SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#252226 - 01/02/09 08:34 AM Gotta' have a backup...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For those of us that perform for a living, backups are an essential part of life. In most instances, we have some way of backing up our overall systems so that if one component fails, there's a work-around at your fingertips that keeps the music flowing and the dancefloors packed.

Unfortunately, there isn't a backup for the most important component--YOU! What do you do when you break down? And, when this happens the day before New Year's Eve, and the breakdown is fairly severe, you could really be in trouble.

The evening prior to NYE was just a 2-hour job, a NYE party before NYE. It was at an assisted living center where I perform monthly. That morning my throat felt a bit scratchy, and by the time I left for the job I was down to a whisper. I was able to perform the first 90 minutes by occasionally nibbling on dill pickles, which softly anesthetize the vocal chords and cut the mucus. The final 30 minutes, however, was all done with instrumentals. Everyone was happy, I was paid well, and drove home wondering if I would even have a voice the next day. I didn't!

In the past I had Jimsax and Bob Lee to lean on when something like this happened. Unfortunately, they've both passed away. I called Joe Ayala and hoped he could cover at least one of the six jobs I had scheduled from December 29 and January 3, but he too was booked solid.

Fortunately, I was able to reach Ken King, who at this point is still a fledgling OMB entertainer, but is a fine musician and plays frequently in a trio. He was open for NYE and able to cover three of the jobs. The others were rescheduled without much difficulty.

Ken was happy to do the jobs, he made lots of money, and I'm slowly but surely recovering. It will be interesting to read how other forum members would handle this type of situation.

Happy New Year,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#252227 - 01/02/09 08:48 AM Re: Gotta' have a backup...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Gary...
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Falling ill during my peak season has always been a worry for me. In 2005 I was able to find suitable replacements when I came down with Bells Palsy and the Shingles. A mild heart attack this past May occurred during a dry spell when I wasn't booked.

As you know, I sometimes perform with a girl singer...and she has come to my rescue several times when I was able to play but unable to sing. It cost me a couple of paychecks, but kept the clients happy.

Get well soon. The Dills and Joy Juice should help.

Eddie

#252228 - 01/02/09 09:18 AM Re: Gotta' have a backup...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
In ten plus years I missed one band gig, when my Mom died. There's another kb/singer in town who we asked to sit in, and the other 3 guys got him through it.

Solo wise, a great deal of the NH stuff is often able to be rescheduled. For stuff that was date sensitive, I'd probably holler at Jim (aka zuki) to the South of me to see if he could cover it.

Careful with that Joy Juice, sunshine!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#252229 - 01/02/09 11:09 AM Re: Gotta' have a backup...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary if I was doing a "solo"..I would do instrumentals...some vocals if possible, but not enough to lose my voice..and easily switch to DJ mode...the show would never miss a beat..

BTW: I think it is always a good idea to have yourself recorded as a backup too...DJ with your personal touch..

#252230 - 01/02/09 02:28 PM Re: Gotta' have a backup...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran,

Doing any of the jobs at all was out of the question. I had no voice, fever of 101.4, chills, muscle aches and weak as a newborn kitten. I couldn't have even done a DJ job under those conditions, and I sure as heck would not expose any of my audiences to the same problems I was experiencing. Everything else is backed up, including 60 songs done on the PSR-3000 with me singing and stored in the laptop. This is the third day of antibiotics and other than the cough and lessening sore throat, I think I'm rounding the bend on this one.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#252231 - 01/02/09 04:48 PM Re: Gotta' have a backup...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Actually, I think getting someone to sub as a OMB might not be too difficult - EXCEPT OF COURSE a day/night such as New Year's Eve ...
There are a few OMB I know in the area - including Zoners SteveM and Mikey - ...
BUT, it was more difficult to do it when we had the band in NYC, because - not to 'not sound humble' - I was the 'music director' and front man for the group ... We had a number of set 'routines' that we did which were difficult if not impossible for someone 'just sitting in' for a night ...
Fortunately, there were not too many times I could not make a gig ...

t.
PS Gary, hope you are 100% real soon ...
t.

#252232 - 01/02/09 06:47 PM Re: Gotta' have a backup...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gary...Hope You Feel 100% plus SOON...Health First...Earnings will follow My Friend...I'm losing My Gallbladder next Friday. Can't wait to exit the pain!...Harold

#252233 - 01/03/09 07:16 AM Re: Gotta' have a backup...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Gary,

I was so sorry I couldn't help you out. I know what it feels like to be in the condition you were in. And at those times this business we're in seems to take on a cosmic importance. I'm glad you were able to find a replacement. I've called Ken King a couple of times myself and he's been busy. Hope you are feeling better.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#252234 - 01/03/09 07:21 AM Re: Gotta' have a backup...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Gary if I was doing a "solo"..I would do instrumentals...some vocals if possible, but not enough to lose my voice..and easily switch to DJ mode...the show would never miss a beat..

BTW: I think it is always a good idea to have yourself recorded as a backup too...DJ with your personal touch..

Yes Yes & YES!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online