting it afterwards is not one of those. Could I save a bit of money? Sure. Do I want to invest the time? Not bloody likely!

You accuse me of spouting Mac Myths. But you have spouted the biggest whopper on this thread. That it is EASY to assemble, troubleshoot, and operate a PC trouble-free. If it were, there wouldn't be a Geek Squad in every Best Buy in the USA...

Diki 9% if the population 30 plus years later use APPLE!! Not a whole lot of screamers in 30 years. I guess there is no relevance to that. Major business chose MSOS when they could have either and still do.

People are scared,gullible and lazy. They just want to press a button and have it so. Apple was founded on that principle and still lives by it (see Ipod). They control their users with simplicity yet STILL they don't have a foot hold large enough for major software companies want to bother writing for or worse Apple has a grip on their code for more control.

Geek Squads are there for one reason. To make huge profits scaring gullible people into buying extended contracts convincing the PC is a scary and complicated machine. You are more than proof of that.

The biggest ripoff of the ignorant and scared easily American public in he past 20 years is the Extended Warranty.The profits from EWs alone paid for Circuit City's ENTIRE operating Margins in 2006 and half of Best Buys!!

Scary complicated PC....12 parts readily available assembled in an hour or so. You wonder how Michael Dell became what he became. He was putting these things together en mass in his garage. Now kids are realizing they can do what he did and building their own as well. Notebooks are the where the profit is now.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 01-09-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252903 - 01/09/09 11:42 AM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I guess I'm using the IT designation wrongly... I simply mean people that work fulltime on solving PC issues, whether network, or OS related, software related, all the frustrating stuff that DOES send people screaming into the Apple camp (and DOESN'T send Apple users screaming into the PC camp! ). Let's put it this way. There isn't ONE person on this thread claiming that problems with their Mac made them switch to a PC, where they have had a problem-free existence ever since. But there ARE some on this thread (and on others, in the past, too) that have done that from the PC.

I switched in '98. Never looked back.

I use a top-of-the-line HP notebook running XP in my day job. And it's a crock compared to my Mac running OSX.

Even the merest suggestion than anyone fully familiar with both options would prefer Windows is frankly risible.

#252904 - 01/09/09 11:44 AM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Notebooks are the where the profit is now.

"Market research figures released Wednesday have Apple's share of the North American market for notebooks, up from 6.6 percent to 10.6 percent in the second quarter of this year, compared to last year. Every other major notebook maker's market share was either flat or down, compared to the previous year, with market leaders Hewlett-Packard and Dell picking up just 0.3 percent and 0.2 percent, respectively, and Acer's share plunging 4.2 percent, including Gateway's totals."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10044204-37.html

#252905 - 01/09/09 01:20 PM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Careful, Seamaster... don't incur the Wrath of Froggy...

You KNOW, of course, that anything you say, if he doesn't agree with it, is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG... (and the hell with anyone that doesn't accept his blinkered view).

All evidence to the contrary, of course.

The world's greatest arranger expert (that can't play) The world's best Mac expert (that doesn't have one) The definitive answer for EVERYTHING.

Yep, Froggy... No-one EVER goes to the Geek Squad with a problem with their PC... you are, as always, in all things, eternally correct

Now go and insult someone ELSE'S intelligence for a while, eh? I'm getting tired of you ganging up on ME... There's GOT to be someone else here that doesn't agree in lockstep with everything you say, surely?

#252906 - 01/09/09 02:19 PM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Careful, Seamaster... don't incur the Wrath of Froggy...

You KNOW, of course, that anything you say, if he doesn't agree with it, is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG... (and the hell with anyone that doesn't accept his blinkered view).

All evidence to the contrary, of course.

The world's greatest arranger expert (that can't play) The world's best Mac expert (that doesn't have one) The definitive answer for EVERYTHING.

Yep, Froggy... No-one EVER goes to the Geek Squad with a problem with their PC... you are, as always, in all things, eternally correct

Now go and insult someone ELSE'S intelligence for a while, eh? I'm getting tired of you ganging up on ME... There's GOT to be someone else here that doesn't agree in lockstep with everything you say, surely?

If there are other who don't agree, they are awfully silent. Uh Dude... Apple took 30 years to reach 10%. W O W? AM I supposed to say W O W ???

This is a mandate for Apple use all over the US world? Now that would be an insult to anyone's intellect...even a reasonable MAC user.

I am not a MAC expert. I only know Apple took more than 30 years to gain 10.6% of the PC population. OK.......W O W!!!

