SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#251712 - 12/26/08 09:02 PM Re: The Safe Zone: where you can drop off your thoughts safely.
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I appreciate you folks. "Warts" and all, this is a really neat place that Nigel has created.
Russ

It is my pleasure Russ. I love all of you. It takes all of us to make a community. Even if we have the occasional rough spot it really is worth it to know you all.

#251713 - 12/26/08 09:40 PM Re: The Safe Zone: where you can drop off your thoughts safely.
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Regrets-(2) I regret agreeing with the Elementary School guidance counselor that my step-daughter ought to be allowed to visit her Dad for a week many years ago. He wound up kidnapping her, holding her for a month in a rural farm house. We finally got her back, but she's never been the same...

I also regret not raising our kids more in the church. Jobs, a lack of motivation, etc. are the excuses I'll cite. Also, relocating here from Pittsburgh, we've found most churches to be more the "fire & brimstone" variety which isn't something either patty or I are comfortable with. I attended church weekly until I was 18-19 and rather enjoyed the sermons I heard. Never once did I hear "unless you do this, this and that, you will never got to heaven..." On the other hand, we've instilled a very strong foundation of personal ethics in them and have had an on-going discussion about God with each of them...To say we don't go to church, doesn't
mean we're not spiritual at all...

Appreciations-My wife, Patty...Came from a very modest, rather harsh homelife with no advanced education. She's within months of obtaining her Masters in Nursing. Oh, did I say she's pretty hot, too?

Failed goals-I never could really figure out the proper transfer of weight in executing a slap shot while on the ice. I can skate very well and understand the game...Always could make nice passes, I had a decent wrist shot, but ripping one from the blue line past the goalie's head never really worked out too well...

Failed goals #2-Not sure I ever really, really tried at this but I would've like to dance better. I have no rhythm from my knees down and look like I'm having some sort of seizure when I've tried to dance in the past. It's painful to watch I've been told...

Views on life-Well, short of a full treatise, I'll just say I strongly advocate personal responsibility and being nice. If you have those two traits in healthy doses you can go a long way in this world.

Station in life-Married for 20 years, three kids...all healthy, pretty smart, nice people. We have a nice big house and a nice big yard. Bills are paid...Food's falling out of the frig/cupboards...I get paid to play great music for people who really enjoy it and are very nice to be around. Things, all in all, are pretty good.

Music-It is simply one of the passions of my life. It has been a life-long friend. When I was a little boy, I'd march around the dining room table to "Little Red Caboose" over and over again while my Mom ironed. In high school, the hours I spent with headphones on listening to and learning from Kansas, Billy Joel, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, etc. kept me going sometimes. Discovering Broadway music in my late teens opened up a whole new world for me. Playing in a road band that did original material and played the college circuit was different and a hoot. Playing bass and fronting a trio in the next project was also rewarding. Next came commercials and jingle work which paid well but was pretty dry. Now, for the last 13+ years, doing my current work mostly as a solo has been wonderful. What's next musically? Who knows...

Balancing family/music...This I'm working on. I have a pang of guilt when I turn work away because I know we can always use the money. However, a year ago I started blocking out Friday evenings in the Fall so my wife and I can watch our daughter play the flute in the Troy HS marching band. I've had no regrets about this and am now looking for other times to block out for family stuff. I must confess, this year may be the last NYE gig I book that keeps me away at midnight. For different reasons throughout our marriage, we've never been together as the new year rang in and we've many kisses to make up for...

Hope my answers weren't too long...In closing, former hoops coach Jim Valvano gave a legendary speech at the first ESPY's award where he, fighting cancer and in the last few weeks of his life, won the first Arthur Ashe award for courage. This section has stuck with me ever since...

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Each of my kids knows this speech...I'm glad for that...

Cheers-

I cannot read your post enough. I laughed today,I thought today, and your post brought a tear. I envy you guys (and my wife)who can play covers from all artists for hours and hours. I only got 20 minutes a 6 act 2 hour show twice a day.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#251714 - 12/30/08 11:14 PM Re: The Safe Zone: where you can drop off your thoughts safely.
Lucky2Bhere Offline

More Lucky thoughts...

Diki often asks for folks who critique others to "put up or shut up." I can see his point but in this way. It helps me to understand better what someone is saying if I hear their playing and where they are on the musical ladder. In my book, they don't get judged...they only get "understood."

Personally, I simply want to hear what others are doing no matter what level they’re at. I heard a very poor player doing Spanish Eyes, but he had some good ideas in there. It didn’t matter that his fingering was poor…..I listening for the “ideas.” Scott Yee does this too!

Lucky

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 12-31-2008).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online