SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#251915 - 12/27/08 12:17 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Go play with your toys..

#251916 - 12/27/08 12:58 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Dnj Offline

Quote:

Here is another critical point....Most folks using these light feel keyboards do not rely or want keyboard dynamics...a must for me..
They...including Donny... ...want a wide open sound at the touch...mostly organ or brass sounds...(another hint..they won't use a hold pedal either.. )
I believe Donny even sets his velocity touch at the level setting that almost nulifies dynamics...

A solid full size semi weighted keyboard aids in expressive playing...such as guitar, piano, and actually any sound this side of the organ..

Keep those PSR keys ..I want a man's key-bed...

Well your wrong on the velocity & pedal counts .....but again, the proof is in the pudding.....what it "sounds like" in the end result & what people hear is what counts be it heavy weight which I hate....
or lightweight fast action keys who cares the talent is "in you always" so someone thinks they have the greatest key-feel but then someone sound like crap because they are not good players wheres the logic in that?...lets add in the old 61 vs 76 key arguments too that's always good for a pissin' contest..
This discussion again must be backed up with SOUND DEMOS by the participants or its just here say & personal choice as usual...sorry. Or maybe listen to the great Tyros demos & S900 demos with their lightweight keybeds demos I dont hear a problem with the sonic realism do you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImsxV32ii8U

http://www.music-tyros.com/en/movies/index.html
http://www.music-tyros.com/en/playing/index.html
http://www.music-tyros.com/en/playing/index2.html

#251917 - 12/27/08 02:14 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Sorry..but after listening again to these demos...It re affirmed my belief that a better key-bed will serve better dynamics...None of the PSR or Tyros3 demos showed this in a favorable light..After listening to the Tyros3 Concert piano..I revisited the Chris Halon G70 piano demo{new tone video)...You tell me you don't hear a dynamic difference?

And in part it has to be the quality of a key bed..
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=656&ParentId=18

Go to videos and select New Tones video..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 12-27-2008).]

#251918 - 12/27/08 08:43 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Dnj Offline

Well that's ONE opinion & is your right...
for me it's Yamaha.....next guy might love Korg.....so where is this all going now?

#251919 - 12/27/08 09:25 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
I revisited the Chris Halon G70 piano demo{new tone video)...You tell me you don't hear a dynamic difference?

And in part it has to be the quality of a key bed..

That's not a bad piano sound Fran, although it isn't to every one's taste, being a tad too tubby and thick (like the alliteration? )especially for us Yamaha players.

Just think how much more responsive to dynamics the G70's piano would be with an 88 note weighted hammer action instead of the wimpy semi-weighted keybed...may as well save some money (and weight) and go with an even wimpier non-weighted action for all the good this one does for realistic piano feel.

But, you seem to like it, and it works for you, so who am I to argue with someone who clings so doggedly to their arranger of choice?

Like me, and my PSR-S900, you have found your Holy Grail arranger, and that's a good thing, and you trying to convince me to change to your choice would be every bit as useless as me trying to change you over to mine, so let's not waste each other's time.

Keep your stick on the ice, and if women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-28-2008).]

#251920 - 12/28/08 02:12 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's kind of strange to see someone happy with the S900 action dare to call the G70 action 'wimpy'! What would you use to describe the S900 action in that case? What IS the word for WAY wimpier than 'wimpy'?

The whole point of an arranger's action, even anything's, IMO, other than something that is ONLY used for piano sounds, is versatility. Not TOO light to play piano on successfully, not so heavy that organ and other fast sounds are impeded.

IMO, the PSR series excels for ultra light sound operation, although I would prefer a more rounded key shape to facilitate organ smears, and also a heavier construction to easily absorb such abuse (I have no doubt that my personal touch would break something on a PSR ), but it is SO bad for piano that you can easily hear the unspoken admission by it's users...

They would rather buy an 88 than use that action for serious piano use.

Trouble is, that kind of defeats the whole idea of an arranger... one keyboard to do it all. If, OTOH, you are looking for a multi keyboard rig, I'm sorry, but the PSR action STILL fails, IMO. There are FAR better fast actions, there are MUCH better waterfall actions for organ, and there are great 76 and 88 wooden weighted actions to chose from.

Neither fish nor fowl, and yet it's users have the nerve to call a G70's action 'wimpy'! The PSR series is so far beyond 'wimpy', words fail me! But if you have myasthenia gravis, perhaps it's the one for you!

You may indeed argue against the G70 being the best all-round arranger, but knocking the action almost universally praised by most, even by those who don't like the arranger itself , is a stretch at best.

If you need to play piano AND organ from the same keyboard, and do both to the best that can be achieved, given that a compromise between these extremes of actions is obligatory, you can do no better than the G70's action...

#251921 - 12/28/08 03:06 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I have no doubt that my personal touch would break something on a PSR

Been there, done that.

#251922 - 12/28/08 03:49 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Dnj Offline

Again its personal taste & comfort level...sorry.

#251923 - 12/28/08 04:49 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Indeed, Donny... But don't forget, you gushed about the G70 action while you had one. Just as you gush about everything (and put down everything else) while you have it.

And you will bash whatever you love now, as soon as you change. So when your personal taste and comfort level changes so constantly, what value is that pronouncement?

#251924 - 12/28/08 05:25 PM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Dnj Offline

Diki...

I call em as I use em...plain & simple......
I have no loyalty...I have real world usability for NOW or as long as it suits my taste nothing more...even so it's still MY COMFORT LEVEL & OPINION nothing more......
right now the S900 is the "bees knees" revisited for me 2nd time around 40 gigs this month and still riding strong....great little ax...sorry if I seem excited but My EAGLES just made the playoffs crushing the Cowboys

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online