Speecheless,

Impuls.:-)

#251791 - 12/24/08 04:18 PM Re: Not Afriad to post music
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Wow.

Great Stuff! - Where's the rest of it?!?!?!?
For some reason I only got 2.32 of it.

Is that your own song? If it is, it's very well written, simple and solid - in a really good way. Very plaintive and emotional without being saccharine - nice.

Well done KF, very well done - nice production too - very hot master (volume wise) stands out a mile with a nice warm bottom end.

A question - did you sing that "as" Neil Diamond, or is that, essentially, your real voice?

Thanks for the kind words all. Yeah its my song done at home.
Unfortunately (or fortunately since I had a good career and saw the world) its me through and through, I cannot get away from the sound. When I try (and I tried LOL) it sounds way contrived. So I just go with it. I knew a long time ago I wasn't gpoing to be a "star" My music never fit the "times"nor did I write for the times. My "sound" has been a blessing and a curse indeed.

I write what comes to me whether a big band tune or a mushy love song. The CD is the blank canvas.

The Arranger allows me to go places I never could go before because I don't have the arranging chops for many styles even though I have written in them (or made grand attempts). Its a hoot to take an old song with a shuffle feel and horns and let the ""professionals" do it.

That song I did the parts because,well that kind of song is easy to arrange. Not much there. Simple.

As a OMB Im afraid everything I would perform would sound alittle like Neil was doing it, and if you know Neils music there is a conundrum only few have. His voice is very "attached" to his music. Others covering his songs (evem Elvis) do them no justice and they sound foolish unless they do what UB40 did with Red Red Wine and completely remake them. The same thing goes when Neil tries to cover others songs. Something is amiss. Who wants to hear four hours of Neil singing Billy Joel, James Taylor and /or Kenny Loggins? LOL.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 12-24-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#251792 - 12/24/08 04:25 PM Re: Not Afriad to post music
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

good job...but better then a Legend like Neil?...

copy cat voices are always judged harshly just like SZ's beach bum & Sting....having your own original sound is what should be strived for so there's no comparison.

Anyway, Kingfrog real nice song, well done, thanks for sharing. Do you have anything that doesn't sound like Neil recorded?

d.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-24-2008).]

Copykat voice are inded judged harshly. You should read some of the reviews I have been "blessed" with. LOL I learned early and painfully you cannot believe the good ones because then you have to believe the bad ones.

A San Diego paper once said "His performance reminded me of every reason I hate Neil Diamond....so I guess he was great".

Another memorable one from Atlantic City went along the lines of

"He looked like Neil but he sounded absolutely nothing like Neil, I guess anyone with a bad haircut and a sparkling shirt singing Sweet Caroline could get an audience to react like he did"

Amazingly I made a career and was paid sometimes stupid money to so this 10 years before that review!! LOL/.

Unfortunately I sound what I sound like. I did not set out to be Neil. I was never a fan of Neils. I hated the comparison people made. I tried like hell to change it. But My phrasing was always compared to Neil all the way back to the 70's.

ANd yes I hated it. That is until John Stuart of Legends in Concert saw me. He tried for two years to get me to do the Neil thing. I finally succumbed and it was a wonderful ride for 12 years full time. I finally had an outlet for MY SONGS. in fact I was the only act that sold original material in the gift shops and souvenir stands. When people asked for me singing Neil I told them to buy the real thing. Made no sense to me to sell me singing Neil on CD. Performing yes.

So Nope I'm afraid I'm just an "almost" hack who has no voice of his own. LOL.

Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#251793 - 12/24/08 04:28 PM Re: Not Afriad to post music
Dnj Offline

May I ask why you stopped touring Neil is popular as ever.& did Neil ever catch your show?

#251794 - 12/24/08 04:29 PM Re: Not Afriad to post music
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Yes wow.

Cousin Ken

#251795 - 12/24/08 04:37 PM Re: Not Afriad to post music
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I would be "More" than happy to have what you have!!

Excellent!!!

#251796 - 12/24/08 04:46 PM Re: Not Afriad to post music
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
May I ask why you stopped touring Neil is popular as ever.& did Neil ever catch your show?

I am sure Neil knows who I am but He only really went to shows in LA. He caught Super Diamond. (A Neil act in heavy Metal Great show). I heard his brother Harvey saw me and his mother Rose went to the Vegas shows.

The reason I stopped? I could finally afford to. Actually I lived in Las Vegas and got a contract to work in Myrtle beach for a few months with a different Producer. One of the keyboard players and I got pretty close and after four months we fell in love. I took advantage of the housing bubble in Las Vegas and sold my home in 6 hours! Moved to Sc and we built a house and banked some money. I had one more contract with Legends in Branson to do. We got married and I left for Branson. two weeks into the contract my wife is diagnosed with breast cancer and the compnay would not let me finish my contract in the SC show, So I stayed in Branson while my wife went through he thing. As a 30 year musician in MB her friends wanted to throw a benefit for Breast Cancer' Legends would not support doing it in their parking lot!! I came home and vowed never to work for Legends again and never leave home for an extended time again. We had some money paid off everything and I took a part time job in a music store.

Three years later all is well. The wife is fine and performing her solo. I am writing again. I have been asked to host a Karaoke/dance show in the Spring a couple nights a week (full circle LOL). The wife is begging me to to a duo with her. I may do that since she can carry the show. Life is good,

(Now I will take a one night job as Neil for stupid money if its less than a 3 hour plane ride maybe longer if the money is really stupid)

Neil knows all of us that performed with the major shows. I had a chance to meet him since I worked with Ronnie Tutt's (his and previously Elvis' drummer)daughters in one of the shows I did on the high seas. And He is always open to meeting us as well. But its really was not that important to me except to ask him "whats up with the chair with ears" in the Song I Am I Said. LOL. I did not need the "promo" Many Neil impersonators have pictures with him. Neil likes us (we keep him out there I guess).

I billed myself as the THIRD BEST Neil Diamond tribute artist in the world.

1. All the other Neil Impersonators according to their promo

2. Neil Himself

3. Me

It worked! Go figure. Now you might understand why my moniker and LLC is aptly named KingFrog Productions.

I am truly a frog who became a king for a few moments in time in many venues from the Joes Bar and Grill karaoke in 1984 to the Daytona Speedway and points between. I have great memories.

Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#251797 - 12/26/08 06:57 AM Re: Not Afriad to post music
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Kingfrog,
I have one question for you....Is there CD's of you available in stores...or are they available from you (website or whatever)?? I would like to buy one.

I guess that is the ultimate compliment.

Lee

#251798 - 12/26/08 07:01 AM Re: Not Afriad to post music
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Not only do you do a great job of impersonating Neil Diamond, but you also write and arrange very well.

Nice work.

Ian

#251799 - 12/26/08 09:16 AM Re: Not Afriad to post music
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good stuff! Neil's not mty favorite, either, but you do him well, and have the voice to stand on your own, although, with the similarities, that would probably be hard, comparison-wise.

Russ

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online