Perhaps here is the reason for the whopping 1% increase (of course DESPITE Vista's ugly release!!!!)

"Intel Inside"

Apple Kool-Aid is tasting more like Washington State Apples every year.

Perhaps the fact that MAC is becoming more like the other 90% of PCs though and even discarding SCSI Drives in favor of SATA and using INTEL CHIPS has garnered that precious 1%!!! My my my.....Seems people might even run Leopard on any PC.. if only they had the choice of software Windows users have enjoyed, maybe they would eek out another 1%. Don't hold your breath,

Arranger expert...ME? No that would be you!
You are the guy who constantly finds yourself
Trashing other brands and making it personal and incessantly defending the G70 . I chose Yamaha simply because it is better supported. Period. I could care less who plays what.

Don;t confuse humility with ability DIKI,
by playing the "I can't play the piano therefore I should have no opinion card" with me just because I am far more humble than you are in that regard. I've posted my work. Even stuff I an not proud of. I've nothing to hide. Some even liked it. Imagine that? An no Arranger was used! Yikes.

You are playing an ARRANGER keyboard for your supper. What if people thought a real player should stand on their pianist skills alone. No frills. Nothing but piano and or vocal. Now THAT would impress even you. ....perhaps not. But I know people who have done and still do exactly that and make a very very good living. Pianoworld is full of them as are the local theaters, bars and restaurants.
Haven't sold an Arranger keyboard to any of them. They don't need it.

Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252907 - 01/09/09 02:36 PM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
BBBB Offline

Being a Gemini, I guess I have 2 minds. Mac is all about user interface AND more importantly hardware that is made to work with it. Mac is a Hardware company primarily. PC is all about trying to be all things to all people. Microsoft is a software company and they try to make Software that works with all kinds of different hardware. I still have my PC with a 20 inch SONY flat panel,ATI RADEON graphics card built in TV TUNER, Creative Audigy sound card internal and CUBASE. But I find I only use it when I have to. If I can find a MAC application that does what I need to do I go with that. I use Logic Pro and Garageband not CUBase now. I plug my E60 USB into my Macbook Pro. I no longer use the Audigy but my APOGEE DUET is fantastic for recording directly into my MACBOOK. As others have said, they would have gone with a Mac if their existing software was compatible and I certainly respect that. VIsta was a disaster for some people and not others but a lot of that was do to hardware drivers and security. Networking was also a nightmare for some. I just got an Airport Extreme wireless router and it was so easy to install even working with the PC. For video and photo applications I dont believe you can beat the MAC. Having said that APPLE can be pretty arrogant sometimes ie: the ad campaigns but any dealings I have had with my local Apple store have been great. As far as businesses go take a look at what the creative people are using in film and music. Personally, I don't have a problem using both and taking the best of each. Do your research and pick what' right for you. Cheers Brian!

#252908 - 01/09/09 03:13 PM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Or just do what Kingfrog says... that MUST be the way to go...

Look, Kingfrog, this is all (on BOTH our parts) getting a bit silly. You can ignore the comments about frustrated PC users who switched to a Mac and are now happy campers all you want. It doesn't make it any less true.

And you can claim that the Geek Squad only exists to put fear into ignorant shoppers (ignorant, despite buying a PC, though!) all you want. Doesn't make it a FACT. Ridiculous claims like this don't really make some of your better points as clear. You are beginning (well, not exactly beginning!) to sound like Ian, about all things Yamaha. Completely partisan, and blithely unaware of (or deliberately blind to) actual posters' actual experience that doesn't conform to your world view...

Mac only has 10% market share? No surprise, really... 10% sounds like the correct figure. Only 10% of any population has any brains The rest act like sheep.

Baaaaa!

#252909 - 01/09/09 03:19 PM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Apple took 30 years to reach 10%. W O W? AM I supposed to say W O W ???

And Macdonalds sells more meals than the Savoy Grill.

Your point, son?

#252910 - 01/09/09 03:38 PM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
And Macdonalds sells more meals than the Savoy Grill.

Your point, son?

WOW Great analogy and quite logical....

Yeah I get it now......The reason MAC has not cracked more than 10% of the PC user population is because they are "Elite".....20X the cost... even though now the meat between the buns is the same....Yeah thats a great reason to buy a Mac..The BUNS!!!!!!.

Thanks for that precious jewel of logic......Dad.

Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252911 - 01/09/09 03:57 PM Re: OT: thinking of a new computer need advice
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I always figured this place was just like a big dysfunctional family...

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online