SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#252544 - 01/03/09 08:55 PM Mic pre amps
zuki Offline

Can someone give me an idea of a low cost pre amp that might aid in my recording? My setup is a Shure KSM27 and Boss BR1200CD.

Thanks.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#252545 - 01/03/09 09:38 PM Re: Mic pre amps
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Can someone give me an idea of a low cost pre amp that might aid in my recording? My setup is a Shure KSM27 and Boss BR1200CD.

Thanks.

WOW you will get all kinds of opinions, Some of which will cost you $2000+,

What I tell my customers is to keep the quality of the recording chain similar. It makes no sense to use a $100 mike with a $3000 Pre amp. As the price goes up the returns diminish.

Anyway here's my suggestion and what I have used for years. My mike choice is the Rode NT2 (which they do not make anymore). We Also have an AKG414 but I like the Rode better and use the Joe Meek VCQ1s. You have a good mike.
Some good choices for you would be
Grace Design m101 $600
GroveTubes Brick $400
True Systems P-SOLO $500
My personal favorite if I were buying today Joe Meek OneQ http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Joe_Meek_OneQ_1U_Deluxe_Channel_Strip_with_Free_ONEQKIT.html

All less than $700

Im happy with Joe Meek but ANY of these would more than suffice in a Home Studio
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252546 - 01/04/09 07:55 AM Re: Mic pre amps
zuki Offline

YIKES! Thanks KF for the reply. Is it a waste of money to buy a preamp for less than $100?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#252547 - 01/04/09 08:05 AM Re: Mic pre amps
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

You can probably do quite well by firing your mics into an Alesis 6FX ($99). It's an excellent mixer that has great effects and very crisp, clean sound quality. From my perspective, the emphasis should be placed on the mic, followed by the mixer, then followed by the recording system. Skimp on any of them and, obviously, the end product quality suffers.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#252548 - 01/04/09 08:22 AM Re: Mic pre amps
zuki Offline

Thanks Gary,

But I think the 1200CD, being a mixer with all the goodies, would be a duplicate? I think I'm needing more of a power boost because the onboard phantom power of the 1200 is weak? I need some education in this area.....and what about the tube technology that these preamps have. Do I need that for my mic only (not a guitarist)...? confused

#252549 - 01/04/09 08:47 AM Re: Mic pre amps
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

The recorder's phantom power should measure 48-volts DC, which is the standard, and according to what I could find on the mic specifications, it will operate with as little as 11-volts DC, which is probably due to it's oversize diaphragm.

From the reviews I've read on the mic, it's not as sensitive as some, and lends itself to singers holding the mic nearly vertical and singing into the side. Like some of the other high-end Shure mics it probably requires a powerful singer to get the most out of the mic.

As for the tube pre-amps, overall they usually provide a softer, fuller sound than some of the solid state systems, which tend to be a bit more crisp and clear. Tube systems have other issues, but overall, they are rated very high by the recording industry.

Before spending a lot of money on another recording system I would first try using a different mic, one that has a different polar pattern. This often makes a huge difference.

I'll be back in the office after 6 tonight, and until noon tomorrow if you want to give me a call.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#252550 - 01/04/09 10:53 AM Re: Mic pre amps
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Another budget preamp (of COURSE I'm not going to recommend a Neve or UA for a budget mike!) worth a look is the RNP by FMR Audio. Super clean, quite inexpensive. http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

Tied to their RNC compressor, it's a potent combination for many tasks...

#252551 - 01/04/09 11:24 AM Re: Mic pre amps
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
YIKES! Thanks KF for the reply. Is it a waste of money to buy a preamp for less than $100?

Also understand where I am coming from. When I was asking the same question in a Recording forum years ago I was ridiculed for my choice, which was $700 at the time.
Some self proclaimed experts were convinced you could not make a good recording with less then an Avalon or Vintage UA...BS.

That said I know what was expensive technology ten years ago has been likely passed down to less expensive units. Perhaps even Mixer pres.

My first Large Diaphragm mike cost more than $600 AT4033. There were none cheaper. (Maybe the square CAD), Now they are a dime a dozen and every much as good as my AT3033 for less than $100! Perhaps you can indeed find a simple a great preamp for $100.

Channel Strips are the equivalent of a whole strip on a good mixing board. Especially those with optical vs VCA ompression, EQ, maybe even an aural exciter which I don't use.

IN the $100 Arena
These single amp only units would suit your economic and aural requirements
Presonus Tube Pre $129
Art Tube MP Studio V3 $75
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252552 - 01/04/09 11:28 AM Re: Mic pre amps
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you have a decent mixer, maybe a small Onyx or the like, to be honest, you already have eight pretty decent preamps!

#252553 - 01/04/09 11:29 AM Re: Mic pre amps
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Another budget preamp (of COURSE I'm not going to recommend a Neve or UA for a budget mike!) worth a look is the RNP by FMR Audio. Super clean, quite inexpensive. http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

Tied to their RNC compressor, it's a potent combination for many tasks...

I agree with ANY preamp that HAS COMPRESSION a a minimum requirement for a pre amp. At least in the insert channel if you are going to use mixer pres. I also agree your preamp requirements will change with the sensitivity of the mike you use. In you case you need a very quiet pre amp because you will be stuning up the heat on that mike.

Especially if you are or record singers who go from 12mph to 120 and don't want to worry about playing with the fader. IMO optical compressors are less "intrusive" and transparent. Tubes themselves can act as a slight compressor if you have a mild singer like a James Taylor.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 01-04-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online