SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#252577 - 01/06/09 05:36 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I am afraid that one thing I almost NEVER see posted here is a discussion on bass lines. You would think no-one even listens to them, for all the attention they get!

But the one hugest difference between a song specific style, and an SMF is the bass line. Arranger bass lines never know what chord is next, so you don't get the voice leading and walking that the real line does (or any bass line played by a bass player). The bass line is one of the things that make a song a song.

No matter how specific the other parts get, the lack of a decent bass line is one of the main reasons I prefer an SMF when I'm trying to nail a particular arrangement...

But once again I point out the usefulness of Markers in SMF's. If you have never tried them yet, and are still using song specific styles just so you can rearrange structure on the fly, you are in for a surprise!

Are you kidding? didnt you know SMF's are Taboo to most players....where you been?

#252578 - 01/06/09 05:39 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
You're right...they make for impressively authentic demos...but they also sound pretty cool to the player who does not want to use SMF.

I also agree that the excellent quality generic styles on the Yamaha lend themselves to a much wider usage, and, if I may add, they also provide a great basis for making your own styles using style assembly.

Having great "cover" AND generic styles would seem to be a "no-brainer" in encompassing the best of both worlds...kudos to Yamaha for having both...plus...an extensive third party style base unequalled by any other manufacturer.

Ian

Your so right Ian.....

generic styles are the way to go....the Yamaha Detroit 2 style is simply brilliant for songs in the My Girl genre.......
love it!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-06-2009).]

#252579 - 01/06/09 11:28 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Are you kidding? didnt you know SMF's are Taboo to most players....where you been?

LOL... I know, I know...

Where would some of us here be if we couldn't recover from a clam by holding the arranger on one chord until we regroup?

The poor SMF doesn't give you as much opportunity to 'fake it'!

#252580 - 01/06/09 11:52 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
... and when will someone come out with an arranger that will recognize that Q-minor chord I just played, or better, an arranger that does what I want, not what I actually did . . .

:-)

jim

#252581 - 02/22/09 12:47 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Here is another (for Tyros3):

Skiffle: "Lay Down Sally"

#252582 - 02/22/09 02:18 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I am afraid that one thing I almost NEVER see posted here is a discussion on bass lines. You would think no-one even listens to them, for all the attention they get!

But the one hugest difference between a song specific style, and an SMF is the bass line. Arranger bass lines never know what chord is next, so you don't get the voice leading and walking that the real line does (or any bass line played by a bass player). The bass line is one of the things that make a song a song.

No matter how specific the other parts get, the lack of a decent bass line is one of the main reasons I prefer an SMF when I'm trying to nail a particular arrangement...

But once again I point out the usefulness of Markers in SMF's. If you have never tried them yet, and are still using song specific styles just so you can rearrange structure on the fly, you are in for a surprise!

Agreed. If we are going for a specific song we use the Toon1000 Library Which not only contains the exact arrangemnt, but also the harmony parts already programmed in to the SMF. I don't care for styles that are renditions of certain songs. Pretty much eliminates its use for anything else and the SMF files are always better. Especially the Basslines which may not be always on the Tyros does not allow for Bass selection on the root without delveing into a menu (not sure if registration will be of help here. The Tyros, unlike the Korg, does not have the "button" on the panel to make those changes during the song.

SMF always has correct bass lines. Thats where the rub is using MFD "songs"
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252583 - 02/23/09 11:11 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Kingfrog,
I googled toon1000 to see where I could get the SMF's...No hit??

I'm interested in making some song specific styles with the Toon1000 files.
Lee

#252584 - 02/23/09 11:22 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Tune1000

#252585 - 02/23/09 12:02 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll bet they are readily available for the asking.
DonM

#252586 - 02/23/09 12:11 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Kingfrog,
I googled toon1000 to see where I could get the SMF's...No hit??

I'm interested in making some song specific styles with the Toon1000 files.
Lee

Toon1000 is out of business. We got their library before they became unavailable. Very good SMFs including lyrtics and harmony settings.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online