Loc: English Riviera, UK
Interesting article on the PKO website
http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=17337.0

Regards

Bill

#252203 - 12/30/08 08:08 AM Re: Yamaha owners please note
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
If that is in fact true...then EVERYONE that 'plays in public' should sell their Tyros 3 (and maybe all the other Yamaha's too) and never buy one again!

If they really want these to be a home keyboard only...then we should ail out and get something else.

Steve, What is the real story here?

No body wants a law suit from Yamaha!

Lee

#252204 - 12/30/08 08:25 AM Re: Yamaha owners please note
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

You are NOT allowed to extract the styles, sounds, operating system for commercial use.
These are the interlectual property of Yamaha.

Of course you can play the keyboard in public. It is what it is intended for.

Take it easy: Someone has got the copyright stuff mixed up!

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#252205 - 12/30/08 09:57 AM Re: Yamaha owners please note
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I would bet the Motif XS has the same wording in their manual and the Motif is used commercially buy mega acts and in shows and on CDs all over the world to a far greater extent than a T3 Arranger. The Motif has 6000 Arps that can be constructed into material for sale and performance for commercial use.

I am sure Yamaha is not going to go after someone who sells CD's at their sets or makes demos using styles present of the Yamaha. That would be like buying a loop disk for personal use only. IF the song is going to sell a million copies it would in all likelihood be rerecorded anyway.

I see it more like most on PK. They would rather someone does not reverse engineer their styles for use in competitor's products (which is being done far more then Hit songs are being sold using their styles)

The fact seems to be, money is being earned using these keyboards in performance and recordings and I have not heard of a single case of royalties being demanded for the use of keyboard sounds or arps. An arrangement is a fancy loop or Arp/

Much ado about nothing. If you really want to scare yourself ask your clients if they pay a blanket fee to ASACP, BMI and or SESAC. If they don't YOU are responsible to.
if you play music covered by them.

I have personal experience with SESAC as Neils moved his library to them for a very handsome upfront payment. SESAC became real aggressive and went after users. Legends got a nasty notice and Micky Gilley told me he dropped 'America' and 'Sweet Caroline' from his show in Branson after a
settlement". No one knew this. SESAC was a small player. He went on to removed a few seats from the theater because payment to ASCAP and BMI was based on seat count. Neil was the only artist who' music he was performing in his show that wasn't part of BMI or ASCAP Performance Organizations.

IF anyone is playing a wedding or in any public place that is not under a blanket contract with those organizations they are subject to lawsuit for non payment of performance royalties.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 12-30-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252206 - 12/31/08 02:50 PM Re: Yamaha owners please note
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Here's the last reply from YPKO:
Hi,

I've been out of touch for the last few hours, but spoke with a very nice gentleman named Steve at Yamaha here in The States about the situation today. He was very kind and helpful. By the way, even with Christmas and Sunday, Yamaha got back with me within 72 hours. I was impressed.

Anyway, here's the scoop from Yamaha. The bottom line is that they don't want the native styles, multipads or distinctive voices, etc., of the T3 whether these are onboard, or purchased separately from Yamaha being exported, destributed freely or sold to others. Also, the same is true regarding copying or reverse engineering the technology from the T3.. Yamaha will agressively protect these things from being stolen, sold, exchanged, or given to others. Otherwise we are free to use our machines in any way we wish. As I said, Steve was very kind, helpful, and answered every question clearly, concisely, and to my satisfaction. I was very pleased.

Actually, I had my fears allayed, and hope to become a T3 owner soon.

Rob

Any more questions?

Steve

#252207 - 12/31/08 03:09 PM Re: Yamaha owners please note
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A follow up question or two, Steve...

Let's say you have a Yamaha product, and use it for commercial song production. Does using the Intro or Ending unaltered on say a jingle or commercial production infringe copyright? How much of the canned Intro would have to be changed for it NOT to be, (if it is)?

And secondly, once again you use a Yamaha product. You make a sequence using the styles, but then use another manufacturer's product to play back the sound (let's say you use a Roland product for it's piano) on a commercial work, but it's the Yamaha style that is driving it. Is this copyright infringement?

#252208 - 12/31/08 07:01 PM Re: Yamaha owners please note
Anonymous
Unregistered

None of these issues arise in your kids' bedroom.

#252209 - 01/01/09 09:56 AM Re: Yamaha owners please note
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
"And secondly, once again you use a Yamaha product. You make a sequence using the styles, but then use another manufacturer's product to play back the sound (let's say you use a Roland product for it's piano) on a commercial work, but it's the Yamaha style that is driving it. Is this copyright infringement?"

Yes, it is.

All Yamaha "preset" Styles on the Tyros3 are copyrighted. If you use a copyrighted Style for commercial purposes, let's say for instance selling a CD with Yamaha copyrighted material on it, that would be copyright infringement. If you, on the other hand, play a Tyros3 in a Night Club, etc., and use "preset" Yamaha styles during your performance - that would NOT be considered copyright infringement, as long as the intellectual property itself i.e. Styles, Multipads, SA2 Voices, etc. are NOT distributed, either freely to others (who personally themselves don't own a Tyros3) or sold - with the intention of personal gain or profit: either profit on your end or that of a 3rd party.

Happy New Year..

All the best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-01-2009).]

#252210 - 01/01/09 10:02 AM Re: Yamaha owners please note
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
All Yamaha "preset" Styles on the Tyros3 are copyrighted. If you use a copyrighted Style for commercial purposes, let's say for instance selling a CD with Yamaha copyrighted material on it, that would be copyright infringement. If you on the other hand play a Tyros3 in a Night Club, etc., and use "preset" Yamaha styles during your performance - that would NOT considered copyright infringement, as long as the intellectual property itself i.e. Styles, Multipads, SA2 Voices, etc. are NOT distributed, either freely to others (who personally themselves don't own a Tyros3) or sold - with the intention of personal gain or profit - either profit on your end or that of a 3rd party.

Happy New Year..

All the best,
Mike

Motif arpeggios are used all day long on commercial recordings. I hardly beleiev one could not use a Yamaha style in the making of a CD. Did Yamaha pay for the Whiter Shade of Pale Style? No they changed it slightly even though there is no question as to what it is. Yamaha doesn't want anyone to SELL their styles AS STYLES not as recorded music. A Whole lot of Motif users in Studios putting out hit records are in deep shyte if what you are saying is true. A Style is an organized LOOP as are the 6000 arps in the Motif.

No I cannot RESAMPLE the Yamaha and use it in another keyboard legally. But I can record and sell CDs all day long using native voices. I would be shocked to learn different.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252211 - 01/01/09 11:24 AM Re: Yamaha owners please note
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yamaha are trying to market these things as songwriter's tools... How can this be of any use towards making commercial recordings if you can't use the styles?

I don't think you have this quite right, Mike.... or at least I HOPE you don't have

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-01-2009).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online