SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#251925 - 12/28/08 05:52 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Crushing is too kind a word for that spanking, Donny...

Anyone notice my Drew Brees missing Dan Marino's single season passing record by a mere 16 yards because the damn defense couldn't stop the Panthers from marching down the field and chewing up the clock at the end (and beating us after a 21 point comeback to boot!)...?

Sad, sad, sad... But congrats to Drew for being only the second 5000 yard+ passer in NFL history

Go Saints.... (in 2009!)

Donny, it's not that you don't have the experience or anything like that, it's just that you seem unable to discuss an arranger without it ALL being good. Just because you have an S900 NOW, doesn't mean that, were you to think about it, you might decide that perhaps the G70 had the better action. Or the T2. Or the SD-1. Or the PA800....

With all your experience having gone through so many different arrangers recently, surely you are in the BEST position to compare different aspects of arranger operation and build. But you seem to always throw away that hard-earned knowledge with an uncritical love of whatever you currently have. Rather than just the usual gushing, I'd be a LOT more interested in a hard critical look at ALL your recent purchases, with a view to what has the best styles, which the best sounds, which the best OS, the best build quality, the best action, etc., etc..

Trying to convince us that it is ALL the PSR S900, after it was ALL the PA800, after it was ALL the E60, after it was ALL the T2 (ad nauseam) just doesn't do your experience justice. SURELY you can come to some sort of comparative analysis that transends what you are currently playing...?

If you could build the perfect Frankenstein's monster arranger out of what you have gone through in the last three years' odyssey, what would it be?

PLEASE don't duck the question with "all S900" because then I'm going to have to do a forum search for quotes from you where you slammed the S900 during your adventures with other arrangers! I KNOW that there is no ONE perfect arranger (and you have ably demonstrated you feel the same!), so just this once, could you try to remain objective and give this a serious think?

I'm honestly interested in how you would put this monster arranger together...

#251926 - 12/28/08 06:29 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm sorry, but the PSR action STILL fails, IMO.

No need to apologize, my friend.

We both know the G70's action feels no more like a piano than a hockey stick looks like a baseball bat.

And yes, I think it's wimpy...all semi-weighted and non-weighted actions feel that way to me.

I know they are a necessary evil for arrangers....but I detest playing solo piano on them.

That's why I carry my new Yamaha KX8 with me...it's light and compact like the S900 so it's not a problem, and well worth it when I can be playing piano on something that actually feels like one.

I know you like to carry only one keyboard, but that's your decision...there are many of us here who sometimes like to use two, for different reasons perhaps, but two nevertheless.

Keep your stick on the ice, and Happy New Year.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-28-2008).]

#251927 - 12/28/08 06:30 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
sorry...double post.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-28-2008).]

#251928 - 12/28/08 06:46 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Dnj Online   content

Diki......I know I sound very confusing when I describe my experiences on the arrangers I buy, play, & perform with on stage & also sell off when done with after experimentation. Like a new girfriend its exciting for a few weeks then things start to change
The fact is that there are all kinds of good ones for "DIFFERENT USES"....and when I say that I mean......for example ....I loved the G70 heavy duty key-bed, touch screen, quality build, most sounds not all families.. & makeup tools, cover tools etc,...& would have been a great studio piece but to lug it around day & night, some sounds that I wasn't happy with like the Brass & no onboard speakers for those tiny gigs personal in your face monitors was the downfall & ultimatly the straw that broke the camels back.But at home in studio it would work very well to a point.
Korg left me wanting more & more styles, the OS is frustrating at best with its folder system and such. There were many really nice features but for my needs they weren't the right ones for my performing qualifications.
All my Ketron experiences were mostly good to a point & definitly had its strengths in sound & style departments, OS once learned is very practical in the way it utilizes a hard drive, key-bed was nice also but it took many hours to set it up to my live playing on stage standards & even then it was a wrestling match controlling all parameters together.
All my Yamaha units is & has been the best over all are just simply the "easiest" & most workable sounds & styles in a nice tight great sounding package in all aspects of operating available for MY needs in my EVERYDAY life performing & traveling all over. Tyros line is just as good I enjoyed them but in the end the on-board speakers make the difference in very small gig situation & with the Full Bore sound reinforcement PA for my huge audiences it sounds awesome. The light weight is a breeze to transport, the light key-bed isn't the best but its just enough for me to expressively do what I have too.
There is way to many things to keep adding on with these units in one post....but I would gladly discuss anything regarding features and how I feel about them in detail if needed. For now it's the S900........it's doing the job admirably under pressure & guess all in all when its said and done its the one for my needs.
I hope down the road they improve it a bit with new models & added feature improvements as with all manufacturers products.

ciao

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-28-2008).]

#251930 - 12/29/08 07:01 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Dnj Online   content

E60 was close to teh G70 in many ways read above...a bit lighter but I didn't need 76 keys, although many fine ones the lack of good "goto" sounds that I needed, no break button, no part EQ, no color display, no mic input, eventually became a gig burden for my needs. Its a very nice Arranger for the right player it just didn't fit my needs as a very busy on the go singer/player.

#251931 - 12/30/08 09:59 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Lucky2Bhere Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruno123:
Sorry Squeak and Lucky, although the Steinway piano is of very high quality and most piano players love it, it is not know for it’s easy action. The piano players who are accomplished players love the resistance it give them room for expression. Yamaha yes softer. Baldwin close and Bosendorfer are not as resistant as the Steinway.

I base my opinion the Steinway grand in my home and the many I have tuned.

Piano Technician
John C.

[/QUOTE

John,

If a Steinway is “not known for its easy action,” then IMO it should be.

I had said:

“Easy action…light as a feather, yet the feeling of a solid key under your finger tips. Your finger feels like it’s going into a groove…dead center into the middle of each key. What a delight to play. I could have played it all night and not got fatigued.”

I should have prefaced that with something like: The dozen or so Steinway pianos I’ve had the pleasure of playing give me a feeling of……easy action, etc.

Yes, I’ve heard of pianists who fly their pianos around the world with them when they go on tour and they’re not all Steinway’s. Everyone has their preference.

My preference right now, if I could afford one, would be a……Steinway! Especially since I’ve spent the last two weeks shopping for a new piano and trying many different brands and models. I also like the action and sound of the Yamaha U1 and their grands and baby grands. Two different animals (Steinway and Yamaha)…I wish I could have them both.

I didn’t realize there were so many piano makers out there especially considering these rough economic times and the fact that many don’t really care to take the time to learn an instrument properly. I’ve learned a lot about the mechanics of a piano from the different salesmen, but after the dust settles, I really don’t care what a Steinway action is all about and who doesn’t like the action. I like it and that’s what matters to me.

I appreciated your input here though. I've always had respect for you piano technicians. You guys probably get the least credit for what you do. It’s the players that take the limelight. It’s like owning a Ferrari. The owner gets to show it off, but who produces that delicious hum you hear from the engine? The mechanics, of course. In the piano world, if not for you folks, where would us players be? Good playing is not just about making music. It’s also about owning an exceptional instrument and having folks like you available to keep it fine tuned and maintained!

Lucky

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online