SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#252087 - 12/30/08 06:02 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
Dnj Offline

make it as easy to "mix & match" ALL style parts on board an arranger KB as it is on software programs....let people put
together in a super EASY WAY all the style parts they want so they will play effortlessly on the KB & you have problem solved.

#252088 - 12/30/08 08:12 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Diki..., yes the DJX was amazing. Why they killed the line.., well we can speculate for days on that one Personally I think the release of the DJXII is what killed the whole line. Many previous owners (myself included) were very excited when we heard there was a second model coming out. There were even rumors that it was going to be a more pro orientated model too. Then they released that gawd awful 2nd version and it went to hell from there. They dropped the LCD for an LED..., made it a terrible color scheme, and they dropped touch sensitive keys. Yammie lost a huge amount of support for it after that. Personally I think Yamaha intentionaly shot themselves in the foot because the original did better than they expected and started to cut into the upper line. I remember reading music mags and looking at pro and private studios featured in articles and wouldn't ya know (during that time) the studio's had Yamaha DJX's

Bill I think you're WAY off on your point. Based on your response..., you're saying that everyone once they mature stick to the traditional styles. I know plenty of people in their mature years who listen to hip hop..., and have been diggin it since the start... Based on your response they're supposed to be listening to the oldies as they mature. Speak for yourself man.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#252089 - 12/30/08 08:27 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:

6. When will these styles be available?

6a. when today’s youngsters mature and retire

If they're male and musicians, they may retire but it's unlikely they'll ever mature.

chas

#252090 - 12/30/08 09:42 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Oh Lord! JUST what the world needs now... A schlager/hiphop wave Or bigband/rap

LOL Thats what I thought when I heard the first RAP being trashing over a remix an old hit song. Look what it started!

I could do without the Schlager styles. Someone should be able to do something with them outside the box. Now the Big Band is sacrosanct.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252091 - 12/30/08 09:59 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
squeak_D Offline

Kingfrog..., that's actually nothing new. Hip Hop and Rap artists have many times in the past reached back and grabbed styles like Jazz, Swing, and even BigBand and remade those into modern styles. It's still popular to hear a Hip Hop groove using a "hip hop jazz kit" with an acoustic walking bass line. Some of those beats were really catchy too.

For example I remember a popular artist (I think it was 2001) who did a very catchy tune that used a beat that could be categorized as "Jazz Hop".., or even "Swing Hop". It was an artist named Blu Cantrell. One of her hit songs was "Waste My Time".., but there was a song on that album called "Swingin" which is probably a very good example of how Hip Hop artists take a style like Jazz/Swing/BigBand and put a Hip Hop twist on it.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-30-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#252092 - 12/30/08 10:21 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Squeak

Not quite sure what you are getting at in your post.

Manufactures load the arrangers with styles of the Target market. (Yes there will always be those that go outside the box, but not enough for the manufactures to cater for)

By and large when people mature, they like to hear what they had in their youth, which these days is more Hip Hop, and so manufactures will incorporate these styles when the target market reaches an age that that target market can afford to buy arrangers with these styles. (How many young ones can afraid an arranger, certainly not enough for arranger manufactures to cater for them as yet)

As I said it’s just a constant cycle.

Regards

Bill

#252093 - 12/30/08 10:55 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
squeak_D Offline

Again Bill I have disagree with you man. Bill you're out of touch with the Hip Hop market. Some people seem to think Hip Hop just started within the last 10 years. Hip Hop and Rap has been around for a good 30 years Bill. Perhaps you don't know this because the industry started in the United States. Does the group SugarHill Gang ring any bells???? Does the year 1979 ring any bells. Hip Hop and Rap have been around for a long time now.., yet these arrangers still cater to the older crowd. They've had 30 years worth of material building up to what you have today in the industry and they still don't do these styles any justice.

They target to the older crowd because it's no secret that the arranger marker have been tapping the pockets of arranger buyers for years. They target the older mature home player for many reasons too. The best example I can give you Bill is simply this. Look at the Tyros 3 and the Motif XS8. Look at the price difference between the two. Does it make sense that you can buy Yamaha's top end 88 keys fully weighted workstation for less than a Tyros 3 and the workstation is built better and built for the pro market.

#252094 - 12/30/08 11:04 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Got to agree with squeak, here, Bill... If you think that current arrangers ARE 'keeping up with the times', sadly I have to inform you that it is YOU who aren't!

There isn't a single style in any TOTL arranger in the hiphop and rap genres that sounds remotely like anything contemporary. Three or four or five years ago? Maybe, but in hiphop, that's a lifetime!

#252095 - 12/30/08 11:08 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
squeak_D Offline

Bill take this into consideration too. There is a very big reason you don't see these arrangers having more modern styles. That's because if they started making them this way.., the keyboard makers would lose a lot of their target market.

A good example Bill is people like yourself. You own a Wersi..., if Wersi suddenly started catering to the modern market how many of their loyal customers do think would stick around? Do you think Yamaha could sell as many Tyros 3's in the states to their target market for nearly $4,000 if it was choc full of modern styles?

The fact that you can buy the Motif XS8 for less than a Tyros 3 speaks volumes.... To say it's numbers is also bullsh*& too. Arranger sales in the US make up just a small number of how HUGE the numbers really are. What arranger makers don't make in the US market they more than make up for in the Euro and Asian markets. They just got smart many years ago and realized that they can get the mature or retired home player to pay a hell of a lot more.

#252096 - 12/30/08 11:31 AM Re: Arrangers and Modern Styles (some personal thoughts)
squeak_D Offline

Bill take a look at this.... The year was 1979..... Do you know how many songs were inspired by this beat???????? This song is iconic in the industry and today is still considered the song and group that started it all..., or at least brought it out from the underground into mainstream Nearly 30 years later and you can still fill the dance floor at a modern club with this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiL9bqvalo

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online